Cosequin / Joint Suport Supplements

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I keep trying to get Krista on something. First GlycoFlex. Then Cosequin. Both seem to cause a bonus soup poop or soft serve. I have to burgle the first bomb from the box before she drops the bonus on the carpet. Now I'm understanding why there should be one litterbox per cat, PLUS one! I think this is just too much excitement (and excrement) for the both of us. I'd rather get more raw portions in her and maybe some bone broth. More gut care and less bonkers butt!

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
daftcat75 daftcat75 , haven't had that problem with SG, thankfully, since she has bad reactions to other pain meds. She's on the dasuquin, but I suspect it's a matter of the medicine to the cat, more than anything else. Always hoping the best for Krista.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is Dasequin more readily accepted? Emma has been fussy with the Cosequin mixed with dinner. I don't want to keep using FortiFlora to get her to eat her dinner. I was able to use some raw with pre-mix smeared over the NV raw to get Emma to eat last night. Not sure if Emma will catch on to that :crossfingers: I'm waiting for the vet to call back with suggestions on how to get Emma to take the Cosequin or a different product to use.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know if it's more readily accepted. My dog liked the cosequin fine, but I sprinkled it on the last lick of cat food left in the cat bowls. I gave it to her to help rebuild the cartlidge that the Remidyl (the anti-inflamatory) damaged. (I was told anti-imflamatories were hard on cartledge. We had no choice but to use it because my dog litterally could no longer stand without it. She was 4 years when her hips and knees went. I don't remember what flavor it was.

when Sweet Gum was diagnosed, I asked, insisted on an x-ray, three of her vertabra were involved, and had the bad reaction to the metcap, I remembered the cosequin. When I was looking it up on the net I found the dasuquin, which I don't think was available in the 90s. It was supposed to actually help repair the arthritis damage in animals and people. I got it and told my vet about it, thinking he must not know for some reason. He said, well, yes, it does that.

I have no idea why he didn't mention it to us, unless as a VCA clinic under the control of Mars Corporation they have to offer the expensive shit first. I think he has stopped that now. I took him a flyer for Pet Good Rx. where they help you find the best place to buy pet meds. I think Cosequin is on that.

I used Chewy for the Dasuquin. I used to get the Cosequin at Fosters & Smith which is not Petco.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is Dasuquin a prescription product? :think: I read an online article that states Dasuquin is only available from a vet while Cosequin can be bought anywhere. But lots of web sites including Amazon sell Dasuquin:headscratch: I don't see anything on the Dasuquin web site that indicates that it is only sold by vets.

Emma has been on Cosequin for about 2 weeks now. I haven't seen improvement yet. She occasionally stumbles while walking or getting out of the litter box.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I get the dasuquin from Chewy without a prescription. They have it for dogs too, so put in dasuquin cats in the search. You don't want to mess with measuring out part of a capsule, though I suppose the amount for Yorkies is the same as for cats.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I get the dasuquin from Chewy without a prescription. They have it for dogs too, so put in dasuquin cats in the search. You don't want to mess with measuring out part of a capsule, though I suppose the amount for Yorkies is the same as for cats.
I was looking at the pure powdered forms and if your cat is over 10 pounds I think you can use a 1/16 tsp and not fill it up quite all the way you should be ok. More challenging for cats less than 10 pounds though.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't looked at the pure powdered form. I should have. I get the 84 caps in a bottle. One a day for the under 10 group, 2 for the over. Sprinkle on treats. The powder would work well if you had the right sized spoon. (writing down 1/16 teas.)

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I spoke with the vets' secretary today about Dasuquin. The vet is actually pushing the hospital to switch to Dasuquin. It should be available soon. I'll probably buy it from Amazon or another place for less than what the hospital charges. The Cosequin cost $22.20 at the vet hospital :ohwell: