Cooking for One

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I know that there are a lot of us who live alone, or with just one other person, so I thought it might be nice to trade recipes and tech tips for cooking for one.  I have a bunch, but I'll start off with this one:

Buy 5 pounds of ground beef, put it in a ziplock freezer bag (one gallon size), seal it and flatten it out.  take the back of a knife handle and score it into 5 even sections and freeze flat.  You can break off 1 pound at a time to thaw for recipes, and it takes up FAR less space in your freezer!  It is also far more cost-effective than buying one pound at a time!

OH...a tip for freezing in general...Buy the largest package of, oh, say, boneless, skinless chicken breasts or pork chops that you can manage when they are on sale.  Bring them home and wrap individually.  Wrap tightly in TWO layers of cling wrap, then in TWO layers of aluminum foil.  Label with product and date using a sharpie.  Meat will keep up to a year and be good wrapped like this.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I've always made different types of pasta casseroles and after serving the first day for dinner I cut large pieces and refrigerate or freeze the leftovers.  I wrap in tin foil and can reheat anytime I want plus they come in handy to take to work for lunch.  (I also keep some extra pasta sauce handy in case I want to drizzle it over the leftovers when I reheat them.)

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i really like your tip about freezing the bulk ground beef!

i'll add a tip:  buy the big, in my local wegmans this is 80 oz, bag of mild cheddar cheese and mozzarella cheese shreds. i read somewhere that the sharp/extra sharp cheddar cheese doesn't freeze as well as the mild...
   then portion the cheeses into snack sized zipper bags and freeze them. the cost is usually lower to buy in the large quantity, and you just thaw what you need when you need it in the fridge overnight before using.

let's see......this year, i'm working on preparing for the hot summer months, as far as using the oven goes. i'm expecting a hot summer here, and don't want to use the range oven, only the toaster oven this summer. i'm baking two pans at a time in my oven, then freezing one pan in portions, which will be used during the hot weather months (just thaw, and microwave to heat up) -- meals like lasagna, stuffed peppers, and making a batch or two of (baked) meatballs, roasting two whole chickens (in the same oven, same time) -- which i'll remove the chicken from the bones and freeze in portions (will use to make chicken salad and such); and desserts like brownies and blondies. i'm also in the process of freezing various kinds of cookie dough in balls, and slice-and-bake cookies rolled into logs -- will use the toaster oven to bake those on the (cooler) evenings during the summer, only one oven-ful at a time/per evening. pizza will also be baked in the toaster oven -- it's a large sized toaster oven.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This thread is a great idea!

My tip is to prepare meals ahead. I used to have a family of four, so many of my recipes are for four servings. So make one of these recipes and a vegetable or two. Then eat one meal and divide the rest into three frozen dinner trays. Label a gallon-size Ziploc bag, slide the dinners in, and put in the freezer. When you're ready to eat, remove from the bag, and microwave for four minutes. Voila! Your own frozen dinners. Make this twice a week to keep the dinners circulating for variety.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Broiled Loin Lamb Chops for one.

6 Loin Lamb Chops 1½" to 2" thick.

Open package, placing lamb chops on a large serving plate.

Remove Snowshoe from countertop and place on floor.

Salt and pepper one chop.

Open broiler door, spread foil on the broiler pan and arrange the lamb chops in two rows.  set broiler to 350º.  Broil one side 11 to 12 minutes; turn chops and repeat.

Transfer chops to large serving plate and place on counter.

Remove Snowshoe from countertop and place on floor.

Repeat.

Using a sharp paring knife, remove the meat from five lamb chops, intermittently removing Snowshoe from countertop and placing on floor.

Chop the lamb into small chunks and distribute to ten bowls.

Cover remaining lamb chop with pot lid.

Place bowls on tray, call out, "here kittykittykitties," unnecessarily, as all cats will be immediately in front of you.

Move carefully across kitchen so as not to step on cats.

Place bowls on cat-shaped placemats in dining room.

When sound of pot lid hitting floor registers, run to kitchen.

Chase Snowshoe around table, through hallway, and half way upstairs.

Order pizza.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I have a neat cookbook by Gale Gand, called Just A Bite. Recipes for smaller quantities of baked goods. It's interesting and I do use it from time to time. (Most of the time, when I bake, I bake a full amount and then share with either the guys at work or with my sister and BIL). I also have a couple cookbooks, specifically for cooking for one or two people. There's a full assortment of ideas, from appetizers to breads, to main dishes, and sides. Interesting books. I freeze cookies, muffins, cupcakes (frosted and unfrosted). I freeze dough balls for pizza, calzones, stromboli, etc.

I think my tip would be to bake meat loaves, tuna loaf, etc. in large cupcake pans. You can freeze the pan with the meat loaves, just long enough to set, then pop the loaves out of the pan and put into freezer bags. Label and freeze. 

What would we do without the freezers? We have two freezers, so we don't lack freezer space. I am constantly making pasta sauces and such and then freezing them in portions, just big enough for Rick and me. It saves me time in the long run. And it saves me money, too, because I can buy on sale, make the sauce (or soup or stew) and then freeze in portions for later on. We have all kinds of freezer containers from little one-cup containers, all the way up to some Lock 'n Lock containers that are huge. One of our cupboards in the kitchen is stocked with nothing but freezer containers of all shapes and sizes. (You will also need good sticky freezer labels!! And a good freezer marker!)

I know we talked about this before, but you can freeze buttermilk. I freeze it in one-cup portions, since that's what's usually called for in recipes. So go ahead and buy buttermilk if you need it. Just freeze the leftovers. Or buy buttermilk powder; that way, you only make what you need. The downside of buttermilk powder is that it clumps. Badly. I just put the clumps through my coffee grinder to pulverize them, but you need to know that it will clump. (I keep a small coffee grinder on hand to make my own spice rubs and mixtures. It's not for coffee.)

You can cook a batch of brown rice and freeze it in portions. Same with barley. I love barley. I love lentils, too. Yum.

One thing that I do often when I'm trying a recipe is that I'll divide the recipe in half or in quarters. I'll write the new measurements in the cookbook and note that I've cut it back by half or by a quarter. Check cooking times because sometimes it's not the same as it would be for a full recipe. If there's a recipe that I really want to try for dinner, but it feeds ten people, well that's just ridiculous, esp if it's something that you might not want to freeze. Scale it back. It's not that hard (and it helps with your math skills! 
 )

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
@Winchester   YOU STOLE MY TIP!  I make up muffing meat loaves, as well.

When I'm being lazy and want lasagna, I buy the Stouffer's party sized lasagna.  For some reason, the larger ones just taste much better than the smaller ones.  It freezes very well!  That and a box of frozen garlic Texas Toast gives me 8-12 meals!  And that's if I'm not having anything else, such as a salad.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sorry. *sniff, sniff* It's just something that we've done since Graham (son) moved out of the house. When he lived at home, I could make a huge meatloaf and he'd scarf it up. Whatever was left over, he'd make into a sandwich for his lunch at school. When he moved out on his own, I had to learn how to cook for two people and I was used to cooking for a small army.....he ate a lot. And I don't mean that in a bad way. Honest. 

So I started figuring out how to make things for just Rick and me. Actually, I have a Pyrex set (back from when we got married in 1971) that has two little casserole dishes, perfect for single servings. And I've figured out how to make just enough meat loaf, tuna loaf, etc. to fill those two little casserole dishes. It's perfect! But I can use my jumbo muffin pan for meat loaves, too.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I'm sorry. *sniff, sniff* It's just something that we've done since Graham (son) moved out of the house. When he lived at home, I could make a huge meatloaf and he'd scarf it up. Whatever was left over, he'd make into a sandwich for his lunch at school. When he moved out on his own, I had to learn how to cook for two people and I was used to cooking for a small army.....he ate a lot. And I don't mean that in a bad way. Honest. 

So I started figuring out how to make things for just Rick and me. Actually, I have a Pyrex set (back from when we got married in 1971) that has two little casserole dishes, perfect for single servings. And I've figured out how to make just enough meat loaf, tuna loaf, etc. to fill those two little casserole dishes. It's perfect! But I can use my jumbo muffin pan for meat loaves, too.
I've made meatloaf just for the sandwiches. 

I have the big muffin tins too. Those are great for meatloaf. I don't make stuff like that much anymore. DD is so picky. There is so many things she does not like. 

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

The tips here are useful: http://www.thekitchn.com/10-of-our-best-tips-for-meal-planning-for-one-242427

A recipe with a suggested 4-6 seving size can be dinner for the entire week for me.  Sometimes I'll just make a batch or something and put it right into the freezer.
I just bookmarked that site.  I'll be going back to it fairly often to refresh my memory.

Here's somthing quick and easy:

Super Simple Biscuits

2 C flour

2/3 C water

6 Tbsp vegetable oil

Mix well, turn out on lightly floured board and knead several times.  Pat out and cut.  Bake in preheated oven at 450 for 10-12 minutes, or until tops are golden brown.

I like this because the recipe is so easy to cut in half, OR to double!  Now, I also use this to make an easy stromboli, but you need to knead about 30 times, then roll  it out very thin.  Fill with sauce, meats, cheese, what have you, fold over, and bake for 17-20 minutes.  You need the extra baking time because of the wet ingredients.  You can also brush this with melted butter,  sprinkle with brown sugar and cinnamon, fold over and bake for 12-15 minutes to allow the sugar to melt.  Slice it into strips and munch.  It will keep, covered in cling wrap, for three days, so you have a sweet snack on hand for several days.  

Not precisely for JUST one, but very usable! 

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That makes a 12-15 biscuits. Here's the White Lily Flour recipe from years ago, cut in half.

1 cup flour

1 1/2 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp salt

3 tablespoons Crisco

1/3 cup milk

Mix the dry ingredients, and cut in the Crisco as for pie crust. Gently stir in the milk until it holds together. Turn out on a floured board and knead 5-7 times. DO NOT over knead. Roll out to 1/2 inch thick and cut with a biscuit cutter, and place close together on a baking sheet. Bake at 425 degrees for 10-12 minutes. Makes about 6 biscuits.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Here's quick one for you, and when you live alone, quick is WONDERFUL!  I keep a case of ramen noodles in my pantry.  When I want a really quick supper, I cook the noodles, DO NOT ADD THE FLAVOR PACKET, strain, dump on a plate and add tomato sauce or pesto.  Italian supper in 5 minutes flat.  And that includes popping a slice of bread in the toaster and spreading it with garlic butter (I always take a bit of butter and add herbs, garlic, etc to it to keep on hand!).

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here's quick one for you, and when you live alone, quick is WONDERFUL!  I keep a case of ramen noodles in my pantry.  When I want a really quick supper, I cook the noodles, DO NOT ADD THE FLAVOR PACKET, strain, dump on a plate and add tomato sauce or pesto.  Italian supper in 5 minutes flat.  And that includes popping a slice of bread in the toaster and spreading it with garlic butter (I always take a bit of butter and add herbs, garlic, etc to it to keep on hand!).
You add the tomato sauce cold?

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You add the tomato sauce cold?
You actually can.  If you stir the sauce into the noodles, the heat from the noodles is enough to heat the sauce.  If not, a small bowl in the microwave for 30 seconds on high will do it!  One of my go-to meals when I'm icky and have NO energy at all!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

You actually can.  If you stir the sauce into the noodles, the heat from the noodles is enough to heat the sauce.  If not, a small bowl in the microwave for 30 seconds on high will do it!  One of my go-to meals when I'm icky and have NO energy at all!
I make ramen the "Kylie Jenner" way. I get rid of the water, add butter, garlic powder and a scrambled egg. I do use a little of the seasoning packet but that's optional. It's really good. The egg is raw when you add it. The heat from the noodles cooks it. 

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@Kat0121  - That sounds so good! Ramen noodles are a staple in my kitchen, so quick, easy, and filling. I'll have to try that with the egg and garlic powder.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

@Kat0121  - That sounds so good! Ramen noodles are a staple in my kitchen, so quick, easy, and filling. I'll have to try that with the egg and garlic powder.
It is good. I saw it on a Buzzfeed video on Youtube. They all loved it so I tried it. It's simple and yummy!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

I make ramen the "Kylie Jenner" way. I get rid of the water, add butter, garlic powder and a scrambled egg. I do use a little of the seasoning packet but that's optional. It's really good. The egg is raw when you add it. The heat from the noodles cooks it. 
I'm going to give that a try, as well!  It sounds wonderful, almost like a cross between lo mein and fried rice, both of which I LOVE!  I'll bet you could also add a quarter of a cup of thawed and drained mixed veggies and make a full meal of it!

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I've made meatloaf just for the sandwiches.  

I have the big muffin tins too. Those are great for meatloaf. I don't make stuff like that much anymore. DD is so picky. There is so many things she does not like. 
me too!!! i like meatloaf hot, but i absolutely love cold meatloaf sandwiches!

another tip:  it can be hard to use up a 3 lb bag of onions, just cooking for one or two people. when i buy onions, i buy the 3 lb bag, dice all the onions up, then portion them into snack size zipper bags, and freeze them. when i need onions, i just pull out what i need. no need to thaw them, just pop them in the pan or into the slow cooker, etc. if you need them thawed, put the frozen onions in a microwave dish with lid and nuke them until thawed/softened. you can also 'break in half' the solid chunk of frozen diced onions in the zipper bag relatively easily.

related tip (not mine, but thanks to the tv show Castle for this one):  if you're sensitive to raw onions, like i am -- eyes watering like niagara falls, sinuses running, and even sometimes nausea (from the smell of them)......wear swimming goggles to chop onions. it works, i swear!