Contractions or braxton hicks???

Jessbubz1802

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi guys, I need some advise please. I have a heavily pregnant girl, I don’t know her Exact dates as I took her in already pregnant. I have had pregnant cats previously so I know what to look for etc. She’s dropped, her teats are full, and I’ve had the constant purring and meowing since Monday. All signs for the go! My worry is, she’s having what I though we’re contractions, her tummy goes all tense and tight from armpit level right down to between her back legs, and the sides, it’s almost like her whole tummy goes vac packed? I can feel all the kittens When it happens and her abdominal muscles tighten - this is difficult to explain :dunno: are these braxton hicks? They’ve been on and off since Monday, no real pattern but I can sit and rub her tummy and she’ll have them every 3-5 minutes, but they also stop when she gets up or falls into a deeper sleep. No plug, her vulva looks a little more visible and pink today, she is still eating normal. I’m just not sure what’s going on right now. Other cats I’ve experienced in labour it’s gone from 0-100 in less than 2 days.. thank you to anyone that responds quickly:sweat:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Every cat and every pregnancy can be different. It sounds like she is within a couple of days of full-on labor and delivery, and that she’s been having pre-labor contractions, and may be entering first stage. All sounds normal for now. Keep watching and keep us posted! 😊

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jessbubz1802

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Every cat and every pregnancy can be different. It sounds like she is within a couple of days of full-on labor and delivery, and that she’s been having pre-labor contractions, and may be entering first stage. All sounds normal for now. Keep watching and keep us posted! 😊
Thank you for responding, I have searched this site for braxton hicks and what the difference is to no avail!
So it’s it’s okay that this has been happening since Monday? I am just concerned Incase they are contractions and she should of progressed by now. They certainly feel like contractions, but they aren’t regular really or close enough. And it’s been well over the 36 hours that I’ve read here that’s ‘ normal ‘ for the first stage? I’m a worrier!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Since she hasn’t been “pushing” with no results, it seems to me her body is just preparing for the big event. Perhaps a vet check would help with your concerns?

Jessbubz1802

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Since she hasn’t been “pushing” with no results, it seems to me her body is just preparing for the big event. Perhaps a vet check would help with your concerns?
No she’s not even close in that way.. it’s definitely pre labour, I just wasn’t sure if this is ok to go on this long. They aren’t strong, this is why I was so unsure if they were braxton hicks, or if that’s even a thing.. I think i May be comparing in my mind in that of ya humans in labour.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hi guys, I need some advise please. I have a heavily pregnant girl, I don’t know her Exact dates as I took her in already pregnant. I have had pregnant cats previously so I know what to look for etc. She’s dropped, her teats are full, and I’ve had the constant purring and meowing since Monday. All signs for the go! My worry is, she’s having what I though we’re contractions, her tummy goes all tense and tight from armpit level right down to between her back legs, and the sides, it’s almost like her whole tummy goes vac packed? I can feel all the kittens When it happens and her abdominal muscles tighten - this is difficult to explain :dunno: are these braxton hicks? They’ve been on and off since Monday, no real pattern but I can sit and rub her tummy and she’ll have them every 3-5 minutes, but they also stop when she gets up or falls into a deeper sleep. No plug, her vulva looks a little more visible and pink today, she is still eating normal. I’m just not sure what’s going on right now. Other cats I’ve experienced in labour it’s gone from 0-100 in less than 2 days.. thank you to anyone that responds quickly:sweat:
WHEN had she dropped?

Do you have access to a good vet? If you could phone and have an on-phone advice would be good.

I hope its Braxton Hicks, but I fear it a long prelabor - this happens, but with cats they are usually rather shortish. (and the active push labor typically much shorter than with humans).

During the time, be sure she gets extra calcium rich food, whatever she takes. Goats milk, youhurt, cheese, kmr, or some calcium preparate...

Jessbubz1802

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
WHEN had she dropped?

Do you have access to a good vet? If you could phone and have an on-phone advice would be good.

I hope its Braxton Hicks, but I fear it a long prelabor - this happens, but with cats they are usually rather shortish. (and the active push labor typically much shorter than with humans).

During the time, be sure she gets extra calcium rich food, whatever she takes. Goats milk, youhurt, cheese, kmr, or some calcium preparate...
Hi, she’s had some crushed egg shell and some natural yogurt. I phoned the vet this morning and he said it all sounded normal :dunno: I noticed she had some slight discharge this morning, yellow/brown in colour, that’s the only change since my last comment.

Jessbubz1802

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh and the dropping, I think it’s been a gradual thing, since Monday/Tuesday, might be just the weight of them? But I can feel kicking at the sides but also underneath in the centre between nipples too so I assume that’s the kittens going down ready? She’s a teeny cat, so petite, she’s carrying more underneath now, so I guessed this was her dropping.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As long as she is relaxed somewhat, is not hiding, and not meowing in distress, everything sounds normal. She sounds like she is having pre-labor contractions. I really think if she was having problems she would be stressed and hiding.

Jessbubz1802

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As long as she is relaxed somewhat, is not hiding, and not meowing in distress, everything sounds normal. She sounds like she is having pre-labor contractions. I really think if she was having problems she would be stressed and hiding.
Yeh she’s totally chilled and happy ( as well as she can be anyway ) discharge wasn’t a lot, literally just enough to see if I’d of wiped with a tissue.. she may of cleaned it off prior though, she’s forever grooming atm.

Jessbubz1802

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So today, she has been really chirping and meowing. Her vulva is very visible too, she has some staining on there but not seen a plug yet. I’m hoping she has them tonight, she’s so big!
70B2B4B0-6F29-4010-BB45-6A1DF79A38CD.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jessbubz1802

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just love that black tail! She’s beautiful. She’s also getting really close! 😊
She’s a stunning cat!

She’s very veryyy clingy atm... still chirping at us and in and out of nest. Although she’s been like this on and off since Monday :doh: I hate this waiting:biggrin:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She’s a stunning cat!

She’s very veryyy clingy atm... still chirping at us and in and out of nest. Although she’s been like this on and off since Monday :doh: I hate this waiting:biggrin:
If she allows tummy rubbing, do so. they usually do in this phase. Its a nice massage, and possibly, helps gets things going.

Jessbubz1802

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi guys, so this morning, she’s having the similar sucking in and tensing ( vac pack belly ) but now her back is twitching with them, like if they have a flea on them almost? She lifts a back leg up and She moves when she gets one too, she can’t stay in the position she’s lying in - do these sound like the real ones?