Corona Virus Now Spreading

sweet jane flash

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
A lot of the stores here have started requiring masks, despite everything "opening". Menard's is requiring them now, which is kind of surprising considering their usual clientele.
Willowy I have never heard of Menard's. What type of clientele do they have? Just curious. :bigeyes:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Willowy I have never heard of Menard's. What type of clientele do they have? Just curious. :bigeyes:
Menard's is a midwestern hardware store/lumberyard, but they sell almost everything. So I shouldn't say they have one particular type of clientele, because nearly everybody shops there. But probably their most loyal customers are the stubborn, older, blue-collar, "manly" type men who generally refuse to wear masks. The types of guys who would pull something like this: Stillwater officials take down public face mask requirement after reported threats of violence against workers

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Officially, 3% have been diagnosed. Even if 7-8% have it, that's still not the majority of people. There are also indications that the saturation of exposure increases the likelihood of contracting the virus. Remember all those Spring Break people on the beaches? It didn't turn out to be the mass infection that was expected.

I have been looking at statistics here in the U.S. Ohio has a population of around 11 million with 19,000 confirmed cases and right at a thousand deaths from this. The latest flu season statistics is 2018 and there were 2,395 deaths. We have been hearing about the New York City statistics for weeks, all of the horror stories out of New York with the overwhelmed funeral homes and mortuaries. It is bad and it is real to say otherwise is to there with no moon landing conspiracy theory stuff. We have been hearing it is coming it is coming. Then it was you're not testing enough. Everyone who is an inmate or on staff in the state prison system in Ohio was tested. Lots of positives, one prison had a 73% positive rate. Still no overwhelmed health system, no refrigerated trailers for the bodies no mass temporary burials.

I am beginning to think that the number of very serious cases is dependent on environmental factors. Certainly congested urban environment is a risk factor and I think there are others as well. Whatever those environmental factors are seem to be fully present in the congested urban areas of the Northeast primarily in New York City.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
I really think, as far as treatments go, they need to get a better handle on how this virus operates. If they can disrupt it's operation, that would seem to be a step in the right direction.

Problem is, this thing has taken many different paths in it's destruction.

It was first thought that it targeted the lungs like a pneumonia which caused immune cyclone for some people; this was problematic with people who had underlying issues that were already taxing the immune system. So they focused on the elderly and immunocompromised.

Then they made a correlation with certain blood types. Some folks who had certain blood types seemed to be more affected than others. And lately, there has been a correlation with blood clotting and strokes.

I'm wondering, as a simple layperson, if this thing has been targeting the blood all along. I'm wondering if the pneumonia and inflammation in all those respiratory cases were actually caused by small blood clots in the lungs, or blood thickening to the point that it doesn't carry enough oxygen.

Just a theory.

Regardless, I hope the folks working on solutions find them soon. A solid (combative) treatment would go a long way to easing fears.

In the meantime, wear the masks.
It's the new fashion.
And businesses who want to require them are completely within their rights; no different than high class restaurants that require a coat and tie, or bars that have the sign "no shirt, no shoes, no service". It's the same premise. Be mindful and respect your fellow human beings while in the petri dishes. :hearthrob:

sweet jane flash

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Menard's is a midwestern hardware store/lumberyard, but they sell almost everything. So I shouldn't say they have one particular type of clientele, because nearly everybody shops there. But probably their most loyal customers are the stubborn, older, blue-collar, "manly" type men who generally refuse to wear masks. The types of guys who would pull something like this: Stillwater officials take down public face mask requirement after reported threats of violence against workers
Willowy thanks for that. It is an interesting article. Perhaps the new normal should be " No Masks, No Shirts, No Service". Just like in 1918 flu pandemic: File:165-WW-269B-11-trolley-l.jpg - Wikimedia Commons

Rhall

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It was first thought that it targeted the lungs like a pneumonia which caused immune cyclone for some people; this was problematic with people who had underlying issues that were already taxing the immune system. So they focused on the elderly and immunocompromised.

Then they made a correlation with certain blood types. Some folks who had certain blood types seemed to be more affected than others. And lately, there has been a correlation with blood clotting and strokes.

I'm wondering, as a simple layperson, if this thing has been targeting the blood all along. I'm wondering if the pneumonia and inflammation in all those respiratory cases were actually caused by small blood clots in the lungs, or blood thickening to the point that it doesn't carry enough oxygen.

It is all of that. It does target the lungs looks more like acute respiratory distress syndrome picture and many have a pneumonia as well, it does target the blood (changes the oxygen carrying capacity of the blood by altering the iron molecule), it does cause a coagulopathy which there is some research suggesting some blood types are more prone. We are simply shotgunning because we have no idea what is truly working. Most of what we are doing is supportive care. It is hard to say really what is actually treating the virus. We have the greatest minds in the world working on this problem and I don't care who comes up with it - just that they figure it out soon!

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Willowy thanks for that. It is an interesting article. Perhaps the new normal should be " No Masks, No Shirts, No Service". Just like in 1918 flu pandemic: File:165-WW-269B-11-trolley-l.jpg - Wikimedia Commons
My father was born in 1913. He had very little in the way of his own memories of the 1918 flu pandemic but he grew up with the stories from people who did survive it. That pandemic was much more cut and dry. It swept throughout the country in the same way. Everyone who got sick with it got very sick and many did not survive. There were no 'well I had the sniffles last week maybe I already had it'. People who had it got very sick very fast. The killer with that flu was the pneumonia caused by the immune cyclone, it was uniformly the same for everyone. That was actually why the highest mortality was among young healthy adults because they had the strongest immune reaction and the immune reaction was the killer. I remember my father often said that the flu in 1918 had to be different from what we called the flu. In a way he was right. They found viral samples in people who died and were buried in permafrost and it was almost straight avian flu. There was one very small difference and that difference was what made it transmissible among people.

Last edited by a moderator:

sweet jane flash

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
denice I sure pray we can get a vaccine, and that everyone does not move too quickly to reopen things. I think we can be smart about it and care about one another enough to stick with the new normal. I know we can do it, challenging though it may be. ♥

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That is basically what Governor DeWine is trying to do in Ohio and so far there have only been a few malcontents who are protesting. He is trying to find that balance. We cannot stay in complete lockdown, it isn't sustainable. The article is right when it talks about poverty being one of the biggest public health threats. He is trying to find that balance, just how much can things be opened up along with increased testing, regular disinfection of workplaces, wearing masks in stores, monitoring employees health without causing a spike in cases that will overwhelm the health care system. There will still be additional waves and returns to lockdowns but he is trying to find something that is sustainable that won't throw huge numbers of people into poverty.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Governor DeWine changed the mandatory face covering to a strong recommendation. He said he didn't realize how many Ohioans would find it offensive, of course stores can still require it. The only thing I can think of is relating it to Islamic countries requiring that women have their face covered. It wasn't in any religious or cultural context and it didn't apply to just women so I don't get it.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I saw plenty of joggers, walkers, etc today who weren't wearing face coverings :nono: This was in a city that requires face covering in public. I watched several joggers go by a police cruiser and the police officer ignored them. What's the point of a mandatory requirement if it's not going to be enforced? :rolleyes3:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
DeWine never suggested it as mandatory outside only inside public places, stores and workplaces.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He said he didn't realize how many Ohioans would find it offensive
It's not "offensive"; they're just spoiled brats and he doesn't want to listen to the whining, or have guns pulled on innocent store employees (honestly I think anyone who does that should lose their gun rights for life).
I saw plenty of joggers, walkers, etc today who weren't wearing face coverings
No reason to wear a mask outdoors if you're not close to any other people. While of course there's a lot we don't know, outdoor transmission seems to be rare. Indoor gatherings such as churches, crowded stores/restaurants, mass transit, etc., and of course being at home with your germy family ;) seem to account for most cases.
The case for reopening America’s parks
(There are links to studies in the article)

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, I know I shouldn’t be paying attention to how my neighbors are handling the stay at home and social distancing but it is just bothering me. They have had big gatherings, like six or seven cars of people, and different kids over to play with theirs a few times a week. The thing is he is a prison guard and she is a nurse. It just seems so irresponsible.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m having daily walks without wearing mask and I don’t understand the reasoning for wearing one while in the fresh air and maintaining the safe distance from other people. Here masks are only recommended if you can’t keep a safe distance from other people. Personally I hate masks as I’m yet to find a way not to make them fog my glasses.. I think the ones I have are simply fitted too well. Does anyone else have such problems with masks and glasses?

The governor of the Washington state has extended the stay at home till the end of May, but some things will be reopening sooner, according to his 4 phases plan. As for now, we can go hiking in the state parks (National parks are yet to open), fishing, hunting, golfing.. Existing construction has reopened. They allow some elective procedures to make sure hospitals have much needed source of income.
He says it will take at least 3 weeks before we can go the each next phase, but it will depend on the factors they came up with. It seems most depends on the testing capabilities and Contact&Trace possibilities. They are to employ 15000 people to ensure the latter.
FE7D5D31-38A7-4A60-902D-6B55DDE977F9.jpeg

88AFE3A9-9C9C-450C-8626-52AEE7DC4B16.png

I was supposed to be on a road trip in both Dakotas this week and I’m extremely disappointed that we had to cancel it :( it’s really sad as traveling is the reason why we’re here in the US, far away from family in this difficult time. I really hope it will be possible to resume our lifestyle at some point. I’d have to redefine my life completely if not :( ETA: still, first world problems. I’m grateful we’re ok health wise and work/money wise.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m having daily walks without wearing mask and I don’t understand the reasoning for wearing one while in the fresh air and maintaining the safe distance from other people. Here masks are only recommended if you can’t keep a safe distance from other people. Personally I hate masks as I’m yet to find a way not to make them fog my glasses.. I think the ones I have are simply fitted too well. Does anyone else have such problems with masks and glasses?

The governor of the Washington state has extended the stay at home till the end of May, but some things will be reopening sooner, according to his 4 phases plan. As for now, we can go hiking in the state parks (National parks are yet to open), fishing, hunting, golfing.. Existing construction has reopened. They allow some elective procedures to make sure hospitals have much needed source of income.
He says it will take at least 3 weeks before we can go the each next phase, but it will depend on the factors they came up with. It seems most depends on the testing capabilities and Contact&Trace possibilities. They are to employ 15000 people to ensure the latter.
View attachment 332708
View attachment 332707

I was supposed to be on a road trip in both Dakotas this week and I’m extremely disappointed that we had to cancel it :( it’s really sad as traveling is the reason why we’re here in the US, far away from family in this difficult time. I really hope it will be possible to resume our lifestyle at some point. I’d have to redefine my life completely if not :( ETA: still, first world problems. I’m grateful we’re ok health wise and work/money wise.
Can relate to you 100%. I only wear masks if I'm going to be around people indoors. Any other time no I don't wear it. And yes my reason for living besides my cats is travel so I am very concerned about the future of travel. If other countries require Americans to quarantine for 2 weeks then it just would not be doable.