Conflicting feelings.

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
Before the Hurricane, we had no plans to move. Our plan was to stay here. No more moving, just happy where we were. Isabel had to be put down a few weeks prior to the storm, which in the end I am now glad for as I know in her condition the storm would have been far to much for her to handle + the few days we were stuck in the heat. The vet has been holding her body while we deal with digging a hole but... now I'm not so sure. I'm debating saving some money up to cremate her, because after the hurricane... we have decided we want to move. We're to close to the coast and we just don't want to deal with another Katrina or Ida ever again.

It's not Isabel's body I'm feeling conflicted over. It's CiCi's.

I'm torn between burying Isabel with her. We'll be moving within the next year or so, and it makes me sick knowing we'll be leaving CiCi behind. I loved that cat so much and she and Isabel were so very close. Part of me wants to bury Isabel with her, the other part of me wants to cremate Isabel so that I can keep her with me always - we would have cremated CiCi... but we didn't have the money at the time of her death.

I guess I'm just feeling really conflicted on what to do here.

I can't dig Cici up and take her with us for reburial (I don't think anyway - she WAS buried in a box.) but I had Isabel for 17 years of my life and that cat saw me through some of the hardest moments of my life, the idea of her not being with me in a way is just heart breaking.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I would take some of the soil and not disturb her place of rest. As that excellent suggestion above states, mix some of Isabel's ashes with the soil, and that way you can have both cats near. I buried all my cats at our last place of residence and we poured a cement slab over their graves and placed a bench there. People are not apt to take up a slab of cement. You can also place a planter on it if it is in a spot not suitable for a bench. I feel much better thinking their graves will not be disturbed. I have their fur in a keepsake box which I will be buried with and keep in mind it is their physical bodies that are here in this world. Love is spiritual and they will be eternally bonded with your soul and will be with you no matter where you are. The physical body will return to dust, but their souls and the love they have for you soars free.....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
Could you take some of the soil from where CiCi is buried?
One of the issues with that is that we live in Louisiana, it's almost always raining where we are so where she's buried is hard to get to at the moment. It may dry out come mid fall/winter though. I don't know though, the idea of taking soil doesn't comfort me much. Maybe it should. I've been heartsick over this >.<

In addition to taking some soil, you could bury some of Isabel's ashes with CiCi.
That's a good idea! I'm just unsure right now if we'll be able to cremate her.

I'm still hesitating calling the vet to make sure they still have her body =( they said they had a generator during the storm, so I'm hoping that means they do.

Yes, I would take some of the soil and not disturb her place of rest. As that excellent suggestion above states, mix some of Isabel's ashes with the soil, and that way you can have both cats near. I buried all my cats at our last place of residence and we poured a cement slab over their graves and placed a bench there. People are not apt to take up a slab of cement. You can also place a planter on it if it is in a spot not suitable for a bench. I feel much better thinking their graves will not be disturbed. I have their fur in a keepsake box which I will be buried with and keep in mind it is their physical bodies that are here in this world. Love is spiritual and they will be eternally bonded with your soul and will be with you no matter where you are. The physical body will return to dust, but their souls and the love they have for you soars free.....
I'm sorry about your furbaby, that's a beautiful idea with her fur! I wish I had thought to take some of CiCi's but given the state they had found her body in, they didn't want me to see her =( i should have asked someone else to do it for me though, wish I did

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
While the body should be handled with respect, it's no longer your cat. Nor is your cat in a cold grave. They have been freed from pain, disease and infirmities and have moved on to a better place.

Take with you the love in your heart, the memories and mementos. Leave behind the burden of body and grave. You can be sure your cats have. Your cats have taken only the bond you shared and only wish for you to be as free in life as they are now, where they wait for you.