Constipation Issues

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
FWIW, Miralax has been prescribed for my cat, by 2 different Vets.

I am currently using 1/4 tsp twice a day.

You have to mix the miralax with water...this is very important for it to work properly. It states that on the directions.

You can use it long term, for chronic constipation. I use it myself. It was prescribed to me by a gastroenterologist. 

I mix it with water and add it to his food. 

The point is to adjust the dose accordingly. You do not want to begin with a large dose. It takes a couple of days to work. Do not keep adding more or stopping suddenly without contacting your Vet.  Of course, if there is now diarrhea, then cut back on the dose a bit. 

Wet food is better. Also add a bit of water to it. You cat needs that added water to soften his stools. 

gradys mommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your comments. They are helpful. But a quarter of a teaspoon is twice the dosage of my cat's prescribed one-eighth of a teaspoon daily, just for the record;therefore I'm guessing your kitties are larger than my Grady, whose weight varies between 9.8 - 10 lbs.

My cats have been prescribed the Miirlax also. They were maybe not as constipated as your cat, but my vet suggested a much smaller dose at just 1/4 tsp. ;

Last edited:

mrsty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No, my cats are 8-9 lbs also. I thought I was responding to a thread where someone said they were giving their cat a full teaspoon of Mirilax which seems to be way too much and no wonder it would cause diarrheal. Considering my cats rarely eat all their food, to make sure they are getting enough, maybe that's why my vet suggested 1/4 tsp. Obviously everyone should follow their vets advice and call and ask about anything else they read on this site.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
The Vet wanted me to start the dose at 1/8 tsp twice a day. My guy has constipation issues. That dosage was not helpful. She then said to increase it to 1/4 tsp twice a day. That and another medicine helps. 

The usual starting dose is 1/8 tsp daily; mixed in water, added to food. 

My guy weighs 10.6 lbs

Last edited:

satchmo4

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 19 pound Felix was constipated on and off for a long time.  Last week I needed to take him to the vet as he didn't go for a few days.  X-ray showed how bad it had become and he needed an enema.  My vet put him on Royal Canin Gastrointestinal Gastro-Intestinale as his only food to see if it would get him regular before we tried meds.  I cheat a little and give him a bit of his wet food but mostly the RC dry food.  So far it has worked 100% and my guy is a happy regular guy!   I did try mirilax which didn't seem to work for him.  I do have 3 other cats and none of them have ever had this problem. 

ocs mommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
OC is about 12 lbs and has successfully used Miralax two times a day mixed in his wet food. He gets 1/4 tsp. As he gains a little weight, I add slightly more, but unless your boy is a very bog boy, 1/2 tsp seems like a lot.

wt1964

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
After many, many months of dealing with the issue of constipation with my 19 year old Lucy, and many attempts to stave it, I think we may have finally hit on a combo that works for her.   At around 6am she gets a bit of Cat-Lax, around 2:30 pm she gets 1/8 of a teaspoon of Mira-lax diluted with her lunch, and then at about 7pm she gets 1/2 tablespoon of raw goat's milk, followed by her nightly SQ treatments.  I've tried various doses and combinations, and even tried adding coconut oil, with varying degrees of success.  For some time she was averaging a BM about once every 48 hours, and then, often times with quite a bit of strain.  But now, after about  a week and a half on the goat's milk, I have been astonished and very, very pleased at how regular she has become, and with far less strain!  I am really hoping we can maintain these results...  

katscradle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If you are feeding him dry food switch him to  wet food  also try whiskas temptations  for hairballs,

give the treats first follow the directions on the bag then give the wet food, watch closely 

you  will have many messes to clean up,

Our cat  was so badly constipated she threw up and had diarrhea after she was given the treats, but

it worked and since switching to 9 lives canned she hasn't had any more constipation  or bloating

issues.

young again

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have had great success with psyllium husk. I prefer the pure form vs. the Metamucil brand since the Metamucil contains sugar or sweeteners. It is difficult to use too much, but I generally start off with 1/4-1/2 teaspoon twice a day and increase it from there. It is important to mix the psyllium with water until you get a syrup consistency and then mix it into the wet food thoroughly. I mix the psyllium and the water on the plate and when the consistency is right I add the wet food.