Contagious Diseases? Freaking Out A Little!

goblinsmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My parents are fostering a stray mama cat and her five kittens, and I've been going over there to help (and love on the kittens.) Unfortunately it looks like someone dumped them, and I have not been able to find a rescue that can help with vet care.

All the kittens are fat, fluffy, and playful, eating wet food and drinking water. Mama cat looks to be in rough shape. No visible injuries, but her coat is dirty and dull and she is very skinny. She seems to have some sort of seizures (?) wherein she suddenly topples over and can't move well. When this happens, she is able to get back up in a few minutes, but she walks with her back hunched over for a while. This has happened twice in the last four days or so. When she's not being affected by it, she seems perfectly normal: eats voraciously, drinks water, uses the cat box (solid stools), and is sweet and asks for attention. She doesn't seem to ever be in pain (never cries, "loafs," etc). She has not vomited and seems to be putting on weight. Her and the kittens go through three to four cans of wet food a day.

With my Goblin at home, I've been careful to leave my shoes outside for bleaching, wash/sanitize my hands, and change my clothes after handling the kittens. However, I didn't realize that things such as panleuk were so resistant to sanitation and now I'm freaking out that I have subjected Goblin to something.

I looked up his vet records, and the last vaccination he had was rabies and FVRCP three years ago. I can't for the life of me remember if those are the only shots he's ever had, or if he had a kitten series. I'm going to call the vet that neutered him tomorrow and hope that they still have records from six years ago.

Does mama cat sound contagious? Would one set of vaccines three years ago likely still provide enough protection? Help!

Freedom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
How wonderful that your parents are fostering mom and her litter. And I bet having you go visit helps with socializing all of them.

I really do not have any ideas re the mom cat. Just hang in there, I'm sure someone will be along with some ideas for you.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Panleukopenia is highly resistant to disinfectants and bleach. What I was once told is that if one has a case of panleukopenia at home they have to throw all cat items away, wash the house thoroughly with bleach and wait at least 6 months before taking a new cat in.
Luckily not all cats are panleukpenia carriers and however the signs of this disease are fast enough to show up.
In my experience a cat with the virus of panleukopenia shows the first symptoms within 4-5 days. The disease grows rapidly into their body and the kitten dies in a few days.
So, if your parents have been fostering these kittens for a longer time now I would feel rather safe.
I would be more concerned about FeLV or FIP.

As for the vaccination, a very expert vet told me that if a cat has had regular vaccinations for at least 3-4 years, then their immune system is strong enough to withstand external attacks even if no boost has been done for a year or two.

Three years sounds a long time to me...