Conversion as I'm Terrible at Math

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
On the Freshpet Select rolls, I foolishly threw away the package. I'm fortunate that Cooper and Shadow hate Freshpet but Shaman loves it. Hence feeding solution. Anyway since I'm terrible at math and these conversion websites are useless to me how to I convert 1/4 lb to Tablespoons or cups. Again I threw away the package and not about to go outside in freezing weather to dig through the garbage can haha

I don't want to over or under feed Shaman.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
It says to cut along the lines of the package which is sadly in the garbage can. I put the remaining roll into 4.5 oz freshpet containers

Hence the question. :)

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Clearly I should never answer “thinking” questions before 6 a.m.! I saw the chart at the bottom showing how much to feed by weight but didn’t read your question carefully enough. Sorry!

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Converting mass into volume can be tricky because you're dealing with two different things BUT, I often use butter to figure things out.
In one pound of butter there are 2 cups or 4 (1/2 cup) sticks. And a 1/2 cup of butter (1/4 pound) is approx 8 tablespoons.
So IF the cat food and butter weight about the same for equal volume. You would need a 1/2 cup or 8 tablespoons of cat food to equal a 1/4 pound.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Clearly I should never answer “thinking” questions before 6 a.m.! I saw the chart at the bottom showing how much to feed by weight but didn’t read your question carefully enough. Sorry!
That's ok. I was just wondering how to do this. Next time I get one of these I'll be sure to cut by servings first following the lines and then discard package. I was just trying to get food to Shaman before Cooper returned and chased her off.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Converting mass into volume can be tricky because you're dealing with two different things BUT, I often use butter to figure things out.
In one pound of butter there are 2 cups or 4 (1/2 cup) sticks. And a 1/2 cup of butter (1/4 pound) is approx 8 tablespoons.
So IF the cat food and butter weight about the same for equal volume. You would need a 1/2 cup or 8 tablespoons of cat food to equal a 1/4 pound.
Thank you and a question:

Also since this has no fillers should I expect to see Shaman eat less then she does right now? Hoping for an answer soon on this as I'm clueless about the wet food/freshpet situation vs dry and since I never had this issue with Pepper and Harley. They just ate in peace although they despised each other and each went their own way.

I never really did these kind of conversions before so I appreciate all of the answers. Thanks again :)

Last edited:

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I never really did these kind of conversions before so I appreciate all of the answers.
Me either, which is why I use butter, but using butter as a guide only works for dense stuff. I figure pate style cat food is probably pretty close to the weight of butter.
If your leftovers are in a 4.5 oz container, and it's almost full. 4oz of butter is approximately 8 tablespoons. So you could just give Shaman the whole thing, if there is a bit too much, no big deal, as it's only one "over fed" meal and you don't have to worry about it anymore. :thumbsup:

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Me either, which is why I use butter, but using butter as a guide only works for dense stuff. I figure pate style cat food is probably pretty close to the weight of butter.
If your leftovers are in a 4.5 oz container, and it's almost full. 4oz of butter is approximately 8 tablespoons. So you could just give Shaman the whole thing, if there is a bit too much, no big deal, as it's only one "over fed" meal and you don't have to worry about it anymore. :thumbsup:
Thanks. Sorry for two more questions (editing) but will Shaman eat less food now with freshpet then when I was feeding her kibble or Friskies pate? Meaning is the 4.5 oz container the full day or just one meal. Ugh I never had this issue with Pepper and Harley like I do with these cats.

Also on instructions it says ok to sit out for up to 15 minutes before serving if cats don't like refrigerated. It sat out for 5 minutes, served and she ate half of her serving in 5 minutes. Is it ok then to put the rest in the container for next meal and stick in fridge? I don't have a lot of money but this seems to be only solution to the feeding tragedies around here.

Last edited:

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have no idea, sorry. I don't use those brands of cat food, so I'm not sure what the recommended daily serving of Freshpet is, especially compared to the others you've used.
You could go to the freshpet website to see if you can find the chart that tells you what the daily serving of food is based on your cats weight.
Freshpet Select Chicken & Beef Cat Food

If you scroll down, there is a section where you choose your cat's weight and it tells you how much to feed for the day.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I have no idea, sorry. I don't use those brands of cat food, so I'm not sure what the recommended daily serving of Freshpet is, especially compared to the others you've used.
You could go to the freshpet website to see if you can find the chart that tells you what the daily serving of food is based on your cats weight.
Freshpet Select Chicken & Beef Cat Food

If you scroll down, there is a section where you choose your cat's weight and it tells you how much to feed for the day.
Ok. So when I see those charts that's for a day and not a meal? Not just Freshpet but other brands? This is more complicated then it was 25 years ago when I was feeding Pepper and Harley

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Nevermind. I just read the bottom and it says per day. She's not overly active but she is outdoors/feral and so with winter may need a bit more then 1/4 lb. Maybe somewhere in between and adjust accordingly?

Also will I notice her not crying for food so much eating more wet food. I noticed she didn't seem overly hungry after eating 2.25 oz of it at breakfast like she usually does.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry, didn't realize you added another question.

As for putting half eaten leftovers in the fridge. I do sometimes, and never had a problem, but it's a different product.

And yes it's per day.....just saw you noticed it...so never mind. :thumbsup:

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok thanks. Hopefully someone with more Freshpet experience can tell me if half eaten leftovers are ok in the fridge as it did not go over the 15 minutes room temperature or hour for serving time.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I only use Alexa for music. I feel creepy talking to an inanimate object and after the reports on NBC Nightly News I use it less and less. Too many reports of people hacking in and stealing password. I don't see option for 2 factor authorization on these devices so usually I just set them outside to converse with the cats and use a very difficult password and change all the time. Most times I unplug the thing.

Last edited: