concerned re sudden different behaviour, need advice, anyone else been here??

dotty6876

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have a 3 yr old neutered cat.  She has always been a little "different" to previous cats I have had. Although she can be sensitive, she can also be a little nasty to us, but attacking us out of the blue.. but finally she settled down in our home after 2 yrs. 

We have just come back from holiday, and as she is sensitive we get people in rather than a cattery,  she gets to stay in her home and she can be very territorial. 

We arrived home and the people that had stayed (Friends of friends) had trashed our home, stole money and smoked cannabis all over the house, It has been 5 days now and you can still smell it, although we are gradually getting rid. The litter tray wasn't emptied in the week and no litter was used. She goes out side but only for short breaks. I am certain that these people have either bullied, left her out or she has got high on cannabis. 

She has changed her ways.. she darts about, she is laying in places that she never ever laid in before.. like tonight I chopped onions, turned my back and she was laying on the work top on top of the skins! She usually don't go on the work tops as I don't allow it, but now she is all over. She lays in a tiny gap in the lounge between the stereo and alcove! She is coming up to bed with us and instead of laying on our bed as usual  she knocks everything on the floor and sleeps on the bedside cabinet. She is off her food, but she ate tuna last night. Although she is eating certain flavours. She has always been a fussy eater.  She has also got fleas now and I treated her with advantage straight away.. The first evening we weere home she cried really loudly at the ceiling and we didn't know what to do, you can't always approach her as she attacks.  She lays on my lap and looks settled, then she jumps up and flies around the house like a nutter.. I am so worried about her, should I take her to the vets? I hate taking her as she puts her self back with the trauma of the journey etc.. I just feel so sorry for her I want to make her feel right again. Can anyone help me? 

slykat12

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How long where you gone and she exposed to the people that where not so nice-one week?? Sounds like you need to get more quality people watching your baby. Giver her some more time to settle.

Last edited:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She sounds definitely like she has been traumatized. Heaven only knows what she has been through. It will take at least a week for her to settle down, just give her lots of love and attention and remember she's not herself. You may have to retrain her on some things, like being on the counter, and knocking things off the shelves. She is overstimulated when she 'attacks' you, very common, especially in females.Look for a swishing tail or dilated eyes and stop what you are doing and back off. It's just going to take a while for her to realize she is safe again, cats HATE change. Good luck and keep us informed on how she is doing!

karissima

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Maybe try some Feliway as well as giving her time to settle down. Definitely let your friends know that their "friends" should not be recommended to anyone else and can't be trusted. What creeps!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dotty6876

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you every one, we were gone a week, and we did think they were fine, we met the couple and they were polite and "acted" like they loved her.. I am mortified. My poor Dotty is running about the house knocking things over and climbing on things she has never done before, she has just run across the room, up on the chair, right across my lap top and up my chest and flew off the back off the chair, she was in the kitchen and walked fast right over the cooker hob.. she has never done this, we have a way of calling her and she is oblivious to it.. Totally staring through us. We have put fresh food out 3 times today and she hasn't touched it. Although she ate well yesterday. I think I will take her to the vets tomorrow if she does not improve, surely the journey won't make her worse.. it has to be worth getting her checked out.. I will update with any news.. thank you

karissima

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would also write a report about this, while it's still fresh in your memory. Keep notes. Record the conversation with the vet and keep copies of everything. If they did do harm you should take them to civil court. Did they feed her at least?? I'd be so so angry.

karissima

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I should add: even if you don't want to press for compensation or cause trouble with friends, I would still keep careful documentation so you can advise the vet of specifics. Time food is offered, type of food, response, new behaviors, etc will give the vet a clearer picture.
I hope she feels better soon!

smokem

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
well,marijuana stays in the blood 30 days,right??

wonder if its effects are more pronounced on felines??

smokem

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
ahhh.I get it!!

actually..smokem is the cats name and refers to how

rapidly he can disappear.Must of learned that living on the streets,

running for his life.

Pufasmoke"!where'd the cat go??

karissima

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Lol I figured it was your kitty, but it still made me laugh!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dotty6876

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Gave the cat a Bob Marten Monday and she looks like she reacted! Went to the vets and they have checked her out, we were there for an hour with 2 vets going over her, she was so calm and well behaved. She is traumatised and needs plenty of TLC... it could takes weeks to get her back to normality and then she may even need a cat behaviourist.. so fingers crossed we can spoil her and she comes out of it all ok!! Thank you everyone for your kind words and support.. Debs