Conjunctivitis Or Something Else?

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
My 10yr cat went to vet n has conjunctivitis.Dr. gave him terramycin; onsior:and viralys (Lysine).I just wanted to know how long before he gets better.I asked Dr.also.I just want to know from other people that has had same problem.And how often comes back n what causes it???

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think it really depends on what caused it. As you asked..."what causes it?" Many cats have Feline Herpes, and often it results in weepy eye or eyes. And they normally treat it by giving Lysine EVERYDAY, even when there are no symptoms, then upping the dosage when there are symptoms. Did your Vet say what they think caused this? I see they prescribed Onsior, which is often given as a pain med. I don't recall seeing this prescribed before for Herpes, but doesn't mean it doesn't happen. So, it's very hard to answer your question not knowing exactly what the cause is. Sometimes it does come back (IF it's Feline Herpes, it probably will), if it's really a Corneal scratch or something like that, it probably won't.

We have lots of threads about Conjunctivitis if you do a search from "Search" feature at the top of the page. I couldn't find anything on your specific questions though. (but I didn't read every thread)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it really depends on what caused it. As you asked..."what causes it?" Many cats have Feline Herpes, and often it results in weepy eye or eyes. And they normally treat it by giving Lysine EVERYDAY, even when there are no symptoms, then upping the dosage when there are symptoms. Did your Vet say what they think caused this? I see they prescribed Onsior, which is often given as a pain med. I don't recall seeing this prescribed before for Herpes, but doesn't mean it doesn't happen. So, it's very hard to answer your question not knowing exactly what the cause is. Sometimes it does come back (IF it's Feline Herpes, it probably will), if it's really a Corneal scratch or something like that, it probably won't.

We have lots of threads about Conjunctivitis if you do a search from "Search" feature at the top of the page. I couldn't find anything on your specific questions though. (but I didn't read every thread)

It was feline herpes that caused it.And the onsior prescribed for his arthritis

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
With Feline Herpes, stress can cause a "breakout".

Here's an article about it that might help you: Ocular (eye) Herpes In Cats I will point out that in this article it states there is no scientific data behind using L-Lysine for Feline Herpes, however, we have probably hundreds of people here who do use it and swear by it for their herpes cats. It doesn't stop an outbreak, but they must feel it really helps or I'm guessing they wouldn't bother using it. I don't have any first hand experience with Feline Herpes, but have been a member here for many years now and have read many, many threads on this condition. I can't think of a single one where they don't use L-Lysine, and some even add Lactoferrin to the mix

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
20190307_123648.jpg
20190307_123543.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Just wanted to acknowledge your post, but can't really help. You know the standard response - take Snowball to a vet and have it looked at. There will be other members who will see your post - hopefully soon - so, hang in there until they do. Everyone here is very helpful - sometimes it just takes time for them to log on and read through all the posts.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Can you email the pictures to your vet for review? The vet may still want to see your cat in person for a more thorough exam but he or she should be able to suggest a few possible eye issues, all of which will need appropriate treatment.

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
I have taken my cat to vet.They said conjunctivitis.Couple weeks ago gave him antibiotic it cleared up .But its back again.Any one out there had or has the same issue with the0 cat?If so how was ure cat treatment n etc.

Attachments

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Looks like some kind of allergy. Can you bring him in to his vet for a check soon before it gets worse?

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think this warrants a vet visit as soon as you are able. It could be from a variety of things-- I could list some but I'm not a vet and a vet would be able to figure this out, or can refer you to an opthamologist if needed. Eye issues can be painful for the cat and if not addressed could possibly lead to vision loss.
:vibes: :vibes::alright: :grouphug:

Jesset1977

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Eye infections usually have a yellowish or greenish gunk around the eye and sometimes sealing them shut. This looks more like some sort of allergy to me. Hes a gorgeous kitty....hope he feels better soon.

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
eye
20190316_153629.jpg

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Looks like some kind of allergy. Can you bring him in to his vet for a check soon before it gets worse?
I already took him to vet.And gave him terramycin and amoxi/clav.And soon as his was done with meds.It came back

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It could be conjunctivitis and Snowball needs to see a vet for confirmation. It is usually treated with feline antibiotic drops or ointment. Can you send the photo to your vet.

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
It could be conjunctivitis and Snowball needs to see a vet for confirmation. It is usually treated with feline antibiotic drops or ointment. Can you send the photo to your vet.
I took him and gave him terramycin and amoxi/clav.Aclav.As soon as meds done it came back

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Its not likely to clear on its own. Maybe he needs something a little stronger. Give your vet a call and explain it has returned. Hopefully someone else will reply who has first hand experience. Keep us posted.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just posted this on another conjunctivitis thread. Maybe you will find it helpful.

Did the vet do a stain to check for a scratch on the cornea? My rainbow bridge kitty used to get conjunctivitis often. Usually it cleared up in about a week with eye drops and eye ointment. She also had weird eyelashes and those would sometimes fold inward and cause irritation. You might try an antihistamine to see if allergies is the cause. You can add plain powdered lysine to wet food with a bit of water added to the consistency of a slurry. Powdered lysine is tasteless and odorless. We use the Vitacost brand in the 1 lb jar (I have 5 cats). Just a heaping 1/4 t is equal to 500mg. Give it twice a day for best impact. You can also try adding a little bit of colloidal silver to wet food to boost the immune system.