Corona Virus Now Spreading

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The one thing that crossed my mind while getting ready to do the dreaded shopping is that this "fear" we have may be detected by our pets. Yesterday I posted about Cooper, otherwise friendly, acting mean and while I may not have the panic type fear, it is concerning because of Mom, and the more I think about it Cooper may have been reacting to the emotions he's feeling from my neighbors who do have to go to work or lose their jobs. I noticed the cats started to act a bit "off" when this came full head in the news. Just a thought. If I'm wrong just ignore me but thought I'd mention it since this is still a cat forum.
that is possible, animals tend to react to our emotions. But if he keeps acting that way, i would take him to the vet. Any change in behavior should be reported to a vet.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are they really that full? :sigh: I hope they can fit you both in soon for your procedures. :vibes::hearthrob:

Your doctors both work at the hospital? I know some doctors have private practices but do surgeries at hospitals. The doctor cant do the procedure somewhere else that isnt full?

sorry, i dont know how this works, just trying to help.
I don't know if my neighbor's doctor refused to do it or if the hospital said they did not have room. I don't know how that works either. My sister has been trying to schedule my knee surgery for me but she is having problems with my GI doctor and my orthopedic doctor.

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also a pre school child just tested positive for it, in an Illinois county. So the virus is mutating as before we were told that children under 10 are not testing positive for the virus. Which is scary.
I don't think it was ever known to not be present in children, just that children were more likely to be asymptomatic so they were tested less often.

Mutations are being tracked, and so far they seem to not change the function of the virus very much.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I did postpone my dr visit until the end of June with bloodwork to be done a week prior to the appt. They completely understood and gave me a 3-month script for my meds, which we picked up at Target yesterday. We also hit Giant for a package of toilet paper, two dozen eggs, and some butter. And the important stuff: Salted caramel chocolate ice cream, a box of Cheez-Its, and some potato chips.

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Restaurants have access to business supply catalogs and may have already had a few boxes in the back. They probably aren't stripping Walmart's shelves of Charmin.
thats good then. if their supplier still has a lot of product, they could do a lot of good by buying and donating to people without needing to be a customer. but i guess everyone has to make money, just seems like a way to use this tragedy to advertise for themselves.

I don't know if my neighbor's doctor refused to do it or if the hospital said they did not have room. I don't know how that works either. My sister has been trying to schedule my knee surgery for me but she is having problems with my GI doctor and my orthopedic doctor.
i hope your sister can figure something out, dont want you to be stuck in pain, and who knows how long this will last. sending you positive energy :vibes: :hearthrob: .

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In my dad's case, the hospital cancelled all of his surgeries that weren't scheduled c-sections. They are trying to free up resources that are needed to keep people alive for when the cases start rolling in, and also I assume reduce the chances for people who are already going to be weakened by surgery to come in contact with the virus. But he fought to get a few rescheduled that he thought could not wait. When you get rescheduled, ask to follow up with your doctor personally to make sure your surgery can afford to be postponed or if you might be one of the cases that needs priority.

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been wondering. If a face mask doesn't protect a healthy person from getting the virus, why is there such a demand for masks for nurses and doctors?
It does help a little bit. The argument was basically that the rest of you is still exposed, so it can get in your eyes and on your hands and then you touch your face and things, but it still reduces your exposure somewhat. More importantly, though, masks do much more good overall for people who are definitely getting exposed to the virus (healthcare workers) versus people who only might be exposed to the virus (the average person), so priority should go to healthcare workers. Plus, the average person is more likely to feel invincible and take more risks while wearing a mask than not wearing one, and we don't want that either.

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Speaking as a healthcare provider, the reason masks don’t do much good to the average person is because they only work if worn correctly. Meaning not touching the outside of the mask or anywhere on your face. They also have to be taken off in a specific way to avoid contaminating the user. Finally, there is such a shortage that we need the masks for taking care of confirmed positive coronavirus patients rather than have them used up by the general public who may or may not be near someone with coronavirus.

Micaela227

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi guys, update in the Argentina situacion. Since last night we are in obligatory quarantine, we can only go out to buy food or hygiene products, go to the hospitals, and take the pets to the vet. Schools still closed, and the only people working are the ones that work in the places that I already said, and of course police and firefighters. We have now (last night) 128 confirmed cases, and 3 deaths (all of them were over 60 years old). Also, some guy who was in Uruguay and had been confirmed with coronavirus decided to escape from the hospital he was in and took a ferry to Argentina with another 400 people, and now all of them are in quarentine in a hotel.
Hope you are all doing well where you are, stay strong and take care of yourself and those around you ❤

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you haven't seen this yet...

Toilet Paper Calculator

Pass it on!

lol

(be sure to adjust the advanced settings)
Too funny! Thanks! Seems pretty accurate, too. Although I use the lower quality 2 ply 4-packs that are under $1. Wonder if higher quality would last less, assuming you have to use less/visit.

Not sure how I feel about this. If these restaurants weren't buying these there wouldn't be a shortage, but then again if they weren't buying then others would be hoarding. This is an extremely reliable source as they have been our local news for the almost 65 years I've been alive.

Some restaurants are offering rolls of toilet paper with to-go orders

Also a pre school child just tested positive for it, in an Illinois county. So the virus is mutating as before we were told that children under 10 are not testing positive for the virus. Which is scary.
Hmm... wonder if they are trying to promote people ordering their food... I hope they do not order it though. I mean, how sanitary is a role take out of a package and handled by people compared to buying a new package yourself at the store?

I've seen headlines of newborns testing positive. Not sure if they came out that way or what. Did not read the full articles... Scary though. Hopefully more people will be taking the social distancing more seriously.

that makes me worry about my nieces and nephews. how scary!

also, how is them buying a bunch of toilet paper and only "give it away" to customers helping anyone? if they wanted to be helpful they would just donate it. This just makes it look like they are taking advantage of the situation to get publicity. Just my opinion.:ohwell:
Agree they should just donate it! My guess they are thinking of ways to increase business and promote ordering from them...

My neighbor needs to have back surgery but the hospital won't do it because they need the room for the Corona virus patients. I also need to have knee replacement surgery and I am sure they won't do it because they will need the room for the Corona virus patients. That is fine with me but I would like to have the surgery sometime in the near future because I can barely walk.
Sending positive vibes to you :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes: Hope the time passes fast until you're surgery is able to be completed. Keep us updated!

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OUCH, sorry to hear.

As explained to me by a neighbor nurse, all health facilities are bracing for an ENORMOUS demand in the weeks ahead relating to the coronavirus. They expect, in her words, to be "swamped to the gills of the gills of the gills" with testing and, likely ICU care for critical patients. They're moving any "non essential" surgeries out as far as possible, because they don't want a lot of recovering surgery patients to fill up wards that will soon be desperately needed. Her own mother's knee replacement will have to be rescheduled, too.

I dearly desperately hope we don't end up with a situation like Italy's here in the U.S.

Last edited:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
More and more hospitals are cancelling all elective procedures and surgeries. Health care people who normally do those things are now staffing emergency rooms. New York City called up recently retired health care workers.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
how sanitary is a role take out of a package and handled by people compared to buying a new package yourself at the store?
Often the industrial TP rolls are individually wrapped. If not, someone could just unroll the first few feet on the outside of the roll and dispose of it if they were concerned.

Minnesota has straight-up BANNED elective surgeries and non-emergency dental procedures.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
that is possible, animals tend to react to our emotions. But if he keeps acting that way, i would take him to the vet. Any change in behavior should be reported to a vet.
If you look at my post in the feral cat forum that I updated yesterday though you'll notice that I made mention that the other wildlife: birds, raccoons, possums etc are also displaying the same behavior as Cooper and the other cats.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been wondering. If a face mask doesn't protect a healthy person from getting the virus, why is there such a demand for masks for nurses and doctors?
We wear the regular surgical masks to keep us from spreading something to patients- to keep a surgery suite sterile (don't want to cough on a patient who is opened up for surgery), and for patients in isolation to not pass something to them. If we have to take a respiratory isolation patient out of the room, then the patient wears a mask to not pass something on. And for respiratory patients to not pass something to us when we are in the room.
In the community they say not effective because people may be able to spread Covid before having symptoms, best way to prevent is hand washing- so mask not going to help much there. But if a person is coughing and sneezing and out and about they should wear a mask. But now we're to stay home even if healthy.

Medical people wear masks these days in the hospital to protect from themselves sick patients in the hospital (they can't get sick and have to stay home these days), and especially with a Covid patient. And they can't risk passing something to a sick patient. With an ER patient they have no idea what that patient may have till evaluated.

Also, these days the masks can help medical people not touch their faces, and shield nose and mouth from droplets when in closer than 6 feet contact with a patient. And with the shields plus masks workers are more shielded from droplets from patients.

The masks people have to be fitted for are the N-95 respirator masks, with the regular ones fitting is not needed.

Plus if people are all wearing masks then hospitals would be woefully short, even more than now.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Wondering how I"m going to get my fix of hot chili peppers as those are among the items people here have hoarded. In fact all the hot spicy foods shelves are empty. My store is putting up a sign to limit how much of that people can buy.