Constpation, Pumpkin, And Mineral Oil

Burts

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You said 1/4 cup pumpkin daily? wow thats like a heck of a lot, I bet that makes her a lot more constipated

Why not get Lactulose from the vet?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You said 1/4 cup pumpkin daily? wow thats like a heck of a lot

Why not get Laxtulose from the vet?
Yeah
Maybe that’s why she is not finishing all her food
I’ll stop the pumpkin for now
Start wet/dry mixing fortiflora and nuvet
Maybe some water

Attachments

Burts

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Pumpkin gives the feeling of being full and thats waay too much fiber causing a complete opposite effect..

I think your overdoing everything, I only give a teaspoon a day when Oliver was constipated

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Pumpkin gives the feeling of being full and thats waay too much fiber causing a complete opposite effect..

I think your overdoing everything, I only give a teaspoon a day when Oliver was constipated
Thank you!!

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oliver was recently constipated my persian boy...He was crying and limping in the rear legs, this was a week ago!

I had xray done and he went on Lactulose, im still giving him .5 ml a day with canned pumpkin a teaspoon..Too much pumpkin I read can make it worse so be careful of overdoing it

Im hoping the constipation was due to diet changes he was going through...I plan to stop the lactulose soon and use pumpkin and cross my fingers

I thought he was having a blood clot and was very upset
I changed what I am giving her. Dry food 1/2 a 2/3 measuring cup. Sprinkle Nuvet and Fortiflora from purina.. add a bit of water, swish.
She is still distended. She had a huge one last night. I'm stopping the mineral oil, I feel it burns her tummy when it comes out. No more pumpkin.

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She looks like my persian girl Allie!

Since kitten or as far as I can remember my Allie has a bowel movement every 3 days...Yes 3 days and she is not constipated but poops a boat load, shes 4 years old now and healthy as a Ox

I started feeding my 2 cats canned pumpkin 2 weeks ago, they eat it out of my finger!

I just ordered this

After blow outs and three baths, I am going to stop messing around with this laxative stuff!!!
I have been moping and throwing out litter boxes.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not quite sure what you think is distended, nunnc84 nunnc84 , but I'd really suggest bringing your cat to the vet to be sure everything's okay and get some advice on managing her diet to avoid more serious constipation in the future! Given all the digestive distress she's already been through, I'd also be careful not to switch her food too quickly -- some cats have trouble when their foods change quickly.

Good luck!

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm not quite sure what you think is distended, nunnc84 nunnc84 , but I'd really suggest bringing your cat to the vet to be sure everything's okay and get some advice on managing her diet to avoid more serious constipation in the future! Given all the digestive distress she's already been through, I'd also be careful not to switch her food too quickly -- some cats have trouble when their foods change quickly.

Good luck!
It's all good! She is having bowel movements. No need. She is putting on weight. She doesn't use the cat wheel as much as I thought she would. the Onefastcat.com cat wheel...
She gets dry food, pre and pro biotics with cat vitamins daily. Occasionally a little mineral oil. Thanks for your post!

orangie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sounds like you’ve got this under control for right now.
My 2cents (after just going through a very serious bout of constipation), is to get in as much wet food as you can with added water if they’ll still eat it. Our vet also said a 1/4 tsp of regular old drugstore Restoralax with each meal. And then 2 ml doses of lactulose when we are in “crisis” mode. (Btw otc lactulose for people is the same and cheaper). But when we came to a desperate point a couple weeks ago I followed the advice from another member here and gave him egg yolk. They suggest adding yolk in small doses but as our cat hadn’t really pooped in almost two weeks I said, forget it, and gave him a whole raw egg yolk with his wet food. The next morning - success!
Just some thoughts in case you end up worried again.
:)

Burts

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sounds like you’ve got this under control for right now.
My 2cents (after just going through a very serious bout of constipation), is to get in as much wet food as you can with added water if they’ll still eat it. Our vet also said a 1/4 tsp of regular old drugstore Restoralax with each meal. And then 2 ml doses of lactulose when we are in “crisis” mode. (Btw otc lactulose for people is the same and cheaper). But when we came to a desperate point a couple weeks ago I followed the advice from another member here and gave him egg yolk. They suggest adding yolk in small doses but as our cat hadn’t really pooped in almost two weeks I said, forget it, and gave him a whole raw egg yolk with his wet food. The next morning - success!
Just some thoughts in case you end up worried again.
:)
So egg yolk is recommended for constipation? I will keep him on lecithin, my boy just pooped lol...im happy..I cant believe I wait for him to poop, whats wrong with me jeezus!

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So egg yolk is recommended for constipation? I will keep him on lecithin, my boy just pooped lol...im happy..I cant believe I wait for him to poop, whats wrong with me jeezus!
I've had good luck with fortiflora from purina on top of dry food. When I run out of that, I can go to eggs. Thanks

Burts

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Fortiflora is expensive though. I have nutramax on hand for diarrhea issues or diet change but id go broke using that everyday

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Fortiflora is expensive though. I have nutramax on hand for diarrhea issues or diet change but id go broke using that everyday
I totally agree! It is too expensive! I'll look up nutramax. Other members suggest egg white?!??

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm finding nutramax, I don't know which one I am searching for. Cat you tell me?

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I totally agree! It is too expensive! I'll look up nutramax. Other members suggest egg white?!??
No, it's actually egg yolk! We use small amounts of both egg yolk and pumpkin. Although that isn't a cure-all for our cat who tends to get problems, it's just enough to keep her from having chronic issues.

Burts

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My boy has constipation again, I dont think i cleaned him out good the 1st time and hes a kibble eater...

I purchased Iams(orange bag)hairball control, it has 8.5% fiber....Im going to start him on this once I know hes properly hydrated again...

Hes back on lactolose