Cortisone shot has ruined my cat

Status
Not open for further replies.

mowglithecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

@catconcern This doesn't sound like a side effect from cortisone.  This sounds like an airway obstruction.  Can they see down his throat at all?

@MowgliTheCat Convenia has been known to cause some serious problems in some cats.  Hopefully your kitty will be just fine, but you may want to do a search for signs/symptoms to look for in case if something starts to not look right with your kitty.
Thanks for your suggestion Peaches08. Mowgli had Convenia before which had almost immediately fixed his sneezing and coughing problem he had last year. Hadn't seen any side-effect then. But he did get the pancreatitis a few weeks after that so may be the Convenia might have had caused it? I'll look into it.

They gave Mowgli Convenia this time about 4 days after the steroid shot because the steroid shot seemed to have caused him to become lethargic and also he had a high fever of 106.

mowglithecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Not good news. But before I get to that I'll tell you about how he laid with me on my bed last night. I had come home and he was in front of the heater. It was like he was scared of me he left the room as soon as I got in the door. I had a shower then picked him up much to his discomfort but I thought I had better spend time together because he needed comfort and it wasnt looking good. He laid with me relaxed and it made me happy. I had to eat dinner and left my bed and after a while he came and ate some of the chicken I was eating. He went in his room for a few hours then when dad gave him biscuits as he always does he went in the laundry where he sleeps and jumped up on the ironing board. I thought that was a good sign the fact he can still jump and do his usual routine which I guess they'd always do if able to. I checked on him and patted him and he started purring. I checked on him a while later and he was still purring. I loved hearing him purr as I always do and was so happy that he was happy. In the morning when I got up I opened the laundry door and he was happy and wanting to go outside. He was wagging his tail and rubbed his face on mine. He didnt go outside as mum wasnt sure if i was going to go back to sleep and be able to help him if other cats were around. I did go to sleep and when i woke up and he was laying happily and relaxed in the window. Checked on him again still the same. Checked on him later he was resting on the floor and cleaning himself more good signs I thought but i noticed a little blood from an old wound and although minor didnt like that as i was thinking his immune system is obviously down.  Rang the vet they said theyd call back I checked on him in the mean time again and noticed blood/fluid coming from his lump after i saw more blood/fluid on the floor. This isn't uncommon. Checked on him again and I couldnt believe what I saw. It looked as though not the lump, but his actual side of his body had just opened up and it was a deep, severe gaping wound that was bleeding a fair bit. I took him straight to the vet and he has no option than to get surgery. I dont think he will make it. Even if he did pull through the surgery, he hasn't got long left. I couldnt nor would I put him down without trying everything possible and apart from all of this he still doesnt look like he is in life threatening pain although he definitely is in pain. Its hard to describe. No doubt he is suffering, but he doesnt look like he's on his death bed. I don't want him in pain I only want him to be alive if he wants to be alive I dont want him living if he is suffering all the time. I love him dearly. I cried like a baby. My cat is so loving, strong, caring, smart, beautiful cute boy he could possibly be. 

I'm doing everything I can for him and love him so much and want him to be ok but I can't have him suffer. I dont think he will pull through the op because he has multiple problems as well as being 15.5 years of age and even if he did I know he hasn't got much left and I hate saying this but euthanasia looks like it will come into it. I'd rather if he was going to die it's in his own home. If my beautiful baby does die at least he will not suffer though.

God bless my cat, my boy, soul mate, best friend, family and companion. Love you eternally my baby.
Dear @catconcern,

I am so shocked to hear all these updates! My internet had been acting up for the past 2 days and so I wasn't able to log in. I just did and I hear that your cat is gone. I read all the updates and I am SO SO SO SORRY for you loss.. I can stop crying myself for the pain that you are going through. It is so sad that you had to lose your cat but it is true that he is in Kitty Heaven now, resting in peace. He doesn't have to suffer any longer. I know it is easier said than done but I want you to know that we share your pain. Your cat had a blessed life that you gave him. Always remember that.

I hate that they misdiagnosed your cat earlier and the cortisone flared up his cancer. How did it not show up on the blood test when you had taken him in the next time after the shot?!!! I sometimes feel that our (my Mowgli) cats would have probably lived a longer and healthier life had we not always trusted the vets and let him give these shot - Cortizone and Convenia. I am starting to have second thought about all this! My cat Mowgli is still not acting normal. I just hope he gets better and then I will try to keep him away from the vets as much as possible! :(

My heart aches for you my dear. It is one of the worst pain that a person can go through. Especially people who love their cats like their babies, like you and me and several others here. I shall keep you in my prayers. May be you should adopt another cat in the near future, another one would be lucky to have a Meowmy like you. God bless you and let your baby kitty rest in peace. I am so sorry that you have to go through this. :'(

Hugs and love!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catconcern

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

catconcern - your cat KNOWS how much you loved him.   There is nothing more you needed to prove how much you cared about him.   It was obvious.

I had a feeling it was tumors the way you  explained it in the first post about the lumps growing wildly - it seemed obvious to me - but its not something you can say to someone and scare them in case you are wrong.

Honestly and truthfully -  I would not have been with your cat on the op table at the end either.  I would have been way to scared.    Maybe it is better that it is not your last memory together. 

I know what you are going through - it sucks - it really does.   When my cat died in the vets office from a heart attack I wasn`t in the room with her either.   I keep thinking maybe if I was there it would have comforted her.    For the last 3 weeks I keep replaying it my mind...... maybe I should have done this or that.... but it doesn`t change anything does it?   We can`t unscramble eggs.   What is done is done and we need to mourn for a time then move on.

My cat was about the same age 14.   She had a bad heart and other problems and I hated to see her suffer at the end.   Even a week before then she looked perfect and strong.   But at the end she couldn`t even walk she was so weak.   So I felt the loss badly - still do - but it was a relief that the suffering was over.
Thanks Zoneout. You are a really caring and kind individual. Yes you are smart and sensitive in thinking it was tumors but not saying anything. I didnt think they were a problem as the vet said they werent cancerous and he's had them for years. When his purr started to get distorted due to a small lump on his throat that months later just grew so fast in a matter of days my first thought was throat cancer. But I guess there is that denial factor there and also thoughts that it isnt that serious as he had lumps for years and they werent doing him harm and also wanting to belive he would be ok. The lump on his throat couldnt be operated on anway they said it was too delicate and before it got serious again there was the issue of putting him under the knife where he may not wake up due to his age.

I just wish I was there when he did die though. He was already asleep from the anesthetic but I still would have liked to be holding my boy when he corssed over. I know I repeat myself a lot it's just the way I feel and wanted to be there for him at the very end. 

I'm sorry that your cat died of a heart attack. Oh Im so sorry you werent in the room with her and you played the what if game also.  God bless your soul I want god to give you strength, happiness and peace and nothing but good times for the rest of your life not only in moving on from your cat but as I said all your life because you are clearly a kind, great, caring and compassionate person.

They can go downhill fast can't they. 14 years is a long time and seeing them suffer is unbearable. Hard to see them in great shape one week and then do a complete 180 the next.

thanks zoneout. May we all heal together and continue to be there for each other.

catconcern

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Again I will add, I'm mightily annoyed at the vet. When I took him there, the state that he was in they said they couldnt operate on him that day they wanted to leave him there OVERNIGHT unattended as theyre not a 24 hour vet and operate on him almost 24 hours later. Pathetic. It was only when I said I would take him to another vet close by that the vet went in the next room, would have told the head vet what I said then I got told by her that the head vet would actually do it and stay back, as he was due to leave. What a joke. They were prepared to leave my cat almost 24 hours with a deep gaping bleeding would but as soon as I say I will take him elsewhere whoooaa wait a minute I'll stay back and do overtime can do it today we can't afford to lose the 1000 bucks. Then when we got the phone call advising us it would be best to have him euthanized he didnt even want us to come and see him one last time and even when we did he was quick to get rid of us and didnt even ask if he wanted to be present when he had his final needle. Thats real poor imo. I'm now very angry.

catconcern

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Dear @catconcern,

I am so shocked to hear all these updates! My internet had been acting up for the past 2 days and so I wasn't able to log in. I just did and I hear that your cat is gone. I read all the updates and I am SO SO SO SORRY for you loss.. I can stop crying myself for the pain that you are going through. It is so sad that you had to lose your cat but it is true that he is in Kitty Heaven now, resting in peace. He doesn't have to suffer any longer. I know it is easier said than done but I want you to know that we share your pain. Your cat had a blessed life that you gave him. Always remember that.

I hate that they misdiagnosed your cat earlier and the cortisone flared up his cancer. How did it not show up on the blood test when you had taken him in the next time after the shot?!!! I sometimes feel that our (my Mowgli) cats would have probably lived a longer and healthier life had we not always trusted the vets and let him give these shot - Cortizone and Convenia. I am starting to have second thought about all this! My cat Mowgli is still not acting normal. I just hope he gets better and then I will try to keep him away from the vets as much as possible! :(

My heart aches for you my dear. It is one of the worst pain that a person can go through. Especially people who love their cats like their babies, like you and me and several others here. I shall keep you in my prayers. May be you should adopt another cat in the near future, another one would be lucky to have a Meowmy like you. God bless you and let your baby kitty rest in peace. I am so sorry that you have to go through this. :'(

Hugs and love!
Thanks for your sympthy Mowgli. Youve also been good to me and my boy throughout this.That's very kind and caring that you would cry for my cat. Thank you I appreciate your caring nature. Yes you all know How I feel, my baby did live a blessed life he was a great boy I love him dearly. Good point how did the cancer not show up on the blood test. Was it even cancer? Makes me wonder these guys dont even know themselves whats going on. he said '' I'm almost sure it's cancer '' I guess what ever it was it was bad for him to be the way he was. Then again was it the cortisone? I really dont know gee for the lump to get that big in his throat it mustnt have been good. I just asked my mum I think cancer doesnt come up in blood tests unless it's leukamia? I dont many so called experts either Mowgli ive had various experiences throughout my own life where in fact they have made me worse. Keep an eye on your cat. Just find the best vet possible mowgli be on your guard should they recommend anything you dont like and take some time to think you dont have to act on the spot unless you really, really have to but at the same time don't mistrust all. Listen to your heart, mind.

Thanks for all the kind words. I couldn't get another cat. It's just I don't want to the first being for me personally I couldnt do that to my boy he was my one and only I just couldnt. For many reasons. And the 2nd is I dont want to have to go through what I went through again. But no one can be in my heart more than my baby boy who just died and I wouldnt get another cat if thy couldnt but out of respect for my baby boy I just couldnt.

catconcern

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Talk soon all. Its night time where I'm at I'm going to unwind. It's only just been over 24 hours since he left me and my family. It feels like its been forever. Yesterday despite his big wound he looked relaxed, groomed himself and was able to jump on the window bench. I can't believe he would even still have so much life in him, but now he's gone. Im sad. Heart broken. Broken. 

Thank you all. God Bless.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The TCS team would like you to know that we are so very sorry for your loss. This thread will now be closed. Threads are locked after someone has suffered such a loss, as a sign of respect. We invite you to place a tribute at http://www.thecatsite.com/f/19/crossing-the-bridge as an enduring testimony to your friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.