Cortisone shot has ruined my cat

Status
Not open for further replies.

catconcern

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Saw some older posts on this here. My cat has the same symptoms many in that thread described. He had a big lump on histhroat, he had several around his body for years but they weren't cancerous and werent an issue at all for him. He was going to have an operation 4 years ago for one of them but he fought like hell and didnt want to go. Probably because he knew if he got put under he may not have made it out as he was 11 at the time, dangerous for an older cat to have surgery. Anyway 4 years later and he was fine so a good move. Up until now. Lump on his throat, affected his purring and got progressively worse. He coughed at night, nothing major but one night he must have coughed about 30 or 40 times in a short space of time like he was choking or had a fur ball stuck in his throat. Was fine the next day but he was very quiet in the days after so decided to get him checked out. The vet agreed the lump was big and nothing she had seen before. She recommended cortisone. I decided to hold off a couple of days where he seemed fine and sometimes sick again. I made another app for a vet so he could get the cortisone although was very reluctant. He seemed better by the time she arrived and I wanted to hold off further still. He was relaxing and seemed good and his usual self where he would run around and wanting to go oustide, just the demanding energized bunny that he is. Mum said he should get the cortisone injection anyway and she had a point, the lump on his throat grew huge in just a matter of days and we needed to slow it down. He got the injection,seemed fine for a while and got another injection a week later but last thursday night I noticed he was breathing deep and fast unlike his usual pattern. Took him to the vet the next day when the breathing started again and they managed to finally get a blood test { couldnt before without getting anaesthetic too agressive } came back fine but since friday he is just not himself. He doesnt move, its like his lost his voice he doesnt meow, he always would when he wants food and wants to go outside which is a lot as I said he's a demanding whiney boy { I love that about him } he just lies down doing nothing.

When I wake up in the morning by the time Im walking into the room where the bath room is he meets me near the door wanting his biscuits. When I get out of the bathroom he meets me there wanting biscuits. He hasnt been doing this. He's stopped jumping on the table or coming around me when I eat { he did come near me last night the odd time } he's just not himself. The lump in his throat has gone down obviously its affecting him though and causing him pain if he's not meowing or asking for food/go out. He slept on me yesterday as I dont want him being by himself anymore and as I woke up I said I love you boy and he let out a groan/meow grunt like saying i love u too in a scared sick way knowing his really sick. 

Sorry for this post being a ramble i just went back from when this all started. His 15 and a half, had lumps and the one on his throat eerged maybe 4-6 months ago and only affected his pur then all of a sudden it went bad fast. Grew fast too. He got sick, but for me a week after the 2nd cortisone injection thats made him even worse. Not talking, laying on the spot almost all day as in fatigued and very unresponsive. I wish I had helf off on the cortisone a second time. My cat went from an energy ball one week to sick the next day to completely sick a week after the cortisone losing his voice pretty much.

zoneout

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I wish I had an answer for you. I read everything and understood it fully.   I know how you feel.... just trying to make sense of what is happening... but not knowing exactly which way to turn.    It can lead to alot of anxiety because we feel so helpless.

I did have a cat with a large golfball size lump on the back of his neck.   It was pretty stabile for a long time and didnt bother him but at a point it did start going out of control.   My dad knew he was suffering too much at that point so made the decision to put him down.   It took Dad a while to get over it, he was very close with the cat as they would tag-along with each just walking down the street.

Well I wish you the best possible outcome and peace be with you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catconcern

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I wish I had an answer for you. I read everything and understood it fully.   I know how you feel.... just trying to make sense of what is happening... but not knowing exactly which way to turn.    It can lead to alot of anxiety because we feel so helpless.

I did have a cat with a large golfball size lump on the back of his neck.   It was pretty stabile for a long time and didnt bother him but at a point it did start going out of control.   My dad knew he was suffering too much at that point so made the decision to put him down.   It took Dad a while to get over it, he was very close with the cat as they would tag-along with each just walking down the street.

Well I wish you the best possible outcome and peace be with you.
Thanks for the reply. Yeah the anxiety is killing me because as you read to go from a boy with a lot of energy and character to the complete opposite is hard to see. The suffering of my cat is killing me. He doesnt seem like he's in pain but its more like he's quietly suffering if that makes sense. Im utterly annoyed at myself for ignoring the thoughts and feelings of not getting the cortisone,yet i did at the vets instructions though ultimately it is my fault for not being strong enough and decisive enough to say no hold off. 

Like your dad I too am extremely close to my cat. I feel by allowing him the cortisone I have made him sick myself. 

zoneout

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think cortisone wears off at some point - at least I know it does for people.   If he is not in pain that is great.   Maybe he is just woozy or dizzy until it hopefully wears off.

catconcern

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I think cortisone wears off at some point - at least I know it does for people.   If he is not in pain that is great.   Maybe he is just woozy or dizzy until it hopefully wears off.
yeah from some posts on here they said it wears off. I hope so. I just got some wool and played with him then. Its strange because he started purring and had good energy levels chasing the wool string with his claws and moving a bit etc. When i picked him up though he felt light and tense. Thanks for the replies. Means a great deal.

zoneout

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Probably thats cause it wears off slowly as the body breaks it down.   So there probably will be a shaky period in between.  Hang in there  

Last edited:

catconcern

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Update on my cat. I feared the worst overnight as he just laid on the floor but head not touching the ground. He was like that for hours. He goes to the toilet whenever he eats. On the ironing board where he rests/sleeps at night he was sitting on it right at the edge head down like he would almost fall over. This morning I woke up and he was sitting in his corner of the room but he looked ok. When I checked moments later he was laying in the window very tense and crouched over. I picked him up and cuddled him and he went out f my room but when he came back in the kitchen he looks fine now. Moving around, ate a few biscuits. Meowed a few times, coming in and out of the room  as he normally does and even rubbed himself against the bar which I havnt seen for a while. His demeanor just like that looks good. Hopefully it lasts. He was also wanting to go outside which lifted my spirits. He was definitely thriving off my energy and uplifted spirit too.

Amazing how they become part of us. They are like family, companions, soul mates, guardian angels, best fiends etc.

zoneout

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Update on my cat. I feared the worst overnight as he just laid on the floor but head not touching the ground. He was like that for hours. He goes to the toilet whenever he eats. On the ironing board where he rests/sleeps at night he was sitting on it right at the edge head down like he would almost fall over. This morning I woke up and he was sitting in his corner of the room but he looked ok. When I checked moments later he was laying in the window very tense and crouched over. I picked him up and cuddled him and he went out f my room but when he came back in the kitchen he looks fine now. Moving around, ate a few biscuits. Meowed a few times, coming in and out of the room  as he normally does and even rubbed himself against the bar which I havnt seen for a while. His demeanor just like that looks good. Hopefully it lasts. He was also wanting to go outside which lifted my spirits. He was definitely thriving off my energy and uplifted spirit too.

Amazing how they become part of us. They are like family, companions, soul mates, guardian angels, best fiends etc.
Thats great news.   Cats have 9 lives so maybe your guy has 8 left.   But yes, we get very close with them.    For some people it is hard to get over when we lose them.  I still think about my cat for hours a day even though its been 3 weeks already since she went over the bridge.    I had to get everything of hers out of the house because the reminders were making me too sad.

catconcern

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Thats great news.   Cats have 9 lives so maybe your guy has 8 left.   But yes, we get very close with them.    For some people it is hard to get over when we lose them.  I still think about my cat for hours a day even though its been 3 weeks already since she went over the bridge.    I had to get everything of hers out of the house because the reminders were making me too sad.
Im so sorry I didnt know you had recently lost your cat. My condolences. Very hard thing to do. I think I'd have to do the same and get rid of my boys things. Before he even got sick I'd think about if I were to lose him it would be painful for me to see his empty bed, his biscuit container, his room where he rests everyday, the way he waits for me on his bench for biscuits, meeting me halfway in the hallway for them and the way he sits waiting outside wanting to come in. I dont take these things for granted. I get sad as I even type this and yesterday/last night I was crying a lot. I hope you can get strength and peace and not forget your cat but move past the grief and sadness although it will take some time. I wont be getting anymore pets. I wouldnt feel comfortable getting another cat because this boy is my soul mate/guardian angel/best friend etc. I had a bird which I loved and had for 9 years that died 10 years ago and never got a new one since. I get very close.  Same for the boy. 

God bless you zoneout thanks for keeping in touch.

catconcern

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He's couching really tense again in the window. Tough to see. Looked fine before but back to being really tense and not looking comfortable. This is hell.

mowglithecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey! Good to hear that your cat is feeling better. Is your cat eating normally though? My cat, Mowgli, he is eating every now and then but very few bites! Not eating a normal amount at all!

catconcern

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hey! Good to hear that your cat is feeling better. Is your cat eating normally though? My cat, Mowgli, he is eating every now and then but very few bites! Not eating a normal amount at all!
Hi Mowgli, he eats normal yeah. Sorry to hear Mowgli isnt eating that much, thats sad! He looked to be doing fine but then he just goes back in the window looking tensed and crouched. I would love to see him go back to being a live wire that he was a couple of weeks ago. He went outside this morning as he usually does and ate breakfast and when i got up after I picked him up he came in and out of the room and showed good signs but then its back to what he's been doing the last 5 days consistently and that is nothing and looking tense.

I would love another couple of years with him at least. It hurts because as I said its like he lost his voice although he meowed a couple of times this morning, he does purr a little but nothing like before. He's quiet almost all day. He's silently suffering and I dont know how bad. Definitely not very well.

catconcern

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He's asleep now. Good to see him rest. I should add I didnt see him sleep for ages as I checked on him during the night and morning. He slept on me yesterday that was 18 o 19 hours ago though.  My cat has a sixth sense and has tied to help me in the past from big trouble, and also comforted me through hard times. I wont elaborate too much but it's freaky the way he knows danger is coming. That's actually a fact not something I've '' imagined ''

I thank God for giving me the greatest gift in the world he's still alive but 15 and a half years is remarkable. Good times.

mowglithecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Glad the he is resting well. I wonder if the cortizone just makes the cats super relaxed. That's how my cat is acting as well - lethargic. My major concern is his lack of appetite. I think he does get hungry as he goes to the food bowl but then I don't understand why he doesn't eat more than a few bites. Is his mouth hurting?

zoneout

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Im so sorry I didnt know you had recently lost your cat. My condolences. Very hard thing to do. I think I'd have to do the same and get rid of my boys things. Before he even got sick I'd think about if I were to lose him it would be painful for me to see his empty bed, his biscuit container, his room where he rests everyday, the way he waits for me on his bench for biscuits, meeting me halfway in the hallway for them and the way he sits waiting outside wanting to come in. I dont take these things for granted. I get sad as I even type this and yesterday/last night I was crying a lot. I hope you can get strength and peace and not forget your cat but move past the grief and sadness although it will take some time. I wont be getting anymore pets. I wouldnt feel comfortable getting another cat because this boy is my soul mate/guardian angel/best friend etc. I had a bird which I loved and had for 9 years that died 10 years ago and never got a new one since. I get very close.  Same for the boy. 

God bless you zoneout thanks for keeping in touch.
Thanks for the kind words.   I actually was thinking about adopting an older cat out of a shelter.   I was thinking that helping another animal in need would help me to move past my own grief and sadness.   But unfortunately right now I live in a rental that has a `no cats/dogs` policy.   I had to hide my last cat from the landlord whenever he came around.    I would have to move before I could go thru with an adoption.     I love birds too.  Especially European Goldfinches - although I have the Siberian subspecies.   Fortunately, the landlord doesn`t mind birds.

zoneout

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

He's asleep now. Good to see him rest. I should add I didnt see him sleep for ages as I checked on him during the night and morning. He slept on me yesterday that was 18 o 19 hours ago though.  My cat has a sixth sense and has tied to help me in the past from big trouble, and also comforted me through hard times. I wont elaborate too much but it's freaky the way he knows danger is coming. That's actually a fact not something I've '' imagined ''

I thank God for giving me the greatest gift in the world he's still alive but 15 and a half years is remarkable. Good times.
I know EXACTLY what you mean.  I went through a severe period of depression a few years ago and whenever I was in very desperate shape my cat would come and lay on my belly to comfort me.   Here in the states there was a story about a famous cat that was kept in a hospice ward.  At some point the hospice workers realized that the cat would know that a person was nearing the end because she would walk into their room to be with them.  The person would always pass shortly thereafter.   My father grew up on a farm and used to tell me that animals are much smarter than we humans give them credit for.

zoneout

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Glad the he is resting well. I wonder if the cortizone just makes the cats super relaxed. That's how my cat is acting as well - lethargic. My major concern is his lack of appetite. I think he does get hungry as he goes to the food bowl but then I don't understand why he doesn't eat more than a few bites. Is his mouth hurting?
Yes, there is a difference between lack of appetite - and  - having an appetite but being unable to eat.    

Why a cat is hungry but refuses to eat is the million dollar question.    That was some of my most frustrating moments when my cat got sick.   At those times, the one thing I could definitely always get her to eat were her treats.   She would get excited at the sound of opening the bag.    But unfortunately a cat cannot survive on treats.   At the  point when she finally even refused her treats it was very near the end for her.

What I learned might help you for some clues.   Yes, if they have mouth/teeth problems could definitely be a factor.   Does he growl in pain as he eats ?   That could be from a sharp tooth/mouth pain.  

The other thing that would stop a cat from eating is nausea.   And also excess stomach acid.   And also a respiratory problem - cats will only eat if they can smell their food.  

There are probably many more that I dont know about.

Does your cat vomit? 

Last edited:

catconcern

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think it can as initially it seemed to, but the loss of voice and very tense, hunched behavior has me thinking otherwise Mowgli. Lack of appetite I have to admit is a big concern, see how he does in the coming days. It could be because his throat/stomach or anything else is hurting afraid Im not in the position to give advice Mowgli. Maybe another vet visit is needed again?

mowglithecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for your response! I totally agree with what you are saying. My cat Mowgli had got very sick last November and it was an unrelated issue. He was diagnosed with pancreatitis and at that time it was totally different scenario. He had totally stopped eating, wouldn't even react to treats or come to his food bowl. He was throwing up then.

This time it is a different issue - right after he got the cortizone shot (for mouth ulcers which cleared by magically after the shot), he came back home and ate his last wet meal properly. This was exactly one week ago. Since then he has been going to the cat bowl every now and then but only taking a few bites. Even the wet food that he usually gobbles down, he is only licking. He eats the treats but again doesn't eat them all :(

catconcern

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I know EXACTLY what you mean.  I went through a severe period of depression a few years ago and whenever I was in very desperate shape my cat would come and lay on my belly to comfort me.   Here in the states there was a story about a famous cat that was kept in a hospice ward.  At some point the hospice workers realized that the cat would know that a person was nearing the end because she would walk into their room to be with them.  The person would always pass shortly thereafter.   My father grew up on a farm and used to tell me that animals are much smarter than we humans give them credit for.
They are so smart and comforting. They know all cats, very intelligent creatures. I heard about that story, my grandfathers cat did that too him too just before he died. My grandfather had cancer, and when it was known he was going to die my family wanted him to die at home. His bed was in the lounge room where the tv was. His cat not once came in that room the whole time he was sick at home, the only time he did was just before my grand father died. 

Status
Not open for further replies.