Cosequin Vs. Human Grade Glucosamine Hcl

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone, I was doing some research on eventually buying Cosequin for my older cats as they seem to suffer from joint pain. One of them was declawed before I adopted her, so I know she is at a higher risk for arthritis.

From searching on this site I found another Canadian complaining about the price of Cosequin vs. human grade glucosamine hcl supplements, and I am in the same boat. I can get nearly 3.5x the amount of human grade glucosamine hcl that I can get from importing Cosequin from the States or buying the local alternative cat supplement that has glucosamine hcl.

However, also during my research time and time again I keep running into articles about not giving any supplements to cats that have magnesium stearate in them due the side effects.

Then how come Cosequin (and Dasuquin) have magnesium stearate?

Besides finances, the only thing stopping me from ordering this human grade glucosamine hcl supplements is the above concern.

Thanks!

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are there any in veggie or gelatin caps? So that you can remove the caps and just sprinkle it into the food?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
Are there any in veggie or gelatin caps? So that you can remove the caps and just sprinkle it into the food?
The human one I want to get is actually in a veggie capsule, but as you mentioned I wanted to remove the powder and sprinkle.

However, the magnesium stearate, along with stearic acid is actually inside the capsule and not just what it's made of (that would be hypromellose).

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm what about something like this. Supposed to be pure.

BulkSupplements Glucosamine HCL Powder (500 grams)

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
Hmm what about something like this. Supposed to be pure.

BulkSupplements Glucosamine HCL Powder (500 grams)
This looks perfect. Unfortunately I could not find anything like this on Amazon.ca or when I called my local pet store.

The one you linked:

"This item does not ship to Canada. Please check other sellers who may ship internationally."

Sucks being so close... yet so far :(.

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oof sorry. You need to make some good friends who live in the states!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If a bulk bag of powder is bought, how much would a cat dose be? :headscratch: I'm thinking less than the smallest Human dose of 1/8 teaspoon. Cosequin lists a minimum of 125 g of glucosamine hydrochloride in a capsule. I know weighing out the powder is an option if a little tedious. Can too much glucosamine hydrochloride be harmful?

Then how come Cosequin (and Dasuquin) have magnesium stearate?
None of the Cosequin or Dasequin products have have magnesium sterate listed. Where are you seeing magnesium sterate?

LadyLondonderry

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
None of the Cosequin or Dasequin products have have magnesium sterate listed. Where are you seeing magnesium sterate?
The Cosequin for Cats capsules do contain magnesium stearate. It's listed on the label under "Other Ingredients."
IMG_2468.JPG.JPG

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
If a bulk bag of powder is bought, how much would a cat dose be? :headscratch: I'm thinking less than the smallest Human dose of 1/8 teaspoon. Cosequin lists a minimum of 125 g of glucosamine hydrochloride in a capsule. I know weighing out the powder is an option if a little tedious. Can too much glucosamine hydrochloride be harmful?

I forgot my notes I wrote at work so I can’t answer with confidence at the moment, lol.

However if I remember correctly from what I read both elsewhere and here on TCS, no more than needed is absorbed and the rest is urinated out, just like how vitamins are handled.

I will double check tomorrow :).

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ah, I see. The magnesium sterate is added to the capsule to keep the capsules from sticking to each other. If you're not giving the capsule to a cat, there's no worry about it.

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
Ah, I see. The magnesium sterate is added to the capsule to keep the capsules from sticking to each other. If you're not giving the capsule to a cat, there's no worry about it.
Is that why? I had read it was a filler.

125mg seems very low too, the local alternative to Cosequin here had 500mg per 5ml (and said 5ml per 10lb of weight). That’s over 3x the difference of recommmeded dose... somethings not right here.

I remember now, the human one I was going to buy was 1000mg per capsule and I was going to split it between my 2 cats.