Corona Virus Now Spreading

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
C catapault I saw that as well. I think the week long quarantine should take care of any worries in that department, especially if I don't develop any fever. I hate it because I feel fine. That being said, I'd rather keep my coworkers safe than go to work and possibly infect people since we are considered essential workers.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m feeling under the weather today, no fever but some nasal congestion and body aches. I keep telling myself it’s just a cold. Thankfully I’m working from home; I had a list of stuff I wanted to get done today but this morning at least I’m going to try to rest.

We have one case in our city but it was someone who travelled and immediately went to the hospital upon returning. But who knows how many unconfirmed there are.

I used to have really bad health anxiety which is pretty well controlled now and the scariest thing for me is that you could have it for like 14 days before showing symptoms. And then be sick for awhile after. I always preferred things that acted quickly, less time to sit around and get more and more nervous about what may be to come.
I had the same symptoms a few weeks ago, just stayed home and it passed quickly. I think it was my allergies or a mild cold. Hope you feel better!

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That is what makes this so hard. Absent a fever the symptoms are like an allergy or cold. Since wide spread testing isn't available, preferably outside of health care facilities, then the assumption has to be made that it is COVID-19.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a sobering thought this morning...
I wish to extend my deepest sympathies to anyone who has or may lose a loved one in the coming weeks/months (to covid or other means). With social distancing, funerals and celebrations of life are something that many need to help the grieving process and is now something that no longer can happen.
Although they can be postponed to a later date, and phone calls and face time can be used, the need for closeness of family and friends during such a loss is something that is difficult to do without.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Just returned from shopping at Aldi. Now this is my particular store as I heard other Aldi's in St Louis are not this strict: but they had a guard letting only 10 customers in at a time then locking the door til we left and then letting another 10 customers in. Shelves were still pretty bare though, no meat, no ramen noodles (hey for an emergency they're great) and hardly any coffee. Can goods are limited to 4 per customer and they're placing a limit of no more than 4 cans of wet cat food as well as pet owners are depleting the shelves leaving none for other pet owners.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since wide spread testing isn't available, preferably outside of health care facilities, then the assumption has to be made that it is COVID-19.
A fellow colleague of mine (in a different city - same profession) is in quarantine at the moment due to being "unofficially" diagnosed with Covid-19. She had contact with someone, who is currently in hospital requiring a ventilator (and only in his 30s), who has all the telltale symptoms of it. I say "unofficial" because they are not testing everyone, even if they highly suspect a covid infection. They told her to take her symptoms plus the fact that she had contact with someone as her diagnosis that she has it.
This just emphasizes the fact that we need to continue self-isolating. There are MANY people out there with this, who just can't or won't be tested due to limited supplies. Our numbers for cases is much higher than is being reported, (case in point - being told you have it without being tested) so we need to be safe.
The only positive that can come from this is the fact that if we consider that the amount of cases are much higher, that means that the overall mortality rate is much lower, as we don't have all the numbers for proper analysis.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
That is what makes this so hard. Absent a fever the symptoms are like an allergy or cold. Since wide spread testing isn't available, preferably outside of health care facilities, then the assumption has to be made that it is COVID-19.
It is! Then they weren't testing for my symptoms- everything I was doing had been cancelled (am retired) so just stayed home like now except for needed food once I'd been symptom free for a couple of days. And stayed away from other people.
Just have to assume it likely could be and act accordingly.

Show Me Your Kitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My state's Governor has announced a stay-at-home order. Only people with essential jobs can go to work, and you can only leave the house if you need essential things like food. Going outside and for walks is permitted but avoid people, basically.

So many people thought 2020 was finally going to be a good year. Instead we got fires in Australia, a WWIII scare, and now a pandemic and it's only March.

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So many people thought 2020 was finally going to be a good year. Instead we got fires in Australia, a WWIII scare, and now a pandemic and it's only March.
It's so scary. I'm listening to the news in the UK as I type this and the government is saying they will need to find places to store bodies!
It's like living in the middle ages but with technology and I can't quite believe it's happening.

Show Me Your Kitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's so scary. I'm listening to the news in the UK as I type this and the government is saying they will need to find places to store bodies!
It's like living in the middle ages but with technology and I can't quite believe it's happening.
Damn, stay safe! I'm quite thankful I live in a rural area where people are spread far apart. Hopefully this stay at home order keeps the virus from spreading further.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
My dad went to work this morning and refuses to close his business down which is irresponsible in my opinion.

He said, "I'm just going to go sit down..." But what for? There is not point in doing that. Lots of places are closing down.

I hate to say it but he will work until the day he drops. Work has always been priority. His heart is in terrible shape and he keeps complaining about how scary the virus is for a person like him (because of his health). Yet, he refuses to close it down.

He doesn't get much jobs anymore anyway and even more so now because of the virus so I think he should just close it down for good at this point.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I seen film from Italy over the weekend about this. The worst part is in northern Italy and they ran out of room for the bodies. They had film of a convoy of military vehicles taking the bodies to another part of the country.

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I did some grocery shopping this morning. It was raining pretty hard and that seemed to deter crowds. I am trying to shop only at Sprouts (a small organic grocery chain) except for cat food and stocking up on frozen meals.

Their were maybe a dozen shoppers in the store and they were nicely stocked on almost everything, though they were almost out of bread. But a good experience and I was able to get fresh fruits and vegetables.

My county has the second highest number of cases in our state and Is adjacent to the one with the highest number and we are all on stay at home orders. Since I have a lifelong history of asthma I am staying in as much as I possibly can.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
It's sad when your world is turned upside down like this. Who's going to survive, who's not? While again I'm not overly concerned about dying, I do worry about Mom and the cats. These cats were in a hoarding situation and lost one human 2 to 3 years ago and kicked to the curb. It took a long time for them to once again trust another human (me). I don't know what they will do trust wise if I did catch this and die. And as stated earlier no one is nearby to take care of them and Mom and those that are close don't want to get involved; so called friends or family.

It may not be prophetic, in fact I know it isn't but this entire situation reminds me so much of The Stand by Stephen King. When I read that book 35 years ago and saw the mini series I never thought that this would even be something I'd live to see. Personally I have not been experiencing any symptoms. Heck I haven't had a cold or flu for 25 years. Only issues I have faced were the injuries and this darn mosquito bite thing that lasted through to end of January. I try to focus on being healthy and well through meditation and binaural beats but something always pops up in the news that reminds me of something in The Stand. (Again not a prophesy but just similarities). And now this which I understand to be necessary but darn it. :

Dierbergs installs clear barriers for health of customers and workers

Last edited:

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think there's some sort of reverse placebo effect happening with people right now. Almost everyone I talk to these days, on both continents, has some sort of cold/flu symptoms. I think that in my case, this is my mind playing tricks on me. The coronavirus took over my mind, all my conversations are about this, all I read is about this, all my worries relates to this, last night I dreamed about this... It's madness and I'm wondering if that's why I have sore throat, headache, I'm congested, I had two pain chest episodes or I imagined them.. it's really hard to tell. It might as well have been anxiety.
I'm wondering if other people go through the same. I saw that in Washington, 96% of tests turn out to be negative. So lots of people get tested that shouldn't be, it seems, if everyone can't get tested. So really no wonder they have to make choices now and limit the number of tested people. I wish the test was available here for every single person like in some countries.....

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We just got a service talk telling us we're officially essential personnel, therefore not subject to any restrictions, and that if any authorities stop us, to show them our badges and explain it to them. So that's fun. Also, now I have to find my badge :paperbag: .

Yeah, I have some congestion/scratchy throat/etc. I wish there was some way to know if it's the power of suggestion, a cold, allergies, or C19. Ugh.