Conflicting mesages

avalis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone,

I appreciate your being here because I need serious advice. A female cat began appearing in my backyard to eat, as I feed the strays in the neighborhood. I started paying more attention to her than usual and she began hanging around my yard nonstop because it looked as though she welcomed the attention. I then offered her a place inside my house but this is where she let me know that she did not want to be inside. She would not allow me to bring her in but eventually one day I brought her in. She was inside for about three weeks. She made no friends with the rest of my cats and would hiss at them whenever they were near. None of them were hostile toward her. I have some that are on the younger side and they wanted to befriend her, which she refused. At times I would show her the door to the yard to see how she felt about going outside again and she would not come to the door. On other occasions, she would. I decided to bring her out thinking that she would come back in after a short time outside. I wanted her to re-experience her life outside and not feel imprisoned. Bad mistake. After a day outside, she does not want to return. And yet, she spends her days flopped on the ground in the yard and occasionally comes to the door. She almost seems as though she wants to come back in, but doesn't actually walk in. There are sound reasons for wanting her inside. The weather is getting super hot. There are ants and pests in the yard. Other feral cats aren't always friendly. And there are also sound reasons for not wanting her inside. She wasn't friendly to my other cats and they began avoiding going to places in the house where the outside cat would stay. So at this point, I'm tied in a knot about the whole situation. To make matters worse, she tries to hunt birds and has caught some. I have bird feeders and even the birds don't want to come into my yard because of her. By the way, she did have a microchip that was unregistered - I checked all of the registries. So she had an owner at one point. Help.

CaseysMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Aww, bless your heart for caring so much about her and trying to make her a part of your home. :rbheart: Personally, I would be afraid to risk bringing her inside with my other cats if it didn't go well the first time. You have to think about them first. It sounds like she wants to be near you, but doesn't want to live inside. If you don't think it would be safe for her to remain an outdoor cat in your yard, are there shelters or vet clinics that would help you get her adopted?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. First off, if the chip is unregistered to a specific owner, can you trace it back to the center who chipped her? They may have some contact information relative to when someone 'adopted' her. Do you have any idea if she is spayed? The center who chipped her may have information about that as well.

Secondly, 3 weeks was way too short of a time for her to acclimate to being inside, much less to be comfortable with your other cats. Did you follow any guidelines regarding both? Are you interested in trying again? If you are, there is another step in between, and that is to have her checked out by a vet before she is exposed to your other cats, but after she settles down some by being inside full time. If you do want to try again, take a look at these articles to help you devise a plan.
The Five Golden Rules To Bringing An Outdoor Cat Inside - TheCatSite
How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home - TheCatSite
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide - TheCatSite

If you don't want to try again, and can find no additional information about her chip, then check with rescue centers/no-kill shelters, and any other rescue resources you can find, to see if anyone is willing to take her on and help her get adopted.
As you are doing this, if she will allow you to, you might consider getting a topical flea treatment to put on her to help while she is still outdoors.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
On other occasions, she would. I decided to bring her out thinking that she would come back in after a short time outside. I wanted her to re-experience her life outside and not feel imprisoned. Bad mistake. After a day outside, she does not want to return. And yet, she spends her days flopped on the ground in the yard and occasionally comes to the door. She almost seems as though she wants to come back in, but doesn't actually walk in.
Can you build her a shelter and so that she can be inside of your house but outside? Meaning, she'll have a place to stay but not inside your house but still at your doorstep. I guess she's more use to living outdoors than indoors but still like to hang around your house.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

avalis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. First off, if the chip is unregistered to a specific owner, can you trace it back to the center who chipped her? They may have some contact information relative to when someone 'adopted' her. Do you have any idea if she is spayed? The center who chipped her may have information about that as well.

Secondly, 3 weeks was way too short of a time for her to acclimate to being inside, much less to be comfortable with your other cats. Did you follow any guidelines regarding both? Are you interested in trying again? If you are, there is another step in between, and that is to have her checked out by a vet before she is exposed to your other cats, but after she settles down some by being inside full time. If you do want to try again, take a look at these articles to help you devise a plan.
The Five Golden Rules To Bringing An Outdoor Cat Inside - TheCatSite
How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home - TheCatSite
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide - TheCatSite

If you don't want to try again, and can find no additional information about her chip, then check with rescue centers/no-kill shelters, and any other rescue resources you can find, to see if anyone is willing to take her on and help her get adopted.
As you are doing this, if she will allow you to, you might consider getting a topical flea treatment to put on her to help while she is still outdoors.
Hello,
I conducted several searches on the microchip, including trying to find out who may have manufactured that microchip. Yes, she was spayed. I already took her to my vet, who was the one that told me about the microchip and that she had been spayed. She was vaccinated and treated for You're right in that I acted too soon in bringing her out again. Three weeks was way too short for her to adapt to being indoors with my other cats. I will check out the articles you mention. I do want to try again, but there are several considerations.

avalis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Can you build her a shelter and so that she can be inside of your house but outside? Meaning, she'll have a place to stay but not inside your house but still at your doorstep. I guess she's more use to living outdoors than indoors but still like to hang around your house.
Hi,

There already is a dog house in the yard with a pillow where she goes. It's unoccupied except for her. The problem with her is that she is very dominant and aggressive. She doesn't want to let other cats come into the yard, which is a problem because I feed several of them in the neighborhood. I care for her, but I'm not going to let her take over the yard. She also pounces on the birds, so my yard is becoming a ghost town except for her. I won't her her continue doing this, though.

avalis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Aww, bless your heart for caring so much about her and trying to make her a part of your home. :rbheart: Personally, I would be afraid to risk bringing her inside with my other cats if it didn't go well the first time. You have to think about them first. It sounds like she wants to be near you, but doesn't want to live inside. If you don't think it would be safe for her to remain an outdoor cat in your yard, are there shelters or vet clinics that would help you get her adopted?
I'm sure I could take her to a no-kill shelter to see if she will be adopted, but I won't do this. This cat is very independent and she would suffer a lot in a shelter or other facility. I'll see if I can continue to persuade her to return indoors with me but if not, I'll have to let her stay where she is as long as she is all right. I don't subscribe to the notion that humans always know what is best for animals. They should have autonomy and say so over their lives. Just because we're the dominant species doesn't mean we should control or regulate other so called "lesser" forms of life. In the end, I think humans are very ignorant when it comes to understanding animals and they deserve our respect and consideration.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hi,

There already is a dog house in the yard with a pillow where she goes. It's unoccupied except for her. The problem with her is that she is very dominant and aggressive. She doesn't want to let other cats come into the yard, which is a problem because I feed several of them in the neighborhood. I care for her, but I'm not going to let her take over the yard. She also pounces on the birds, so my yard is becoming a ghost town except for her. I won't her her continue doing this, though.
I guess it seems that this is her turf and she has come to the point - I see, I conquer. So this is her territory and she's defending it. She has tried living in your house for 3 weeks and she has decided that living outside the house is better for her but in the compound is what she wants and I think it's best to leave it this way for her. I don't see any point getting her to the shelter as that will change her behavior and becomes hard to adopt.

If she's comfortable living in your yard, please let her do so. Pouncing on birds is a natural thing for a cat to do.

lucyrima

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
But killing them is unnecessary. If she has a bell on her collar that actually rings (half of them don't seem to) it gives the birds a fighting chance when she is close by.