Corona Virus Now Spreading

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kieka Kieka and Jem Jem bless all your hearts. Having to endure what we are all going through is taxing and stressful on the most resilient of us, never mind everyone else. I find myself occasionally forgetting things, feeling like I'd like to just burst into tears, etc. so I can well relate. We all have to really watch out for/care for/help each other in these times AND be good to ourselves because if we're not strong, we sure can't help anyone else and we'll just be creating another stressor/concern for someone else. It's long been my hypothesis that prolonged, severe stress can be the cause of people's minds just snapping or shutting down. Many people who suffer losses go into fairly sudden declines -- my father had this happen. These are, as someone once said, 'the times that try men's (and women's and children's and everyone else's) souls.'

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe she thought she'd just touch things with the glove and then throw it away when she got to her destination. . .and then forgot. As we all tend to do. I swear I just can't stop touching my face. . .

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe she thought she'd just touch things with the glove and then throw it away when she got to her destination. . .and then forgot. As we all tend to do. I swear I just can't stop touching my face. . .
Very possible. I brought one glove when stopping at a gas station to fill up my car. One hand touch my car and credit card and the other (gloved) only touching the pump and equipment. It was confusing keeping everything straight and took a lot of focus and energy! Good intentions though!

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Very possible. I brought one glove when stopping at a gas station to fill up my car. One hand touch my car and credit card and the other (gloved) only touching the pump and equipment. It was confusing keeping everything straight and took a lot of focus and energy! Good intentions though!
I do that, but I don't have gloves so I use dog bags :D. But I put the bag over my right hand and only use the bagged hand to touch everything, except for my own car and gas cap. When I'm done with the card I bathe it in Germ-X before putting it back in my wallet, and when I'm totally done I throw the bag away and clean my hands with Germ-X too.

It can be kind of exhausting thinking so much about germs! I was honestly never a germaphobe before so this is all new behavior for me.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My brother's girlfriend's sister tested positive. She works at a Tyson chicken plant in Nebraska, which is why she got a test. And I just saw on Facebook that she had trouble breathing during the night and is now in the hospital :/. I don't know her personally, but it's definitely starting to get real-er.

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My brother's girlfriend's sister tested positive. She works at a Tyson chicken plant in Nebraska, which is why she got a test. And I just saw on Facebook that she had trouble breathing during the night and is now in the hospital :/. I don't know her personally, but it's definitely starting to get real-er.
That's scary, I hope she gets better!

Our numbers continue to rise, though I guess we are lucky since compared to many other places in the US our numbers are very low. They used to give the number of individuals who were in the hospital with the updates but they don't do that anymore. I only noticed it when my boss mentioned that there are a few individuals in the hospital that are considered "persons of interest" but who either haven't been tested or the tests aren't back yet and they are in the ICU utilizing ventilators. Which is scary, because at least before I was telling myself that even with more positives there weren't any hospitalizations and therefore we were in good shape.

Our governor has mentioned starting a phased reopening, but I'm not sure when. I can only imagine case numbers will explode when that happens but I guess we'll see. I was told this morning that my university will follow her lead and do a phased reopening as well, but that the individuals in my office will still be working from home for awhile.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Our numbers continue to rise, though I guess we are lucky since compared to many other places in the US our numbers are very low. They used to give the number of individuals who were in the hospital with the updates but they don't do that anymore. I only noticed it when my boss mentioned that there are a few individuals in the hospital that are considered "persons of interest" but who either haven't been tested or the tests aren't back yet and they are in the ICU utilizing ventilators. Which is scary, because at least before I was telling myself that even with more positives there weren't any hospitalizations and therefore we were in good shape.

Our governor has mentioned starting a phased reopening, but I'm not sure when. I can only imagine case numbers will explode when that happens but I guess we'll see. I was told this morning that my university will follow her lead and do a phased reopening as well, but that the individuals in my office will still be working from home for awhile.
Heartfelt *Prayers* for that girl.

And yes, I'm thinking you are right. It is far too soon for that to happen and the experts warning of a 'much worse' Autumn may well be prescient. Why we don't learn from them is something very frustrating to me.

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

In Illinois, we started giving many, many more tests. We are up to over 10,000 per day for the last few days. The positives, of course, have increased since more tests are available and being used. In the image below, it is apparent when the increased testing started as the line has a slightly more positive slope since then. I do wonder how much testing is available in other areas and how test availability would change numbers in other areas. I'm glad your numbers are low, but also wonder what the actual numbers are if more testing was being done. Below is stats on Illinois:

The week prior to this between 0 and 7,600 tests per day were reported to be used.

April 22- 9,300 tests with 2,049 new positives (up 498 from previous day)
April 23- 9,000 tests with 1,826 new positives (down 223 from previous day)
April 24- 12,900 tests with 2,724 new positives (up 898 from previous day)
April 25- 15,400 tests with 2,119 new positives (down 605 from previous day)
April 26- 13,300 tests with 2,126 new positives (up 7 from previous day)
April 27- 12,700 tests with 1,980 new positives (down 146 from previous day)

Except for April 25, most other days increase or decrease in new cases from previous day when number of tests given increased or decreased from previous day, respectively.

Scrolling past about two weeks previous to increasing testing numbers, it seems we were having between 1,000-1,500 with a couple days higher, but still under 1,800 (both from testing days when the number of tests given was over 7,000 tests). So I wonder how the new case numbers would have looked compared to the previous couple of weeks had the same number of tests been available and more people were able to get tested.It appears that Illinois new cases in Illinois has been growing, but again, how many of these people had to wait to have tests and were sick weeks ago, or people who were sick weeks ago, but were unable to get tested. I would like to think social distancing has slowed the spread down, but unfortunately we will never know the true impacts since the data will forever be incomplete due to limited and restricted testing.

1588100744198.png

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In Illinois, we started giving many, many more tests. We are up to over 10,000 per day for the last few days. The positives, of course, have increased since more tests are available and being used. In the image below, it is apparent when the increased testing started as the line has a slightly more positive slope since then. I do wonder how much testing is available in other areas and how test availability would change numbers in other areas. I'm glad your numbers are low, but also wonder what the actual numbers are if more testing was being done. Below is stats on Illinois:

The week prior to this between 0 and 7,600 tests per day were reported to be used.

April 22- 9,300 tests with 2,049 new positives (up 498 from previous day)
April 23- 9,000 tests with 1,826 new positives (down 223 from previous day)
April 24- 12,900 tests with 2,724 new positives (up 898 from previous day)
April 25- 15,400 tests with 2,119 new positives (down 605 from previous day)
April 26- 13,300 tests with 2,126 new positives (up 7 from previous day)
April 27- 12,700 tests with 1,980 new positives (down 146 from previous day)

Except for April 25, most other days increase or decrease in new cases from previous day when number of tests given increased or decreased from previous day, respectively.

Scrolling past about two weeks previous to increasing testing numbers, it seems we were having between 1,000-1,500 with a couple days higher, but still under 1,800 (both from testing days when the number of tests given was over 7,000 tests). So I wonder how the new case numbers would have looked compared to the previous couple of weeks had the same number of tests been available and more people were able to get tested.It appears that Illinois new cases in Illinois has been growing, but again, how many of these people had to wait to have tests and were sick weeks ago, or people who were sick weeks ago, but were unable to get tested. I would like to think social distancing has slowed the spread down, but unfortunately we will never know the true impacts since the data will forever be incomplete due to limited and restricted testing.

View attachment 332080
You’ll see the Total numbers of tests and Tests/1mln on this page, it gives a good indication on the difference in testing in different states:
I’m amazed how well Washington state is handling this comparing to other states. Less than 200 a day is a remarkably good given when we could have been, as the first US cases were here.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do wonder how much testing is available in other areas
Not a lot! I'm pretty sure there's no way I could get tested without actually being sick enough to be admitted into the hospital.

And I don't want to pay $120 for an antibody test and I doubt most people would. So that's going to jam things up too. We'd know a lot more if they could get the testing figured out.

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You’ll see the Total numbers of tests and Tests/1mln on this page, it gives a good indication on the difference in testing in different states:
[/URL]
I’m amazed how well Washington state is handling this comparing to other states. Less than 200 a day is a remarkably good given when we could have been, as the first US cases were here.
Wow, thanks! It's so interesting to look at tests/1 million population. Illinois is in the middle the list for testing, so it shows we are still far from where we need to be with making tests available. It will be interesting to see where we land in the coming weeks with the increased testing if Illinois move up the list.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's not been much testing at all here in the UK either which is one of the main things the government is currently being criticised for. Countries like Germany and South Korea who tested pretty much everyone early on have had a much more contained death rate than us.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am glad you are feeling better and had a negative test. There are still other viruses going around, there always are. You picked up one of the other garden variety rather then this new to human one.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:yess::clap2:@Katie M !!! Feel better soon! (and of course, stay safe, healthy, sane, and strong!) VERY good news.

As for the big picture, W WillowMarie said it: "... I would like to think social distancing has slowed the spread down, but unfortunately we will never know the true impacts since the data will forever be incomplete due to limited and restricted testing." And unless everyone is tested at exactly the same time, we never WILL know.

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
As for the big picture, W WillowMarie W WillowMarie said it: "... I would like to think social distancing has slowed the spread down, but unfortunately we will never know the true impacts since the data will forever be incomplete due to limited and restricted testing." And unless everyone is tested at exactly the same time, we never WILL know
~ Yes true. Another thing is we have no 'control ' group to compare. But we do have observational studies that show China doing very poorly with their efforts to stop the spread of virus - and Sweden is doing quite well with much less stringent measures. We are doing well in the U.S. but have not put an explanation on why New York was hit so hard. ( but not as bad as predicted )
Here is some information about masks ✔