Constipation. How Much Time Until Lactulose Works?

Nou123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Dear all,

My 18.5 year old cat started straining when pooing about a week ago. We then noticed that more than a day would pass between bowel movements. She usually poos a good amount every morning with no difficulties.

We called the vet who told us to give her liquid paraffine, this helped a bit in that she pooed a bit, but we noticed some hard lumps in between. She then started pooing irregularly again, around once per 2days. We then went to see the vet who prescribed us lactulose, this was on monday (she also had a bowel movement that day before seeing the vet). We gave her 1ml of lactulose and she pooed the next morning. Then again 2 days went by until yesterday morning. I noticed that she really strained, like I have never seen before, she then gave up, sat somewhere and then when she was about to walk back to her litterbox I noticed a hard little elongated lump on the floor. She then had a bowel movement, I monitored her while she was pooing (while hiding around the corner) and this time it seemed to come out with no major problems, again with some hard lumps. After pooing she then vomited, probably because of the previous straining?

More than 24 hours have passed again now, and she hasnt had a bowel movement, should I be worried? She seems normal, eats and drinks, and plays. However, it also seems like she seems more tired, kinda depressed? I dont know maybe im just biased because I know she has constipation.

This was a very long post, my question is basically, should I be worried? should she not have passed more poo since yesterday and how long does it take for lactulose to work? I am starting to consider to take her to the emergency vet for some xrays.
(Should be noted she was diagnosed with CKD last year)

Quick summary: cat constipated since a week ago, tried paraffine and now on lactulose, seems to pass stool on average every 2 days (beforehand it was every morning). Caught her straining yesterday, and vomited. Should I be worried? How long for lactulose to work properly?

Thank you very much for any answer...

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Watch her very carefully for right now. Should the vomiting continue, or if she doesn't poo today or in the morning, I'd consider an emergency clinic. Basically, you don't want her to vomit repeatedly or go three days without pooing. She's older, and you do NOT want to risk a bowel rupture. If she does poo, then take her back to the vet on Monday and insist on x-rays to make sure there is no MAJOR blockage, or foreign body in the intestines. Cats will eat the oddest things, and it sometimes presents very like this.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nou123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Watch her very carefully for right now. Should the vomiting continue, or if she doesn't poo today or in the morning, I'd consider an emergency clinic. Basically, you don't want her to vomit repeatedly or go three days without pooing. She's older, and you do NOT want to risk a bowel rupture. If she does poo, then take her back to the vet on Monday and insist on x-rays to make sure there is no MAJOR blockage, or foreign body in the intestines. Cats will eat the oddest things, and it sometimes presents very like this.
Thank you for your answer. First thing this morning I will take her to the emergency clinic if she hasn't pooed any, then 48 hours will have passed.

Nou123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Any updates ?
Hello, yes, a couple of hours passed (4hrs) since I wrote the message last time and she had a bowel movement. She didn't have any problems defecating/didnt' strain.

She also had a bowel movement a half an hour ago without straining. The poo is brown and not hard, and comes out in one piece. It seems like a little over 1day and a half passes between bowel movements. She's still on lactulose and I also gave her a bit of cat malt. I try to keep her hydrated with plenty of bowls of fresh water spread around and only wet food.

Regards

Nou123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Although it seems like her pooing schedule is normalising (at least once a day) I will definitely take her to the vet for some X-rays to make sure everything is ok.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have a feeling that she's well on the road to being herself again, but if you can afford it, a re-check just to make sure is never a bad thing! SO HAPPY that she is doing better!

Nou123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So we had some x-rays done today. There's still some hard nuggets in between . However the vet realised there was a lump in the stomach that wasn't supposed to be there, the x-ray showed a lump of about 3cm in diameter. This lump is not the cause of the constipation. We have scheduled an ultrasound for next week. I'm heartbroken and fearing the worst.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
OH NO! Sending lots of :vibes::vibes::vibes:that is will not be something horrible. We are here. Let us know.

Nou123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
OH NO! Sending lots of :vibes::vibes::vibes:that is will not be something horrible. We are here. Let us know.
Thank you! The vet didn't sound very optimistic, she started talking about her having 6 months left etc., it was very very tough to hear and took a lot to hold any tears forming back. We will see what the ultrasound shows on Monday. Hoping for the best.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I know that, whatever the final opinion, you will cherish and treasure every moment you have. And remember, no matter what, you will no go on that journey alone. We will be here with you.