Constipated On Raw

4cats1parrot

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi it’s been a while since i’ve been here having trouble navigating without a search bar, I could not find any other constipation thread so i’ll start one.
My Pickles is eating raw finally for about 6 mos maybe more she is 18. She has hard skinny poops and they hurt she vocalizes. I have been giving slyppery elm, laxatone in the tube which is petroleum gelly and mineral oil. I have just been to a vet who is doing her teeth soon but I did not tell him what shes eating, i do have a holistic vet but they take forever getting to the problem. Theres no point in talking raw to this vet he and most are against it, i go to him because i can get idex labs and other tests quite a bit cheaper than my holistic vet who only does in house labs. I have had a cat with kidney failure before and know you need low phosphorus food. Pickles recent labs in his opinion are she is not in kidney failure yet but at the beginning her bun is high normal. He did a radio graph i think its called(i have not picked up my copies of tests yet) the graph did not indicate mega colon but he still thinks shes in the beginning stages because of her symptoms There were hard poops in her colon, though he doesnt know what she eats.
Im wondering is this constipation because of what im feeding her? This is getting chronic and no temporary paste or solution is gonna help long term. Ez complete uses egg shell powder so theres no bone in her meat honestly dont think her old mouth could handle bone, i just got her eating raw afraid to rock the boat.
Problem is she doesnt like raw beef or chicken so far all i can get her to eat is raw turkey and pork, pork is mainly what she gets (her coat is nicest its ever been) with a small portion of turkey. Do you think it could be that she simply needs more fat? Egg yolk? Organs? Btw i do freeze it for a week before she gets it. I wonder if her gi tract is inflamed she has shown signs of inflammation, arthritis is worse when i touch her near the back it hurts unless thats related to her constipation, her lips have been slightly swoolen but the holistic vet never seems to get any answers fast, she eats out of stainless and glass only. They give me tinctures in an alchohol base that dont seem to help so i stopped. I dont like using mirilax because of whats in it but may have to. Any suggestions appreciated thank you

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

4cats1parrot

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi it’s been a while since i’ve been here having trouble navigating without a search bar, I could not find any other constipation thread so i’ll start one.
My Pickles is eating raw finally for about 6 mos maybe more she is 18. She has hard skinny poops and they hurt she vocalizes. I have been giving slyppery elm, laxatone in the tube which is petroleum gelly and mineral oil. I have just been to a vet who is doing her teeth soon but I did not tell him what shes eating, i do have a holistic vet but they take forever getting to the problem. Theres no point in talking raw to this vet he and most are against it, i go to him because i can get idex labs and other tests quite a bit cheaper than my holistic vet who only does in house labs. I have had a cat with kidney failure before and know you need low phosphorus food. Pickles recent labs in his opinion are she is not in kidney failure yet but at the beginning her bun is high normal. He did a radio graph i think its called(i have not picked up my copies of tests yet) the graph did not indicate mega colon but he still thinks shes in the beginning stages because of her symptoms There were hard poops in her colon, though he doesnt know what she eats.
Im wondering is this constipation because of what im feeding her? This is getting chronic and no temporary paste or solution is gonna help long term. Ez complete uses egg shell powder so theres no bone in her meat honestly dont think her old mouth could handle bone, i just got her eating raw afraid to rock the boat.
Problem is she doesnt like raw beef or chicken so far all i can get her to eat is raw turkey and pork, pork is mainly what she gets (her coat is nicest its ever been) with a small portion of turkey. Do you think it could be that she simply needs more fat? Egg yolk? Organs? Btw i do freeze it for a week before she gets it. I wonder if her gi tract is inflamed she has shown signs of inflammation, arthritis is worse when i touch her near the back it hurts unless thats related to her constipation, her lips have been slightly swoolen but the holistic vet never seems to get any answers fast, she eats out of stainless and glass only. They give me tinctures in an alchohol base that dont seem to help so i stopped. I dont like using mirilax because of whats in it but may have to. Any suggestions appreciated thank you
Sorry forgot to say she eats foodfurlifes easy complete premix

Pucks104

My boys!
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Can you add more water to her meals? I feed raw to George and Louie and in the am I add Answers goats milk and Open Farm kefir while at night I add extra water to ensure they get enough liquid to stay hydrated. They also gave a cat fountain but only drink from it occasionally.

4cats1parrot

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Can you add more water to her meals? I feed raw to George and Louie and in the am I add Answers goats milk and Open Farm kefir while at night I add extra water to ensure they get enough liquid to stay hydrated. They also gave a cat fountain but only drink from it occasionally.
Yes more water is good Its raw so its already got lots of liquid but im making it almost soupy now and i have the glacier point pet fountain she drinks lots of water but still constipated

Pucks104

My boys!
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I wonder if there is a way to add some fiber. Maybe someone else will have some suggestions. I hope you find a way to help her be more comfortable.

4cats1parrot

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wonder if there is a way to add some fiber. Maybe someone else will have some suggestions. I hope you find a way to help her be more comfortable.
This is not temporary constipation, i believe there is sonething i maybe need to add to the food so I can correct it if im causing it, im already giving slyppery elm bark too and its not helping, i hope it isnt her bowels but thanks

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Given the diet, it does sound like this might be a motility issue -- cats do lose motility as they age. Food Fur Life does sell egg yolk powder, which is supposed to help with motility. I'm not sure if it does but our cats definitely love it on their food! (Including their EZ Complete meals.)

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tommy has intermittent constipation problems on raw, and the bone content is less than ten percent, so we add 1/8-1/4 teaspoon Miralax in his morning meal.
Weruva also has plain pumpkin in water, in 1 oz packages on Chewy, and I have it but haven't tried it. He needed an enema 2 months ago, so I skipped over it in favor of the powder.

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she does in fact have megacolon adding additional fiber is not the way to go, from my understanding.