Corona Virus Now Spreading

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, so to clarify, soap works very well with a bit of agitation. Other disinfectants (alcohol, bleach, quaternary ammonium, etc) work well if left to sit on the surface, so depending on what you're cleaning, one type might be easier than another.
We discovered something yesterday... our local grocery began instructing their workers to use bleach/ water solutions on the surfaces at the checkout stand, and, as it air-dries, that solution gets on the bottom of the paper grocery bags. How did we figure this out? When we arrived back home and unpacked our groceries, Milly went loco-bananas with the store receipt and with one of the paper bags, both of which had been touching the damp, freshly-spritzed surfaces at the store. lol. She rolled around, ecstatic, just like she'd had some catnip. It was bleach, though, as she is one of those cats that flips out over bleach smells.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The UK is now on lockdown except for vital shopping and exercise out once a day. Chains like McDonalds and Costa are closing their doors tonight. At least it's only for three weeks, rather than a few months like it has been in Italy. It just makes me angry that we only implemented this because some idiots took advantage and crowded beaches and parks over the weekend.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, the Coronavirus has arrived in my apartment building, despite all the precautions and warnings management had.

We all found out late this afternoon.

I do not know who it is. All I know is that she was taken out by ambulance, the test came back positive.
Yesterday, I noticed a worker, manning the check in desk, wearing a mask and gloves. Today all staff were wearing either or.

This is senior housing. There are 234 apartments in here; many very elderly and frail. This is going to be devastating. I am worried about myself. I have asthma, had pneumonia last year, and my immune system has been running wild, lately.

I am really worried about what would hat to Geoffrey, if I had to be hospitalized. No one I know would want to come in here.

Say prayers, good thoughts, light candles .....what ever it takes.

Thanks

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
West Virginia now has a stay at home order, starting tomorrow night.

I have to admit that I'm scared, not just for my physical health and that of my family, but for my mental health as well.

glittercat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The UK is now on lockdown except for vital shopping and exercise out once a day. Chains like McDonalds and Costa are closing their doors tonight. At least it's only for three weeks, rather than a few months like it has been in Italy. It just makes me angry that we only implemented this because some idiots took advantage and crowded beaches and parks over the weekend.
Was that on the 8.30 BoJo speech? I missed it.... BBC news here I come...

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I think Canada is doing a lockdown too. All non-essential businesses have to close by tonight or something like that and will have to remain closed for three weeks? I could have read the article wrong.

This will not be good for me. There aren't many people to talk to and being stuck inside the house all the time isn't good for me mentally either. I believe leaving home is also forbidden? So, no walks out or going to the park or walking my dog... I can't with this.

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Apparently someone (unfortunately, someone with a lot of authority) disagrees with all the experts :(
And Trump is really wanting to end social distancing and people off work after the 15 day period that ends in a week, to help the economy. We are doomed.

This terrifies me, too. Peoples lives are more important. I hope someone can override this if he tries to cancel social distancing.

My father passed away from a chronic illness nearly two weeks ago, the day before a state of emergency was declared for our area. So we have no idea when we'll be able to have any kind of a funeral or memorial service for him.

I mean, we've been grieving a little bit each day for a long time as we took care of him ourselves to the very end, and were able to comfort each other during those dark days. But it's weird how utterly alone we feel to mourn Dad's passing, even though our relatives have been great about calling us nearly every day.
I'm so sorry for you loss :hugs: I cannot imagine how hard that must be.

Well, the Coronavirus has arrived in my apartment building, despite all the precautions and warnings management had.

I do not know who it is. All I know is that she was taken out by ambulance, the test came back positive.
Yesterday, I noticed a worker, manning the check in desk, wearing a mask and gloves. Today all staff were wearing either or.

This is senior housing. There are 234 apartments in here; many very elderly and frail. This is going to be devastating. I am worried about myself. I have asthma, had pneumonia last year, and my immune system has been running wild, lately.

I am really worried about what would hat to Geoffrey, if I had to be hospitalized. No one I know would want to come in here.

Thanks
My heart goes out to you. Stay safe and keep washing those hands.

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Graceful-Lily Graceful-Lily , most lockdown orders still allow you to walk your dog. Hopefully that will be the case. Wishing you and everyone stable mental health.

Speaking of Canada, if any Canadians want to do something to help from home:
Sign this petition: Sign the Petition
And email your government officials to urge them to relax restrictions on who can perform diagnostic testing.

Quoting a Canadian infectious disease researcher (@MoriartyLab on twitter):
Write to your MP and MPP TONIGHT. Tell them to help relax regulations so that under a state of emergency research labs can perform #COVID-19 testing under the full supervision & control of public testing labs, with all required quality assurance & privacy protection measures.
Standard tests already developed in public health labs can be run by highly skilled technicians from research labs, without requiring that research lab techs go through the normal accreditation process, under the full supervision of public health labs.
Not sure if other countries have organized similar petitions, but I am on the lookout.

glittercat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
:(

I'm really glad to have just read that vets and pet shops are to remain open

Found out that the optician I use is closing (big chain retailer)...let's hope nothing happens to my glasses...

BoJo said to get food delivered... I've never had that but apparently all the online supermarket sites are in meltdown and a lot aren't even accepting new customers... So how's that supposed to work?

Also lots of questions about practical things that people aren't sure about. Can cars still be taken for MOT? Breaking the law not to have one, and insurance not valid. What if you own horses? Are you able to leave the house to care for them? (I don't but friends do).

I really understand the premise and I have no problem staying at home providing I can get food for the cats and myself. but many people are still confused, there are grey areas.

:( :(

Micaela227

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi guys. I just wanted to ask if this is also happening wherever you are, because it's really weird. There are no birds. We see maybe 2 or 3 a day. I'm from Argentina, and I've mention it to my uncle who lives 10 km away and it's the same in his area. So, does anybody knows why this could be happening? It's kind of freaking us out.

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi guys. I just wanted to ask if this is also happening wherever you are, because it's really weird. There are no birds. We see maybe 2 or 3 a day. I'm from Argentina, and I've mention it to my uncle who lives 10 km away and it's the same in his area. So, does anybody knows why this could be happening? It's kind of freaking us out.
I'm in the southeast United States. We have had the usual amount of birds at our feeders and flying around. Maybe that's just an anomaly where you are?

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
Denver issued a stay at home/close things order today, including closing all non-essential businesses, starting tomorrow. That included liquor stores and dispensaries. So tons of people rushed to the liquor stores and dispensaries, to buy up, meaning crowds.
So they just exempted liquor stores and dispensaries from the order, as long as people social distance while in the store.
I was thinking ok, now alcoholics will have alcohol withdrawal and have to go to the emergency rooms! Although they would have gone to a suburb for the booze.
So liquor stores and dispensaries are an essential business now.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
I have the normal amount of birds for March.

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My mom has commented that there are an abundance of birds at their farm, eating from the feeders and singing. Last year there were hardly any and she missed them greatly. I wonder if there are other things at play we don’t know about.

I’m still feeling achy and crummy, with a runny nose. My throat hurts too but it’s definitely an acid reflux pain, which is both comforting and really annoying. I have a lot to do this week so I’m going to take some Aleve PM, go to bed early, and hope I feel better tomorrow.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This will not be good for me. There aren't many people to talk to and being stuck inside the house all the time isn't good for me mentally either. I believe leaving home is also forbidden? So, no walks out or going to the park or walking my dog... I can't with this.
You can still go for a walk, just be sure you keep your distance from other people, but yes, I would avoid parks and places where people "gather", I do believe they are off limits...You are also allowed to leave your home to get groceries and supplies...from stores that are still open. I believe they will be announcing a list of "essential" and "non-essential" businesses/stores to clarify for people tomorrow.

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My father passed away from a chronic illness nearly two weeks ago, the day before a state of emergency was declared for our area. So we have no idea when we'll be able to have any kind of a funeral or memorial service for him.

I mean, we've been grieving a little bit each day for a long time as we took care of him ourselves to the very end, and were able to comfort each other during those dark days. But it's weird how utterly alone we feel to mourn Dad's passing, even though our relatives have been great about calling us nearly every day.
I'm so sorry for your loss. :grouphug::heartshape:Continue staying close to your family, its the most important thing during difficult times. We are also here if you need someone to talk to. I created a thread that i write on from time to time about things im going through, and it really does help to know people are listening. So, you can always create a thread to write out your thoughts and feelings.

Sending you healing energy and positive thoughts. :vibes::heartshape:

Thanks
sending you positive energy so you stay safe and healthy. :vibes::heartshape:

Try to avoid touching anything in that building except for your apartment. Wear a mask and gloves when you leave if you have them.

This is something thats been worrying me as well. What happens to pets when people have to be hospitalized? I wish there was an option for situations like this. :sigh: