Constipation in nursing kittens?

ashleys1215

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have three neonatal kittens (1.5-2 weeks) that were found abandoned. Kittens were bottlefed the first night and day but I was able to unite them with a queen who was trapped in that area a couple of days earlier who is either their mother or currently pregnant and she’s been exclusively nursing two of the three for the past four days. The third is slower to gain weight and has been getting supplemental KMR feeds.

The two who are nursing are gaining weight very well and have full, round bellies. I’m a bit worried because I haven’t observed them poop. I know that the mother will stimulate them to poop and may be consuming it. But I’m also concerned that they may be constipated. Both are active and nurse vigorously. They cry when I try to massage their belly, but I don’t feel palpable lumps like stool. If I stimulate them, they pee, but haven’t pooped for me. Are there signs of constipation in nursing kittens that I should watch for?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I’ve never heard of constipation in nursing kittens. I never saw my kittens poop while they nursed, but I know their mom stimulated them and licked them to clean up. They also had big bellies. It sounds like your kittens are healthy! I wouldn’t worry unless they appear in distress. I hope the third one continues to do well for you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ashleys1215

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you. I lost the runt of the litter a couple of days after they were found (the vet said she was accumulating fluid in her abdomen, so thought it might be poor heart function or some kind of illness) so I’ve been very worried about this litter!