Corneal dystrophy

Meldawn1111

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yesterday I noticed my cat had a cloudy spot on her eye. I was able to get her to the vet today and they told me it was a fat deposit and nothing to worry about, that one may eventually appear on the other eye and to call them if it does. I got home and started researching as I always do. I was more worried when I took her in about an injury or cataracts so a fat deposit didn’t seem so bad. But upon looking it up it seems like it may cause blindness in both eyes. That there’s no real treatment short of surgery and the kind she has is the kind that isn’t the painful one thank goodness. So why would I ever want to put her through surgery. I have a cat who had one eye removed and that was hard. But long and slow degeneration with no cure seems so sad. I’m glad that she most likely won’t have pain but sad there’s nothing I can do. She’s only 7. I suppose the vet didn’t go into all of this just yet because they were really busy and since it’s so early in the disease and there’s no cure why stress me out, but I’m a little bummed. Does anyone have any experience with this condition? How long is the process? Is there any kind of training exercises that can help with keeping the vision strong for longer? Obviously I’ll ask the vet all of this at her annual visit in the fall too but wondering about the community experience too.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I checked, as you probably already did, and couldn't find any threads about corneal dystrophy., EXCEPT a discussion about a human with the condition. Guess that doesn't count. From what your Vet said, that one may eventually appear in the other eye, I would not worry too much at this point. Hopefully that will never happen. However, I do think it's a good idea to get her to an animal opthamalogist, as LTS3 LTS3 suggested. Certainly couldn't hurt.