Cost of Euthanasia

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

texasrose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I feel for you. Palliative treatment for Maddie (my avatar) was far too stressful for her, she fought and spat out her meds and couldn’t eat without vomiting. Wasn’t long at all before I had her put to sleep.
Molly is still purring, eating and seems happy until meds. But she is rapidly losing weight and the meds are making her so anxious that I know I am on limited time. I have another cat the same age that is doing great as well as 3 others.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Molly is still purring, eating and seems happy until meds. But she is rapidly losing weight and the meds are making her so anxious that I know I am on limited time. I have another cat the same age that is doing great as well as 3 others.
Glad you won’t be catless when Molly’s time comes.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am shocked at these prices 😳
And I wonder why they're so high, after all it's just an injection and does not involve deep knowledge of the veterinary profession.

Just to give you a comparison, over here in Italy it is €70, both at the clinic and at home.
It's 10 times less, and the drug used is the same.
Shocking!

texasrose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update -- I found a local veterinarian that charges $75 as long as there is not a cremation fee. So, that's good. Unfortunately, Molly's nose has begun to bleed, so it's probably time. I have waited too long in the past, and don't want to repeat that mistake.

texasrose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We actually live on acreage, so we have a cemetery for our pets. We have lived here for 25 years and have always had six plus dogs and cats at any given time. Although they all live a long time, we have had to bury quite a few over the years.

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
We actually live on acreage, so we have a cemetery for our pets. We have lived here for 25 years and have always had six plus dogs and cats at any given time. Although they all live a long time, we have had to bury quite a few over the years.
~ If you have property that's the best way ...

texasrose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh my gosh. It is so hard to decide when the right time is to have a pet put to sleep. Kitty has lost a pound in 3 weeks, but is still doing all of her normal stuff. I don't want to wait too long, but making that appointment is so hard.

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
~ If kitty is not suffering but happy and comfortable I would consider a "natural death" — letting the organ system gradually shut down as natural physiology takes course. This is not painful and kitty often will purr and relax at the end when they hear and feel us and know that we are there with them .
Several abandoned cats have found my yard at end of life to peacefully depart. Nothing dramatic or scary — just saddens for the humans. 💕:catlove:

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh my gosh. It is so hard to decide when the right time is to have a pet put to sleep. Kitty has lost a pound in 3 weeks, but is still doing all of her normal stuff. I don't want to wait too long, but making that appointment is so hard.
This is the part of pet ownership that sucks. :(
With the three I lost close together, all 3 had definite diagnosis. I chose to let two of them go on the table when the vet told me what was wrong, because they were both breathing strangely, and weren't eating and spending their time hiding.
With Tag, he continued to be himself up until the last few weeks, and his decline was rapid. I can honestly say I feel that little guy was fighting because he didn't want to leave me. The vet even said, when we talked a week or so after Tag had passed with the vets help, that she felt like Tag was beginning the dying process and it wasn't going to be pleasant or peaceful *for him* based on all that was wrong. When it's an easy natural passing, it's sad for us, but you can't ask for anything more than they just go to sleep and peacefully slip away.
When they stop being themselves (cuddlers no longer want you to touch them, hoover vacs no longer care about food, etc.) I start making plans. I watch them very closely.
I am so sorry, this is so hard. :hugs:

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I honestly think it shouldn’t be charged for at all.
People are going through enough already.

Where I work it is $140.00 if the owner wants to be present.

At the cat hospital it was over $500.00.

I did just find out today that the cost of the euthanasia solution has gone up from being a couple of dollars a bottle to being $66.00 for a bottle half the size.

Pharmaceutical companies rule the financial world it seems, to me.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Where I work it is $140.00 if the owner wants to be present.
I don't know if the vet clinic that I take mine to has different charges if the owner is present, I was there with both of mine that they have euthanized. They only charge for the euthanasia itself. I had mine cremated and used the same service that they use so everything was taken care of from the clinic. The service called me as far as level I wanted and if I wanted the ashes back which I did. I paid them directly.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't think it is a shortened procedure as far as harming or causing undue suffering. I am guessing that more time is taken when the owner is present. I know things weren't rushed in any way for me. They have a separate room for euthanasia and I was told I could take as much time holding my cat before the shot was given as I wanted. They also had put in a line and I didn't see that part, it was already there when the cat was brought in. I also could take as much time as I wanted afterward.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can see where, as Silent Meowlook says - I did just find out today that the cost of the euthanasia solution has gone up from being a couple of dollars a bottle to being $66.00 for a bottle half the size. Then it would make sense for the price of euthanasia to go up $60. To go up more just means that vets feel the pharmacy companies are good role models. And that says a lot about what's going on in the US.

Last edited:

treeclimber

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I did just find out today that the cost of the euthanasia solution has gone up from being a couple of dollars a bottle to being $66.00 for a bottle half the size. Then it would make sense for the price of euthanasia to go up $60. To go up more just means that vets feel the pharmacy companies are good role models. And that says a lot about what's going on in the US.
The problem is that the cost of bread, eggs, milk, and the gasoline vets put in their cars to drive to work have also gone up. As have the costs for the clinic’s electricity and insurance.

It’s not greed. The people who work in vet clinics are facing the same increased costs as everyone else, and all they can do is increase their own prices to try to stay afloat.

Status
Not open for further replies.