constant scratching and scratches plus change in behavior

catsandmusic70

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, everyone.

Since this past weekend, I've been concerned because my cat, Henry, has 4 scratches (2 on the sides of his ears and 2 on his cheeks) and I don't know why. I've inspected him for signs of ear mites and don't see any. I'm using the ointment Zymox LP3 on his scratches and also using Petkin Pet Wipes and both of those seem to help him some, in terms of the scratches healing. I've also been giving him very small amounts of coconut oil. A friend told me I should also be giving him powdered greens in his food, but I'm not sure about this and I have not done that yet.

He usually seems to like being near me when I'm at home, even after four weeks of being in 24/7, but he has stopped sleeping on my bed at night and today has been distant with me, even though he is a very affectionate and cuddly cat. His change in behavior, combined with his scratches, is very worrisome. I've contacted Henry's vet, in hopes of an appointment this week, but in the meantime I cannot stop worrying, which is not good, because I think my cat is intuitive and could "catch" my anxiety. If anyone has ideas or thoughts, I would be very much appreciative.

Thank you!

Angie

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here is a TCS article that may be helpful:

And one about coconut oil in food:

You can discuss the possibility of a food allergy or environmental allergy with the vet.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It does sound like allergies, which can develop even in adult cats who have not had them before. This is a discussion for your vet. I know, seeing a vet right now can be problematic, but what you are describing is, at least, not life-threatening! Another thought...is it at ALL possible that a flea has snuck in? It's getting to be that time of year, and if he isn't on a flea medication, that could do it. And a lot of itching can make their personalities alter.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catsandmusic70

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much; both of these articles are very helpful!

catsandmusic70

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much, Mamanyt153! It is entirely possible that I'm missing seeing any fleas or ear mites, which is another reason I would like to see if my vet can give Henry an appointment. Her office currently has strong social practicing methods in place so I am hopeful that I can get Henry there. Last year, when Henry had a similar problem, the vet suggested a change in his diet since she felt strongly it was food allergies. I made changes in what he eats and these changes seemed to agree with him. He's never had so many scratches at once, which is concerning and puzzling. This is his first major incident of scratching and hot spots in a while.

catsandmusic70

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi again!

My cat Henry's spots and scratches (I say this with cautious optimism) seem to be much better, but I'm now having a pilling problem. Henry's vet recommended he take Apoquel to stop his itching. I knew it would be a challenge to give Henry medication, even though this is his first time to have to take it, but I had no clue just how challenging.

I've tried Pill Pockets, hiding the pill in his food and gently trying to give the pill to him straight. I'm doing something wrong, because nothing works and I'm worried about his itching starting up again and my not having the means to help him stop. Does anyone have a unique approach to getting a cat to take their medication? I'm at a loss as to what to do. I've seen online that there are bacon pastes a human can wrap their cat's pill in, but I wonder if this would work any better than Pill Pockets.

For now, Henry seems okay, but the vet strongly encourages me to use the Apoquel, in addition to making additional adjustments to his diet, as she believes he is suffering from food allergies.

Thank you and I hope everyone is safe and well!

Angie

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Can the pill be crushed? If so, it could be mixed with a bit of the water from canned tuna or chicken - and, then give him a bite of either afterward? It might also be a med that can be specially compounded into another form, such as liquid - and, enticing flavors added as well.

catsandmusic70

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi FeebysOwner. Thank you so much! I was hoping it could be crushed, but I called the vet and she said it cannot be. One thing that especially worries me is that even if I am able to dry pill him, I don't have a syringe to follow the pill with water. I've read about something called pill poppers, which inject the pill into the cat's throat, but that also worries me, in terms of Henry safely swallowing the pill. Maybe if I let the pill soak in with tuna (I think Henry's allergic to chicken, as eliminating that from his diet seems to have helped some) I can get him to take it that way.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Call your vet about soaking the pill - it might be deemed the same thing as crushing it. Also, ask about the compounding angle. It will cost more, but might be worth it in the long run.

Here are some articles and previous posts on tips for giving cats pills. Hope something in one of them might work for you!
Pilling Cats: Must-know Tips For Hiding Pills
The Best Pill-taking Secret I Know...
Pilling Cats and Dogs Safely
How We Give Our Pill Hating Cat A Pill
Getting Cat To Take Pills... Post Tips Here.

Anoxia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello! Would you be able to ask your vet for syringes? Mine was able to provide me with some spares when my cat chewed through the dropper that came with her antibiotics.

If online orders are an option for you, I've seen a different user suggest something like this, which can work with both pills and liquids:
Amazon.com : Pet Pill Dispenser Dog Pill Dispenser Pet Piller Gun Cat Pill Shooter Tablet Soft Tip Syringe Pet Medical Feeding Dispenser for Small Pet : Pet Supplies

If the syringe does not work out, I think voluntarily getting him to drink can still help. Some things I've tried in the past include:
- Powdered goat milk mixed with water.
- Chicken broth (just spare chicken parts in the pot with water).
- Cat-safe baby food mixed with water and strained.
- Fish-flavored pate (which I usually don't feed them) mixed with water and strained.

I measured out the liquid and stored them in small ice cube trays so I could just thaw it each day. The straining is only necessary if you're using a syringe.

Hoping for the best for him!

Last edited:

catsandmusic70

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much, Anoxia! I just saw this, I'm so sorry.

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
With the pill popper it’s not really pushing the pill out with a lot of force, it’s basically the same effect as if you were able to have very long fingers! It helps with the issue of not being able to get the pill far enough back that the cat will swallow it because your hand is in the way or gets bitten. If you’re still having trouble and haven’t tried one yet I’d recommend it - put the pill into the rubber tip of the pill popper and then fill a second syringe with a few ml of water or tuna water. Right after you give the pill and your cat swallows it, gently syringe some liquid into the side of his mouth to make sure everything goes down smoothly and doesn’t get stuck.