Could It Be Dry Fip?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, the barium contrast shows what is in the intestines. As we understand, the intestines are blocked by masses of poo. With reservation we not being no vets, perhaps dont read the x-ray correctly. Which is fully possible of course - Im not accustomed to look into x-rays pics.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Good suggestion. The x-ray either does show a massive poo, or does it not. Its no rocket science, andy decent vet should immediately see. You dont even need to tell very much unless he gives follow up questions, just ask if this is typical for faeces masses - or what does it shows.
Tell also Barium contrast was used.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

arkansawyer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There is an "ask vet" group on Reddit and I have posted it there.

It just seems odd that a vet could miss that. Also, wouldn't they feel that when they palpate his stomach? When our other cat was constipated they basically knew just by feel.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am not a vet, nor do I pretend to be. I immediately jump to constipated based on the images because

1) I have seen x-rays of my cats not constipated and they look more like everything in the background. Ignore the broken leg, but you can see stool in his system but they aren't compacted and are more spread out. He just hadn't gone while injured but went once he was medicated and safe ...
2) I have had x-rays explained to me by my vet when she was looking for constipation or blockage. She told me blockage we would see a black air section then white or solid white near the end... which is what I see on yours.

3) I follow several foster Moms online and one recently had a problem with a constipated kitten whose x-ray looked much like yours (the foster Mom was asking for donations for the surgery, I can't find it right now but it was backed up twice as far as yours so surgery likely isn't a concern for you at this point).

I have no idea why your vet thinks that the x-ray isn't indicative of a constipated cat. I don't know why they want additional tests instead of trying to clear the intestines. Maybe the vet thinks that is normal amount or the barium makes it more obvious? Generally (according to my vet when Rocket was having issues) the white in the image means it is dried out and not going to move on its own.

As I am not a vet, I would seek a second opinion and confirm that it isn't constipation. We could be wrong and it could be something else entirely.

arkansawyer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That is definitely interesting. Do his clinical symptoms (unproductive trips to litterbox, vocalizing in litterbox, anorexia, vomiting clear liquid) seem consistent with constipation?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
From http://www.petmd.com/cat/conditions/digestive/c_ct_constipation_obstipation
  • Straining to defecate with small or no fecal volume
  • Hard, dry bowel movement
  • Infrequent or complete lack of defecation
  • Small amount of liquid stool with mucus in it - sometimes with blood present, produced after prolonged straining to defecate (known as tenesmus)
  • Occasional vomiting
  • Lack of appetite
  • Depression
  • Large intestine (colon) filled with hard, compacted fecal material
  • Swelling around the anus

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would say yes. The vocalizing would be the equivalent of a human child who cries when they try to go but are constipated.

I would get the second opinion and rule out the basic before proceeding further with the more complex possibilities.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
We are talking back and forth. During the time have you started with any of our suggestions for home remedies on constipation? Some of them need working time to get results.

arkansawyer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He is at the vet right now so there is nothing we can do. We just left a message expressing our concern that he might be constipated. I will keep everyone updated, but in the meantime appreciate any and all advice. This has been very helpful.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes enema is best. Liquid paraffine and or this glycerine sliver next best

arkansawyer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We would want to receive a clinical diagnosis of constipation before putting any undue stress on him. Hopefully we'll hear from the vet soon.

arkansawyer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The vet on Reddit suggested that he is constipated but likely not enough to stop eating. Still, I think we'll probably push the vet for an enema.

arkansawyer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The vet is quite confident that it is not in fact fip (phew).

The absence of a fever, strange litterbox routines and the absence of something that happens to the eyes in 80% of dry fip cases make it extremely unlikely.

For now the diagnosis is an IBD flareup. They did give him an enema, a steroid, and we will be picking him up in about an hour.

So I guess I am curious to hear from people whether his symptoms are consistent with the current diagnosis.

Note that he was diagnosed with IBD when we first got him because of the severity of his coccidia infection. He has received weekly then bi-weekly then monthly B12 injections since that time and not had any issues. We recently tried to start him on some wet food (he was doing dry food exclusively because of that diagnosis) but I guess we'll stop that.

arkansawyer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He has done well since receiving a steroid injection and appetite stimulant on Monday. Basically back to himself.

However, this morning was a bit strange. He was walking around the beg with his mouth slightly ajar, purring loudly. He stopped meowing when I started petting him and then when I stopped he continued walking around "meowing" silently, which I have never seen before. Also, his stomach is clearly sensitive to touch. We can't full get fip out of our heads and this does make us a bit concerned. Although I guess the IBD is just as likely to cause that.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
IBD does make a certain amount of sense but usually that responds favorably to a wet diet because the food usually has less additives. In most cases IBD problems are triggered by an ingredient in the food or can be a misdiagnose of a food sensitivity (for example, to a specific protein like chicken). If it is IBD you might want to consider raw or dehydrated/freeze dried raw nuggets (Freeze-Dried Cat Food - Free shipping at Chewy.com) because you can control the product better and they are the bare minimum of processed. We have a great forum here about raw feeding if you are interested in checking that option out. Raw & Home-Cooked Cat Food

Here are some threads from others about managing IBD if you are interested in looking more into management options that could help prevent more flares. In most cases it is diet management but some people have had success with supplements too:

Ibd, Diarrhea, Med Problems?
IBD first line treatment
Ultrasound Results (IBD, Eosinophilic Gastroenteritis, or Lymphoma)

I would probably go and get a second opinion from a different vet if that sensitivity hasn't resolved in a week or two. It is understandable as a recovery symptom but shouldn't last long. Or see if there is a second vet willing to just look over his records and give an opinion.

arkansawyer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks, Kieka.

Finally have a copy of his bloodwork. Would appreciate if someone could look at this and see if there are any red flags for fip.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Has your vet tried antibiotics? The cat may have an infection in his gastro-intestinal tract.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would just work on resolving the constipation issue and then work on a wet diet. This could easily be a one off thing. My kitty does have IBD and is prone to constipation but that does not mean that all episodes of constipation means IBD. The x-ray definitely shows constipation. My kitty would stop eating and start vomiting small amounts of liquid when his x-ray looked like that. Has he had an enema? That would certainly help.