Concerns About Male Crystals & Presciption Food

Tnd128

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Everyone!

My Male cat Cheddar, was diagnosed with structure crystals late August 2018, he was able to pass the block himself. But since then he has been on Royal Canin Urinary SO food, I switch between the regulr gel and the morsels in gravy. He has been healthy since, but yesterday and this morning I caught him licking his penis. This was one of the first signs I dismissed before he started having a blockage. I just thought he was being excessive about cleaning himself, and turns out that is an indicative sign. My concerns are that maybe the morsels in gravy are causing a calcium oxate stone to form? From the active ingredient DL-methionine. I don’t know how often they can have it or if anyone else has had problems with the food. I may end up calling the vet just to be safe. I just want to be as proactive as possible!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tnd128

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Everyone!

My Male cat Cheddar, was diagnosed with structure crystals late August 2018, he was able to pass the block himself. But since then he has been on Royal Canin Urinary SO food, I switch between the regulr gel and the morsels in gravy. He has been healthy since, but yesterday and this morning I caught him licking his penis. This was one of the first signs I dismissed before he started having a blockage. I just thought he was being excessive about cleaning himself, and turns out that is an indicative sign. My concerns are that maybe the morsels in gravy are causing a calcium oxate stone to form? From the active ingredient DL-methionine. I don’t know how often they can have it or if anyone else has had problems with the food. I may end up calling the vet just to be safe. I just want to be as proactive as possible!
*struvite

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have not heard of the SO causing oxalate stones, as I was under the impression that it works for BOTH struvite and oxalate. It works by increasing water intake, making them pee more. DL-methionine acidifies the urine (cats should naturally have acidic urine) and is present in even non prescription foods, so I don't think (just my opinion) That it would be the reason for you little ones' excessive licking. I wonder if the RC SO is just not the right food for him.

My cat had struvite crystals, and I will tell you that the RC SO did not work for him, the only food that worked to keep his crystals away was the Hill's CD, which has DL-methionine also, and as long as he stayed on this food, he was perfectly fine. The SD (Hill's) food however if used long term will cause oxalate stones because it is supposed to be a short term food to get rid of the crystals. If the crystals are a big problem, you start off with the SD and then switch to the CD for maintenance, although mine did not need the SD, he recovered with simply the CD.

The best thing you can do is bring him back in and get a urinalysis done to see if there is an infection or any crystals present. The way the SO works may not be what your kitty needs.
Is he peeing OK?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tnd128

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have not heard of the SO causing oxalate stones, as I was under the impression that it works for BOTH struvite and oxalate. It works by increasing water intake, making them pee more. DL-methionine acidifies the urine (cats should naturally have acidic urine) and is present in even non prescription foods, so I don't think (just my opinion) That it would be the reason for you little ones' excessive licking. I wonder if the RC SO is just not the right food for him.

My cat had struvite crystals, and I will tell you that the RC SO did not work for him, the only food that worked to keep his crystals away was the Hill's CD, which has DL-methionine also, and as long as he stayed on this food, he was perfectly fine. The SD (Hill's) food however if used long term will cause oxalate stones because it is supposed to be a short term food to get rid of the crystals. If the crystals are a big problem, you start off with the SD and then switch to the CD for maintenance, although mine did not need the SD, he recovered with simply the CD.

The best thing you can do is bring him back in and get a urinalysis done to see if there is an infection or any crystals present. The way the SO works may not be what your kitty needs.
Is he peeing OK?
So far his peeing has been fine. I was very concerned about the licking of his penis. The vet sends me home with a Kit4cat to collect sample, but it’s very hard to get him to go on the non absorbent litter. My poor little guy got so sick on the way to the vet, and then when there they decided to check his anal glands, which they said is very rare to act up in cats but he said it could be a cause for excessive grooming in that area. I think it was traumatizing for my poor cat, as they had to push on them to excess anything. And the vet showed that something did come out. He said it was odd, usually it was liquid but my cats came out a little thicker. But he did not seem that concerned because it didn’t look like an infection. I now just have to try and get a urine sample to see if he still has crystals or not. And whatever they cleaned his bottom with afterwards is making my girl cat very upset. She keeps hissing at him and I do not want him to be anymore stressed out after being sick in the car and practically being probed. :(