Corona Virus Now Spreading

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Most of the interviews that they are doing on cable news are now done with people in their homes. I saw one today when the guys Great Dane wondered around investigating everything during the interview. There was no barking but a Great Dane kind of becomes the center of attention.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Heh, yeah, Stephen Colbert's dog Benny is always jumping on him during the show.

I've heard a lot of Zoom meetings need to have a password now because of crashers. Yelling something terrible or running around nude or whatever.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Heh, yeah, Stephen Colbert's dog Benny is always jumping on him during the show.

I've heard a lot of Zoom meetings need to have a password now because of crashers. Yelling something terrible or running around nude or whatever.
Yes, I require a password anyway, and have found that Zoom is defaulting to 'waiting room' and I have to let each person in.

Funny zoom/yoga story.
Initially I was set up so that when someone spoke, they would come on full screen, with everyone else as little screens. It's handy in meetings, but not so good for a yoga class, except if you're wanting to catch up with other students before class. It's very sensitive, so even if someone coughed or breathed very deeply, it would default to them.
We were in the asana (posture) part of the session, doing a 'nose to knee' pawanmuktasana, and someone 'let off' quite loudly... and of course the screen immediately defaulted to them.
No getting away with saying 'it wasn't me'... :flail:

Now when I say 'mute yourselves' at the beginning of class, they all make very, very sure they do. :thumbsup:

And now, before I have to flag myself for going off-topic, I should just say that things aren't too bad here in Australia in terms of the spread. We're coming up to Winter, which it seems is more corona-virus friendly (not in a good way), so people are being very cautious.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, I require a password anyway, and have found that Zoom is defaulting to 'waiting room' and I have to let each person in.

Same here. When I set up a Zoom meeting, I require a password and use the waiting room option so that I control who is allowed in.

Most of the interviews that they are doing on cable news are now done with people in their homes. I saw one today when the guys Great Dane wondered around investigating everything during the interview. There was no barking but a Great Dane kind of becomes the center of attention.
Even with work Zoom meetings, you see kids and pets in the background and hear background noises. I personally don't find it a problem but my work meetings are really informal.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Coronavirus: FDA approves new testing materials, Ohio’s test capacity to increase

FDA approval of a test is supposed to at least double and maybe triple Ohio's testing capacity. After what happened with the prisons especially the one in Marion the testing capacity in this state is going to have to increase substantially before reopening can begin. A judge has ordered that prisoners be released or moved. One prison found 73% of inmates are positive. They can't be released and where does the judge propose they be moved to?

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A judge has ordered that prisoners be released or moved. One prison found 73% of inmates are positive. They can't be released and where does the judge propose they be moved to?
That's impossible to answer since you don't provide any information on exactly which order you are referring to. The ones I have heard about have had reasonable restrictions on who is released, over 65 and/or with chronic illness making them high risk, and how they are released including requiring a 14 day quarantine.

Exactly which judge's order are you referring to?

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm going into my office in Downtown Los Angeles every day. Partly to keep the firm going (I'm the only person here most of the time; everyone else is telecommunting) and partly to keep my sanity.

This lack of traffic is creepy, but I'm getting used to it. So, unfortunately, are the maniacs.

The picture on top I glommed from a news site; it's a picture of the 110 freeway with the DTLA skyline dead ahead facing south.

The second shows a wreck on a nearly empty freeway, also from the news.

The third is out my office window, taken April 1, 2020. No fooling. That's the Bonaventure Hotel with the giant glass tin-can structures. Another building is reflected on top of it.
empty 110 to DTLA.jpg
free freeway.jpg
north on fig 04-01-20.jpg

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The judge's order involved a federal prison and is part of a class action suit. A judge in Louisiana ruled the other way, that one will probably end up in the Supreme Court.

DeWine is bargaining with the ACLU about the state prisons. DeWine has offered to release 300 and the ACLU wants considerably more released. The state prison at Marion is where 73% of inmates have tested positive and pushed Marion to the top of the list for Ohio counties, leapfrogging past Franklin and Cuyahoga counties which have been the top two since this started. 73% Of Inmates At An Ohio Prison Test Positive For Coronavirus All 11 sttate prisons are now under quarantine and they are in the process of testing every inmate and staff member which is what was done at Marion.

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm a little worried. I've had a lot of phlegm in my throat for the past two days, and it feels a bit sore. I have a slight fever, I've felt unusually tired (even more so than I normally do), and one of my lymph nodes is swollen. I've got *something*. The last time I went anywhere was six days ago, when I went grocery shopping.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
My local older market basket had toilet paper tues night-pasta still wiped out and the usual items in nonfood. plenty of produce, meat and frozen foods. I only needed soda, ice cream, sour cream, salsa and some other small items..
A small manufacturing work place is laying off Turbocam I just heard. They make airplane parts...here's where our supply chain is going to be disrupted..

I wasn't able to get tungsten from the company we purchase from as their state shut down all manufacturing :frustrated: So luckily one of the welding supply shops still had some in the back-we are limited to brands and can't use inferior brands due to nuclear code welding.

Jon still staying home other than a wally walk in the morning once a week for his meds. He goes first thing in the morning other than that we watch tv or play outside on our various lands-my yard for me and his land for his stuff-his tractor broke so he's been messing around with trying to locate parts- (it's like 1960s old) so that's been his headache = I would have purchased a new used one but that's me..he enjoys tinkering..me I get too irritated and it will sail across the room and crash into the wall. :flail:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My local older market basket had toilet paper tues night-pasta still wiped out and the usual items in nonfood. plenty of produce, meat and frozen foods. I only needed soda, ice cream, sour cream, salsa and some other small items..
A small manufacturing work place is laying off Turbocam I just heard. They make airplane parts...here's where our supply chain is going to be disrupted..

I wasn't able to get tungsten from the company we purchase from as their state shut down all manufacturing :frustrated: So luckily one of the welding supply shops still had some in the back-we are limited to brands and can't use inferior brands due to nuclear code welding.

Jon still staying home other than a wally walk in the morning once a week for his meds. He goes first thing in the morning other than that we watch tv or play outside on our various lands-my yard for me and his land for his stuff-his tractor broke so he's been messing around with trying to locate parts- (it's like 1960s old) so that's been his headache = I would have purchased a new used one but that's me..he enjoys tinkering..me I get too irritated and it will sail across the room and crash into the wall. :flail:
I'm sure I'm not alone in hoping and praying those parts won't go for beer and soda cans :disturbed:

Sounds like your hunting and gathering wasn't too bad.:clap2:

BTW, did you see this video I posted a couple of days back? Where the planes are parked | News Break

Last edited:

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm a little worried. I've had a lot of phlegm in my throat for the past two days, and it feels a bit sore. I have a slight fever, I've felt unusually tired (even more so than I normally do), and one of my lymph nodes is swollen. I've got *something*. The last time I went anywhere was six days ago, when I went grocery shopping.
I'm going to be tested tomorrow. Now I have slight chest pain that worsens when I breathe deeply or swallow.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Michele has been to the local WallyWorld twice in the last week, and each time the meat section was empty, although the local BJ's had no shortage, but there are empty shelves in the paper goods area. My older brother, who just turned 80, has been stuck at home, per orders from his kids, so he is passing the time restoring his latest toy- a 1955 John Deere model 60 tractor. They won't let him use his 1953 8N Ford, because it's too pretty after he restored it.