Couch scratching - what works best/cheapest?

ziggy'smom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've always bragged about the fact that I have a dozen cats (mostly fosters) and I hardly have any damage to my couch, but pretty soon I'm not going to be able to claim that anymore. We recently moved and in our new place the cats have access to the back of the couch and apparently they like it
. Now they've even started to scratch the sides too which they didn't do much before. I have scratchers near the couch but apparently it's not helping.
So, what can I do to get them out of this habit? I saw some double stick tape at the pet store that's made for the purpose but it was way too expensive for my taste. Can I get some double stick tape somewhere that is cheaper? I need a tape that is wide of course.
Any other tried an true suggestions would be appreciated too.

Thanks

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of the cheapest solutions is a loose fitting cover that moves under the cats paws. They don't like it when they try to scratch on something and it has no resistance.

You could try it out with just tossing sheets over the couch or a blanket big enough to cover all of it.

Make sure you have some scratching posts in the living room, preferable close to the couch, that you can redirect them to. They have the urge to stretch and scent mark in that room, so that should help by giving them a place near the spot they're used to using.

IMO, I don't think any sort of tape is a safe solution. I have several that like to chew on and attempt to eat tape. So far no one has tried to eat the sofa cover.

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree, cover with a loose cover. Although they may crawl under and do some damage from under the cover. They are such buggers!

Or get some plywood and lean it up against the couch. Not the prettiest solution, but it is a preventative. Or use masonite or whatever is available and sturdy.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^That could potentially be hidden under a cover. If you go with a premade store bought cover they do fit in such a way that a cat shouldn't be able to climb under and up... that or mine aren't that inventive.
They will however discover they can play under the cover near the floor, so it you have ambush cats your feet may not be safe.

Another thought, what sort of cat furniture shares the room?

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you put some furniture at back of the couch? Some bookcases would be nice, and functional!

I was thinking cover too, except if it is loose they will just go underneath and scratch anyway. You'll have to fasten it at the bottom to keep them out.

merrytreecats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If the back of the couch is the only place they're doing it, I would move the couch so it's against the wall. And when you do, have a couple of good scratching posts ready for them to redirect this habit because it has certainly become one by now.

salsero71

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have the same problem, both my babies fance the sides of two armchairs as their scratching posts.
I have a water bottle that is used for spraying plants (so it has a very fine mist) but I spray it at the cats immediately if they attack the chairs. It's enough of a deterrent to put them off clawing the chairs most of the time now. In fact if Salem sees me reach for the bottle (which I have to keep near for immediate response!), it's usually enough to put him off his planned attack.

Perhaps you could see if something like this might work? But I'm aware it's a strategy that requires you to be in the room often enough that each attempt to claw the sofa can be countered with a quick spray until the action/response connection is learned.

taryn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
A can of compressed air like what is used for cleaning computers. Do NOT spray the cat with it, you just hit the trigger and it makes a noise they hate. I do it when Nuts gets on the counter and it gets him to get down. Normally I either have to get up or pretend I'm getting up to get him off the counter. A quick short shot is all it takes for Nuts to get down. I like it because I can sit on the couch and if he gets up there all I have to do is hit the trigger and he gets down.

It also isn't that expensive.

I'm a computer geek so I am never without a can of compressed air. I decided to try it and it worked. I was sitting on the computer Nuts got up and I decided to grab the can of air next to me and it worked. Like I said never ever EVER spray it on the cat or at the cat if you are in very close proximity.

This is what I'm talking about in case you don't know what it is: http://www.amazon.com/Compressed-Air...5072453&sr=8-1

Taryn

okuda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Winston was really bad for this. We ended up chucking away one sofa cause he put a big old hole in it. I just got that double sided tape and stuck it to all the corners of the sofa. It don't look too pretty, but it works! He now scratches the carpeted cat tree.