Corona Virus Now Spreading

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I read that according to AARP that the coronavirus is most serious for people 65 and over. I am 70 years old and smoked for 40 years. I quit 5 years ago but have been told I have COPD. That kind of worries me as I will be going in the hospital and rehab for several weeks for surgery.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
If it makes you feel comfortable, stock up on your supplies. Don't give what others think a thought. We have to try and get through this the best way can. It makes me feel I am being pro-active buy buying up supplies so that I know in my mind I will not be left in a lurch if the worst case scenario happens! :)
There's nothing wrong in preparing. Don't worry about what others think. Don't re-mortgage your house to buy stuff, but stock up on things you'd use whether this virus affects you or not. I went to WalMart Friday, and the entire disinfectant shelving section was empty. When buying a disinfectant, check the label for what it kills. For example, the Lysol squirt bottle spray that I use (yellow bottle), does not kill human corona virus, but the Lysol wipes do! The Lysol spray in the aerosol can does kill human corona virus.

Be aware that N95 masks have an expiration date.

Also, think of your pets when stocking up.

I spoke with someone today who thought that buying toilet paper was "stupid", and "won't prevent the person from getting the virus." Huh?? You think that people who are being proactive are stupid, but then you have wondered if toilet paper can prevent a virus? As I told her, you always need toilet paper, and it doesn't expire. So, if the virus doesn't affect you, you just don't need to buy toilet paper for a longer time than you normally do. She looked at me as if I were insane. The point is, don't panic, think rationally about your needs. As China's industry has basically been shut down for two months (but it is starting up again), we may have some shortages. Or, maybe people will be encouraged to stay at home or made to stay at home. You won't be able to go to the store as much or even at all, possibly for weeks. I'd rather have what we need, and have too much, than wish I had bought more. I stocked up on can goods, like soup. If we don't use it by a few months before the expiration date, which is in 2022, I'll just donate it to the local food bank. It won't go to waste.

If you can afford it, throw a few treats into your food preps. This may help morale later, especially if you have children.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I have never used hand sanitizer. It doesn't wash anything off your hands. It is alcohol based so it kills viruses and germs. I don't think it is as good as washing your hands but some situations it is possible where washing your hands isn't possible. If I was in some kind of direct customer service job I would probably use it.
When I had my food service manager training, we were taught that you have to wash your hands properly before using sanitizer, and that won't work unless you wash first, which is 100F water and briskly washing your hands for 20 seconds. However, I think that hand sanitizer, when you can't wash your hands at all, is better than nothing.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I've been places where you can't flush. In some countries that's the norm. But eww. I'd rather not deal with bags full of used toilet paper if I don't have to.

The Hutterites are out in full force. I wonder if they're "prepping" or if it's their normal shopping weekend.

Sam's Club is almost out of toilet paper. They have a lot of bottled water too, but not as much as Costco. And they were out of rubbing alcohol and hand sanitizer. Everything else seemed normally stocked for a Saturday.

There was a case diagnosed in Nebraska today.
Here in PA, we have 6 suspected cases, with 2 confirmed, and they are in the counties next to mine.

justlexi93

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is really alarming, numbers of cases rise. Tourism in every country is affected. People are hoarding food, I can see limited supplies on some grocery stores. I guess the most powerful weapon that I can rely on right now will be prayers.

Xraystyle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I used to think Korea was wildly unprepared for a public health crisis, but it turns out we're doing pretty good. The benefits of social cohesion (which usually has ugly effects on those of us outside the norm). Was just reading the NY Times article where no one was getting consistent information regarding being quarantined or not. Yikes!

I was in college during the Swine Flu outbreak and then the quarantine rules were left up to local governments. Our school basically said if you're sick, don't come to class for a week. All three of my roommates got sick...I didn't (was probably asymptomatic) so I went to class...I could have spread it without realizing it!

Here, the moment someone finds out someone they contacted recently tested positive, they go into isolation. There's a list online where you can see the positive person's movements for the past week or so. It also follows who that person most likely got it from. Something like that would never fly in the states. It's coming under scrutiny here because people are making speculations like people having secret affairs and celebrities being cult members, etc.

I had one Malaysian friend get tested as she had led a tour group in Korea a few weeks ago. I didn't have time to meet her while she was here, but thankfully she tested negative anyway. That would have been bad!

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Does anyone have a reliable source for the situation that is going on in New York right now?

I've heard that the numbers are over 1,000 because of a lawyer but I'm seeing a lot of talking online but not a lot of solid information on what exactly happened.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does anyone have a reliable source for the situation that is going on in New York right now?

I've heard that the numbers are over 1,000 because of a lawyer but I'm seeing a lot of talking online but not a lot of solid information on what exactly happened.
It's hard to even follow the r/coronavirus on reddit because of the repeat posts. Very annoying.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No one knows how many there are. The big companies like LabCorp are producing tests now so there will be a lot more testing. The only ones being tested now are the ones who know they have been exposed or who have serious symptoms. Everyone who has it will not be tested. Some have no symptoms and many more just have the symptoms that go with a cold. Most people don't go to a doctor with a cold so they won't be tested. I don't doubt that the actual cases are well into the thousands. That also means we will have a higher death rate then it actually is.

Xraystyle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, that's why Korea's death rate is so comparably low to other countries. Everyone who wants to be tested can be tested, for real, even in their cars. So Korea is catching even the mild cases that might have otherwise gone unreported. Koreans also have a culture of going to the doctor for even just a cold. it's standard practice (and basically free with everyone on universal healthcare) and the only way you can get a day off work is with a doctor's notice.

On the flip side, there's a lot of discrimination against virus carriers, which could make some people reluctant to get tested until they are too sick not to go to the hospital. Some fear being outed as part of the Shincheonji cult, others just don't wanted to be treated like Pariahs even after they've been cleared. So while movements are being tracked, actual identities are not released. However, you'd know if someone you knew has it. Or, as was the case with the staff members of a famous pop star, they were identifiable by their travel pattern (had been to Italy for Milan fashion week and caught it there) and the fact that the pop star had to openly admit she'd been tested and had quarantined herself (she did not have it)

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ohio's primary is next week and there are 75 polling places state wide at nursing homes. They are moving those polling places. I know that is disruptive, people will complain about voter suppression, but it makes sense. People in nursing homes are the most vulnerable and they don't need to have people coming in them to vote. The people in the home can fill out mail in ballots which can be turned in. They are also going to have hand sanitizer at each polling place. They will probably be wiping down the machines between voters which will slow things down. I didn't get a mail in ballot this time but I go to a neighborhood polling place in a suburb and I have never had to wait more then 20 minutes or so to vote.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmm... lemme see...

The only time I buy bottled water is if we are hosting an all day social gathering or if I'm on the road and need something to sip on.
I don't expect the taps to quit running, because this is a virus, not an earthquake or hurricane.
So, I have not stocked up on bottled water. My Britta Pitcher has served me well for many years.

Also, since I don't expect the sewer lines to suddenly quit working, and I haven't heard that this virus causes massive diarrhea, I haven't bought any extra tp. Hubby says we still have 18 rolls in the closet, which should last us a good couple months. So, not worried on that front.

I was amused that Costco had sold out of both bottled water and tp, but when I went to the pharmacy section, the shelves were full of vitamins and cold meds. Seems to me, people are stocking up on the wrong things.

As for sanitizer... I've never been a fan. It's always seemed redundant to me. Unless you are working in a hospital or other environment that needs extra sanitation, it just seems like overkill. And it's brutal on your skin, which is your first natural defense to germs and such.

The fearmongering that has been going on is out of control.
I'm not saying that this isn't a serious situation... it definitely is.
Take precautions, certainly. Wash up often, be aware of what you're touching. Avoid crowds, go shopping during off hours. But don't fool yourself that tp and bottled water is going to protect you from getting the darn thing. Even if you end up needing to self quarantine, it's only for a couple weeks. And if you end up with a more serious case, you won't be using all that extra tp and water because you'll be in the friggin' hospital. :rolleyes3:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My brother and his wife were trying to decide whether to go to the Pearl Jam concert in NYC or not, since they have tickets. But Pearl Jam just canceled their tour because of the Corona Virus. :eek2: I wonder how bad this thing will get...

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was amused that Costco had sold out of both bottled water and tp, but when I went to the pharmacy section, the shelves were full of vitamins and cold meds. Seems to me, people are stocking up on the wrong things.
I agree. I don't know why people are buying up bottled water either. I have been using bottled water for 25 years because the tap water here is awful. I use it for drinking, cooking and for my cat. Right now I have 5 jugs and a case of the 16 ounce bottles. That should last me about two weeks. I hope there will be some left in the stores when I do need it. I have to depend on my sister to get it for me because I am not able to shop right now.

I don't like hand sanitizer either. I would much rather wash my hands.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's flu, just like most other cases of flu. Our bodies don't have defences against it because it is a virus, and we can't have antibodies to cover everything. The most vulnerable generation is the elderly because they don't move around much and it is much more likely to develop into pneumonia. A couple of years ago, and this year, it was the very young and we didn't make the fuss we are now. The death rate is higher than the normal flu but is no higher then flu in the past. 3-4%? What about 50% like before we had the care we have now in the early 1900's? Everyone needs to monitor themselves. If you get the flu and get chest pain and a high fever over 101 that doesn't go down, seek help. We have had almost 17,000 cases reported of influenza A and B, this season so far. Children are dying. Let's just hope spring comes quickly and all this will die down and give us some breathing room to come up with a vaccine!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
But don't fool yourself that tp and bottled water is going to protect you from getting the darn thing.
I don't think anyone believes that (well, there must be at least one person. But not a lot). From what I've heard, the concept is that if we're going to end up being quarantined, there are some things we definitely don't want to run out of! And it's not like TP will go to waste; it doesn't go bad so it'll be used eventually. And it makes people feel like they're doing something.

And also, bottled water and TP are like the main things Costco sells. I like to watch people in the parking lot and almost everyone has one or the other, under normal circumstances. So I suppose it seems like a small gesture to toss one more case in the cart.
It's flu, just like most other cases of flu.
I think it would be more accurate to call it a cold. It's not an influenza virus. But 1/4 of all "colds" are caused by a coronavirus. This just happens to be a strain that leads to pneumonia more often than usual.

This strain will end up being part of the usual seasonal respiratory viruses. I do see value in trying to keep everyone from getting it at once (that puts too much stress on the health care system) but eventually everybody is going to be exposed anyway.