Corona Virus Now Spreading

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
furmonster mom furmonster mom I notice you are in the Mojave! What part, if I may ask? The three best years of my life were spent in Pinon Hills. I miss it SO much.
artiemom artiemom Agree 100% on everything you posted. It seems that, as in other things, there are those who don't believe/admit the seriousness of this, and those that are across-the-board paranoid, with the common-sense people like you and I and others in between. Scientists don't even know what this thing will do or how to fight it at this point in time, so those who are being cavalier about it are not only risking their own lives, they're risking everyone's around them, and so on. I was furious when my next-door neighbors had a PARTY the other night, starting at about 10:30 pm (who DOES THAT?) with a stinking barbeque and everyone outside. I called on it, thinking I'd have success because apart from the inconsiderate noise late at night, there is a LOCKDOWN! IDK when/if they responded, but I hope they read the riot act to these morons. I knew they'd be trouble from the start.
I'm feeling the same range of things you are. My beloved cats, my roomies, and my work keep me focused on the positive, but from time to time, like with the party, it changes and I get very down. I'm so grateful for TCS and for the internet and social media in general -- things would be far, far worse without them! *Snorgles to handsome Geoffrey from us! Keep looking UP.*

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My building has been in quarantine for 5 weeks! Yup, I have not left my apartment for 5 weeks. I was doing ok, up until this week. It kind of 'hit' me: semi-depressed, angry, bored, no energy, etc....

They are allowing people to 'walk' in the corridor for an hour--staggered times, and to go to the local balcony, with social distancing. There is one on every other floor. Some are very tiny. We are supposed to be wearing masks.

Of, course, with 250 people living in here; you get the abusers!! The ones who feel they are 'entitled"~~ rules do not apply to them. These morons are visiting friends, sunbathing, staying out longer than the allotted time. Admin says there is no Marshall Law, and they do not have the staff to monitor them.

I vehemently oppose this. We had 2 more cases last week, one being a good friend of mine. How she got it is unknown. She is the cleanest person I know. Her apartment is immaculate. Could the virus be incubating in her body for 4+ weeks? So much is unknown about it. I do remember her saying that she was going stir crazy in the apartment, but did not leave.. she was also not feeling well, a couple of weeks ago, then came down with nausea, vomiting, and suddenly had a feeling of someone standing on her chest. Thankfully, she is out of the hospital.. only in for 5 days, will be recuperating home, with a nurse and CNA checking on her.

I am staying in here.

We had an audio Zoom meeting where we were told the quarantine is indefinite. By gut feeling, they expect it to be on for at least another 2-3 weeks..

I do not know how I am going to do it..Getting a bit down. My car has not been started, since March 18. I will definitely need a new battery. Got a new set of tires, in November. Hope the car is safe. It is on street parking...

In Massachusetts, we are in the middle of the surge. Everyone has to wear a mask.. There are many not adhering to this policy.

I finally caved in. I have an order on InstaCart, for this week. It is expensive, but I can get a delivery slot sooner than I can on PeaPod. I miss fresh produce, and want to stock up on other things. It is a huge order. Being on a limited diet does not help...

The staff in the building are great. They are doing all they can for us. They keep dropping off 'goodie' bags, newsletters, etc for us.
Sorry the quarantine is hitting you now. Last week, it just became real that my time in North Carolina was done and my time at the college I was going to, and felt so much loss I couldn't spend my last couple months before graduating in NC. With school being over in a couple weeks, I need to find other things to do to keep busy because I've also been feeling bored, sad, and irritable. Take care and keep us updated on how you're doing. <3

Glad the building staff has been so helpful.

Cases continue to rise in my city and county, so I don't see the shutdown ending any time soon. My church sends out emails when someone dies, but does not say what the cause of death is. No funerals of course.
Illinois has extended shutdown to at least end of May now. A friend who is a paramedic or similar in the Chicago suburbs said that cases seem to be calming down here a bit, but he doens't know how Chicago is doing. Although, three of the suburb hospitals (I think out of 5?) had their ICU beds filled the last couple of weeks. But I'm sure if the stay at home was lifted, we'd see increased cases again within a couple of weeks, so glad the stay at home is continuing.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The numbers now show that Ohio is going up in cases from being one that had plateaued and begun to drop. That is because of what has been found in the prisons and all inmates and staff are being tested. The prisons are now under quarantine in that there are absolutely no physical visitors allowed. They are set up for videoconferences for visitors including lawyers. Don't know about staff though. They have also separated positive prisoners from negative prisoners. I would be very interested in antibody testing especially in the prison where 73% of prisoners were positive. I would not be surprised if the negatives were either false negatives or they have already had it.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I won't get my test result for a few days. My self-quarantine has begun.

I'm having the same symptoms I did yesterday. Selene gave me chest pain this morning just by laying on it.
:vibes::vibes::vibes:*Prayers* from the heart and hoping you have supplies -- feline and human -- and good devices!

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Illinois has extended shutdown to at least end of May now. A friend who is a paramedic or similar in the Chicago suburbs said that cases seem to be calming down here a bit, but he doens't know how Chicago is doing. Although, three of the suburb hospitals (I think out of 5?) had their ICU beds filled the last couple of weeks. But I'm sure if the stay at home was lifted, we'd see increased cases again within a couple of weeks, so glad the stay at home is continuing.
I don't know how to copy and paste on this tablet, but tell him to check the IL Dept of Health - idph.illinois.gov. There is a nice graphic there that gives the number of cases and fatalities by county for the whole state.

The medical group I use has designated certain of its buildings as COVID-19 only cases and is sending unaffected cases elsewhere. Even those vet everyone coming in the door.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I won't get my test result for a few days. My self-quarantine has begun.

I'm having the same symptoms I did yesterday. Selene gave me chest pain this morning just by laying on it.
There are still always other viruses going around all the time, it may not be this. I remember the longest lasting virus I had was one I got during the summer. It hung on for two weeks before I went to the doctor. They took blood because I hadn't had complete blood work done in a long time but she said she thought it was a virus of some sort. It ended up hanging on for a full month. I got the letter saying everything was fine with my blood work it was just some kind of virus.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This area seems to have gotten past the binge buying of paper products, thank goodness. It lasted longer then I thought it would. It now seems to just be the disinfectants which makes sense.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It now seems to just be the disinfectants which makes sense.
Yeah, after barely using a bottle in a year, I've used 1 1/2 spray bottles of disinfectant cleaner at work in the last month. If everyone is cleaning that much, demand is going to be up for a while.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't think many people are even using disinfectants properly. No one bothers to read the instructions on the label. Clorox wipes for example. The instructions says to use enough wipes to completely wet a surface for up to 4 minutes and then let dry. Most people just give the surface a quick wipe with a single wipe. The contact time is what will allow the disinfectant to kill the maximum amount of viruses and bacteria. So read the label instructions and follow it :)

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think many people are even using disinfectants properly. No one bothers to read the instructions on the label. Clorox wipes for example. The instructions says to use enough wipes to completely wet a surface for up to 4 minutes and then let dry. Most people just give the surface a quick wipe with a single wipe. The contact time is what will allow the disinfectant to kill the maximum amount of viruses and bacteria. So read the label instructions and follow it :)
I wonder if this is the same with rubbing alcohol. I've read that it takes 5 min. to kill, so I've been wiping and setting down and not touching for 5 min. for groceries. If it has to stay wet for the whole 5 min... 😢

The cleaner spray we use on the kitchen table after doing groceries has to be left on for 10 min. and can be wiped dry.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I wonder if this is the same with rubbing alcohol. I've read that it takes 5 min. to kill, so I've been wiping and setting down and not touching for 5 min. for groceries. If it has to stay wet for the whole 5 min... 😢

The cleaner spray we use on the kitchen table after doing groceries has to be left on for 10 min. and can be wiped dry.
I have to think that alcohol kills immediately. It’s used for this purpose for injections and they certainly don’t wait five minutes. Also hand sanitizers, main ingredient alcohol, kill germs immediatel.

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
~ Rubbing and wiping has a lot to do with disinfecting. The friction can destroy bacteria and many virus. Alcohol gel works good on hands as you rub fingers together.
Just keeping our hands sanitized helps much. Don't forget to keep your cellphone clean 📲👌

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
W WillowMarie ROFLMOTO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's so funny. I've seen a lot of videos of people dressing up to take out the rubbish, but this beats all.
Katie M Katie M How are you feeling today?
A nurse once told me they don't even swab the injection site to disinfect, but to cool the area so it won't be so painful. That makes 0 sense to me, so I think you're right, JamesCalifornia JamesCalifornia and susanm9006 susanm9006 and also, a 99%/1% solution of water to bleach is recommended for wipedown of surfaces.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
About the same as I did yesterday.

The worst thing is the chest pressure. I'm not short of breath, thank goodness, but a deep breath or the wrong move will cause pain.
Sure am sorry to hear that, and hoping it's not "the Rona" but no matter what, suggesting you need to take those deep breaths to keep your lungs functioning:
I'm doing this anyway, every day, and I feel a lot better afterwards, because like most people I don't breathe as deeply as I should and don't clear my lungs in this way without thinking about it.