Corona Virus Now Spreading

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If anyone is annoyed with pinched and tugged ears caused by the elastic ear loops on surgical type masks, I found a solution :) There are things called "face mask ear savers". I've seen two types, one that is a little flat piece of fabric with two buttons on the ends. The fabric thing goes on the back of the head and the mask ear loops are extended past the ears and hook over the buttons. There are silicone type strap ones that have notches instead. The other type is a headband with buttons on either side and the ear loops hook onto that.

1589384305491.jpeg

1589384349280.jpeg

If you're crafty, you can easily make one with yarn or fabric or ribbon. There are lots of DIY instructions online.

For non-crafty people, lots of web sites sell ear savers. I just bought a boring black Velcro adjustable one from Etsy for $5. If mom had better eyesight, she could have made one for me in a prettier fabric.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah that defeats the entire purpose. I've seen the ones with a clear window for lipreaders, but I'm pretty sure she didn't have clear plastic in that hole. . .

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would just love to sit that woman down and ask her what she thinks the mask is for.

Of course, she probably doesn't think wearing masks is necessary at all and is just putting one on for appearances but doesn't really care if it is effective or not.

I stopped into a bakery this morning and there were only a few people inside but not one was wearing a mask. Mostly old men too. I have to admit I felt really silly and judged but had to keep telling myself I was doing the right thing.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am still wearing a mask even though my county doesn't require it. My brother is still positive (hoping for a retest tomorrow) and while I haven't had direct contact and tested negative; I am washing his dishes and doing his laundry since he can't come in the main house. There is a tiny chance I could catch it from him (or I was a false negative). So I wear a mask to protect others from the risk of me passing it.

I agree that something genetic is the reason some people are hit harder. With that logic, since my brother has been largely asymptomatic, I feel comfortable at this point that I would be a mild case if I got it. But that doesn't mean someone I come in contact with would be. I don't want it on my conscience that I might have accidentally passed it to someone who then died.

I am anxiously awaiting the antibody test being accurate and commercially available. I will gladly pay for an antibody test so I have the peace of mind if the government won't handle what they should. Once I hear we have herd immunity or it mutates to something less dangerous I will worry less.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not sure if that was posted already, but I found this article informative, it’s about assessing infection risk:

My husband has already been informed that he’ll be working from home till the end of the year at least. I’m thinking it may be a permanent solution for many office workers.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Twitter announced that once they reopen the offices all the staff who can work from home will have the option of staying home.

Twitter says staff can continue working from home permanently – TechCrunch

It makes sense. As long as productivity remains the same it reduces the employers overheads. Less water, toilet paper, supplies in the kitchen, coffee, etc, if people aren't coming in. They could probably downsize office size eventually once they get a handle on how many people work from home. Set up generic shared workspaces for those who come in so instead of assigned desks its whatever is open on the days you go on. Meeting spaces for those in person meetings

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wearing a mask is quickly becoming a political thing which is really silly. Those are often the same people who think it is all a hoax or it's just a bad cold. The thing is the elderly can end up seriously ill and may not make it with something that did start as just a bad cold.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Everything that kind of people believe is really silly. QAnon, Pizzagate, etc. They're acting like toddlers.

A school employee just told me they're talking about not opening up the schools in September. I haven't seen anything national about that yet but that's pretty serious.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Everything that kind of people believe is really silly. QAnon, Pizzagate, etc. They're acting like toddlers.

A school employee just told me they're talking about not opening up the schools in September. I haven't seen anything national about that yet but that's pretty serious.
That's what Fauci has been saying.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They are concerned about the vascular autoimmune syndrome that is showing up in kids that is linked to COVID-19. The previous concern about kids in school was the spread of the disease rather then kids getting seriously ill from it. They are rethinking the effect of this on children.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm watching the Survivor finale and they have this set up in Jeff Probst's garage and the contestants zooming in. Very different from normal, but it's cool to see what they're doing to keep everyone safe.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's kind of nice for society to open a little bit. I know not everyone feels the same way but you can just stay home! Our cases have definitely increased within the last couple of weeks but it is staying steady now so that's good. Got an appointment for my eyebrows this Saturday. In my area about 90% of people wear masks so that's great. Still doing take out nearly everyday. For my bf and I, we don't hang with older people because our parents live a few states away. I imagine it would be a different story if my parents were closer.