Confusing Body Language

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
GREAT setup!!! Cat paradise!!! Really well done!!!

I really like the "cube". Where did you get that? I want to get a couple.

One thing I do is block off those areas under things so the cats have to be out a bit more and realize there are no real threats only good things the humans bring. Then if they are scared when I come in I just don't look at them and just give the food and early on leave and later on just sit on the floor (not looking at them) and getting them a positive association. And I never stand over them either.

Is Cloud bullied at all? That you know of?

One last thing. When I have a number of cats I try to have at least an equal amount of litter boxes or plus 1 ideally if at all possible. Minus 1 is ok as well but just less ideal. Just so no one blocks access to one or there is any competition etc.

Really great job. Mama is ADORABLE!! And Mackerel sure looks content, happy and confident.

Thank you so much for all you are doing for them. They seem to be doing really well!! GREAT JOB!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LittleShadow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I'm aware of the non-ideal litterbox situation. I try my best to keep it clean, and haven't seen any problems as far as I can tell, but I know it isn't good. Unfortunately, I can't figure out how I could get seven litterboxes in there without it just being The Litter Box Room. I'm thinking of swapping the table for a straight legged one and putting another litterbox next to the first one, but I'm at a loss for where to put any more. They like to run across the open floor area, and the space next to the cat tree, and I can't put it in front of the door, or on a bed, under a bed is going to be a nightmare to clean, I don't want to put it right next to their water or food, etc. :confused:

I'm not sure that Cloud is bullied so much as that the others are just far, far more outgoing. I've seen them cuddle and groom with all the other kittens.

The cube was a gift from a friend who got it as a gift herself, so...not sure. I've seen similar cubes on amazon though? Try wooden pet house, and see what you get. A lot have doors, or slightly different railings, but you should find some options.

I did consider blocking off the underside, but Cloud doesn't have a ton of hiding places in the bedroom, and they're so nervous I don't want to remove too many sources of safety feeling. :dunno:

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It seems to be working so I am not sure it is a real big deal. That is always our problem, how to get enough in there BUT make them out of the way etc. Yes, under a bed is not good nor being close to food and water. It is always a challenge. As long as they are getting access and using the box then it is fine. They seem to be doing well so I wouldn't worry.

That is good Cloud isn't bullied. You are obviously helping Cloud get more confident and coming out of the shell.

Cool. I really like that. I have a few places those look like they would be perfect. I will search around. Thanks!!

Yes, that is always the tricky part. I tend to block off those areas first before the cats get in there. Once they have access then I tend to hesitate to take away territory. BUT I try to balance the benefit of having them out more (as long as they are not bullied) vs the risk of getting them comfortable hiding. It really is more art than science.

I love your set up. Keep socializing them and they'll come around. Cats respond to love. Mama and Mackerel sure look like they are doing well so a lot of success already!! Well done!! And Cloud sure seems to be doing a lot better. Keep up the great work!!