Corona Virus Now Spreading

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I wear a mask everywhere except inside my own house. Naturally, the way things work against me, I happened to have developed seasonal allergies just shortly before all of this started and don't want to scare people. I still am not confident going anywhere other than to the grocery store. Not even for a haircut which I really need.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah I hit Fleet Farm back when it all just started heating up, and they weren't doing anything different. No masks or cart disinfectant or line management. I don't get there very often but they probably haven't changed anything.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The suit is based on being denied their right to free assembly, the right to protest, the right to participate in commerce and the right to freely practice their religion.
I don't get that one at all. Nobody is stopping them from practicing their religion. My mom's church is doing Zoom meetings and everything is dandy. There's no reason they have to get together and swap germs in order to practice their religion.

And, well, this virus mostly kills older people, and religious people are mostly older, so churches that choose to meet in person are pretty much arranging their own extinction. If that's what they want to do. . .

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Maryland has a large Catholic population. They actually began as a colony for Catholics who were being persecuted in England. With Catholicism you get into taking the sacraments which require a Priest. For example you can watch a virtual service but can't take Communion. Taking Communion often goes hand in hand with confession, that is why confessional hours are usually right before Mass.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't heard of Catholics protesting. They seem to have worked out some kind of drive-up communion/confession. It's usually some variety of Baptist-ish non-denominational evangelicals. Also the news articles say "pastors" not "priests" so I assume the ones involved in the lawsuit are Protestant of some sort.

One article says they're complaining that they "don't have the equipment" for online services. All you need is a smartphone for Zoom. And if the old ladies in the congregation need a cheap tablet and instructions on how to set it up, well, they are pastors, it's kind of their job to help them out and not try to kill them with a virus.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm Catholic - my church has set up a youtube page and uploads Mass every week. It does suck not getting to be in the building, and get communion and give Sparkle the sign of peace, but it is nice to enjoy coffee during Mass, so I guess it works.

I'm ordering a couple of cat fabric face masks from a friend's small business. Figure it's good to have a couple extra!

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Speaking to religion, I know there are catholic churches that have started opening but require social distancing, face masks, and many have set up a plastic shield to protect the priest.

Really any protestant religion can easily do church via Zoom. It's not ideal, but it's possible. My aunt shares her church's services every Sunday on Facebook. And if a town of around 500 in rural Kansas can figure it out I'm sure most can...

EDIT: W Willowy - have you seen Charlie the Unicorn? My friends and I saw that meme and couldn't help singing, "put a banana in your ear..."

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
A group of businesses, churches and private individuals have filed a federal lawsuit against the Governor of Maryland. The suit is based on being denied their right to free assembly, the right to protest, the right to participate in commerce and the right to freely practice their religion.
I guess I think that people stay inside, home, no church or protesting for tornadoes, hurricanes, flooding, extreme heat, extreme cold, hailstorms, when they are sick...I know those are over quicker than a month or so, but those are natural phenomena too. I know that staying home is not sustainable for months on end, but I don't agree with the lawsuits. A lawsuit against keeping people safe and alive?
This has made for financial ruin for people- and others are dead.
Do people remember smoking? Not having to absolute right to inflict second hand smoke on people?
People will get back to church, protesting, assembly, commerce.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't get that one at all. Nobody is stopping them from practicing their religion. My mom's church is doing Zoom meetings and everything is dandy. There's no reason they have to get together and swap germs in order to practice their religion.

And, well, this virus mostly kills older people, and religious people are mostly older, so churches that choose to meet in person are pretty much arranging their own extinction. If that's what they want to do. . .
Religious people are mostly older??
And this virus is also killing young people so don't think you're safe if you're not old. Even if it doesn't kill you, it could leave permanent damage to your lungs, kidneys, etc. Young people are in ICU on ventilators. Young people are having strokes.
Meeting in person is not only arranging their own extinction, but possibly yours as well if you come into contact with one of them. And anyone you come in contact with, since you're contagious before you actually become sick.

If people would just get off their high horse and wear masks when they're out, some of this could be prevented. I don't wear a mask to protect me, I wear it to protect you.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
And this virus is also killing young people so don't think you're safe if you're not old. Even if it doesn't kill you, it could leave permanent damage to your lungs, kidneys, etc. Young people are in ICU on ventilators. Young people are having strokes.
I feel like my neighbors' son had it and died early this year. This was before things were well known, it was just getting attention, and nothing was found on autopsy, but there were no tests then and not as much knowledge then.
He had a "flu like illness." No other medical conditions. He was in his 30's.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Religious people are mostly older??
Yes. In the US anyway, people who attend church tend to be older. There are Pew studies and stuff if you want to look at them. Older people also usually have more discretionary spending money so are more likely to donate a lot to their church. Churches should definitely be trying to protect their older members if they want to continue existing (besides, y'know, basic human decency).
And this virus is also killing young people so don't think you're safe if you're not old.
Oh, sure, but not in the same numbers. It's definitely risky for everyone, but even riskier for those over 60. But of course you're right; NOBODY should be attending gatherings right now.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They now know what to look for on an autopsy. It may not be a definitive test but it leaves a paint like coating on the lungs.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just read this article.

Scientists say a now-dominant strain of the coronavirus could be more contagious than original

"If the pandemic fails to wane seasonally as the weather warms, the study warns, the virus could undergo further mutations even as research organizations prepare the first medical treatments and vaccines. Without getting on top of the risk now, the effectiveness of vaccines could be limited."
So if I understand this part correctly. If we can't get the spread of this first wave down to a minimum, the chances of more mutations increases.
They are hoping that this new strain that has taken over, because it is so effective, that it will continue to mutate very slowly. But again, the more that people get infected and the more it spreads and changes "hosts", the greater chance more mutations will arise.

The one good thing (sort of) about this new strain that has taken over, is that it is not more dangerous symptom wise, just that it is more contagious. So regardless of which strain you get, if you get it, doesn't really matter - to your personal health - but of course, it does make it more dangerous in the sense that it spreads so well.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A virus mutates to be more effective so being more contagious makes sense. A 'successful' virus does not kill it's host so often a virus that is in a wide number of humans will often mutate to a form that is less likely to kill. That is what happened with the Spanish Flu which was almost straight Avian flu, it is now one of the strains of seasonal flu. That is what happened with the Hong Kong flu which was a particularly dangerous flu in the late 60's. They actually have traced one of the strains of seasonal flu back to that one. It mutated in a form that isn't as lethal to humans.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In my county, cases are the highest among those aged 40 to 69. Those in their 70s have the fewest except for children. Someone commented that's because people in their 70s take isolating seriously.

Best Buy's Geek Squad has opened up. Yea! Now I can get my computer fixed.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, in this state, the 70-80 age range have the lowest number of cases. Those 80+ have more cases, because of nursing homes, but generally those in their 70s are in a prime position to isolate---not working, no kids at home, not in a nursing home yet, etc. BUT, among those in their 70s, over 1/3 had to be hospitalized, so obviously it's hitting them harder.

The highest number of diagnosed cases is in the 30-40 range, I suppose that's because of the pork plant employees. Kids' cases are pretty high, but again, I think that's because they tested the pork plant employees' families too.