Concerned Pacing And Circling

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So his pupils are enlarged too? I would say since this is so very uncharacteristic, money is not really an issue, and you are beyond worried, maybe it's time to rule out any health issue by getting him to an emergency Vet. What he is displaying could be anxiety brought on by who knows what (ANY changes in the house since yesterday?), or poisoning from pretty much who knows what (household cleaners?) , or could be health related. Enlarged pupils could be from fear, anxiety, defensiveness, even pain (not necessarily associated with the eyes)

Seriously, if it were one of my cats, I'd rule out anything health wise. But most folks here think it's an outside influence (critter of some sort), so you'll need to be the judge here.

If you decide to try to wait it out, maybe you could run to a pet store and pick up some calming treats and see if that helps. Here is an article on helping with stress if that might help at all: Six Surefire Strategies To Reduce Stress In Cats

I know whenever we're having workmen here at the house for any reason, I give my guys Rescue Remedy for Animals to help them relax. It seems to help. Not sure if it would help your guy or not though, since he seems extremely agitated, if that's what it is vs a health issue.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It does sound as if SOMETHING has gotten in, perhaps in the crawlspace/attic area, especially if he is looking at the ceiling. Raccoons and squirrels are notorious for it, and the noise a squirrel makes, especially, might be so slight that you don't hear it. HIS hearing is far better than yours.

If this keeps up through the night, take him in tomorrow to make sure that this isn't something neurological, although he's very young for that. Actually, if he acts as normally as he usually does when he leaves the house, that will tell you a lot right there.

AND DO LET US KNOW what is going on with him, please! We'll fret.

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
I’ve tried and tried to upload I can’t get it. But he’s laying on be looking at ceiling floor behind him ceiling floor behind him for10 mins then he stands up walks around on bed looking at ceiling then bed then ceiling bed then he paces doing that for 5 mins then lays back down doing same thing. I know he’s got to be tired. His eveyes are very large right now and they have a blue reflection when he lols at light. I’m soooo beyond worried
From everything u have told..yes it could be anything that all the other members have said...DEFINITELY....But if I were u...n it was my cat...and had the money...I would take him in to the vet....ASAP...Ive looked up the symptoms u describing n YES it could be any number of things the other members have said...YES...It may NOT be anything to worry about...But I saw where u stated money wasnt an issue..Well if thats the case...if u can afford it....I would take the kitty in ASAP...

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I remember when we had a VERY large raccoon in the attic of our former house. Our cat was literally jumping up the walls and running from one room to the next. However, since they are nocturnal it happened more frequently at night and we heard loud footsteps that sounded like someone was walking on the roof. It turned out he bent back one of the blades of a whole house fan to enter the attic. If this is the case I would imagine you'd hear some type of sounds too or it could be a smaller animal, e.g. squirrel.

e_l_green

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
For a 3 year old cat I wouldn't be worried too much about a medical problem unless he was poisoned somehow. Was your house recently treated for insects? Have you used ant killer or anything else poisonous recently? What about cleaning counters with a new cleanser, or using a new cleanser on the floors?

If your answer is "no" to all of the above, the people saying maybe a mouse got into the walls may be correct.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

spazthecat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
no rodents or anything like that our house is only 3 years old and very clean. occasionally a bug will get in like a moth or something when we leave door open but nothing like that. also he is looking at ceiling then floor. for a lack of better words he looks like hes drunk or high. No medication is laying around. he was perfectly fine when we went to bed last nigh. he doesnt eat anything thats not cat food or treats. ive tried giving him steak ham turkey all kinds of things he looks at them then walks off. ive left steak on a paper plate on floor and told them they were treats. i left them there all night and he never touched them. u can set ur plate down somewhere and rest assured he wont mess with it. a very good animal. i have never had a cat before but i know this isnt normal something is wrong with him. he hasnt been still since 8 this am and we are now going on 2

spazthecat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would like to thank everyone in here that tried to help me yesterday. It was traumatic experience for me. I’m a39 year old concrete supervisor and that little fur ball had me in tears near about. This is my first cat and he wandered up when he was 5-6 weeks old very skiddish. I got on to my wife for feeding stray animal as I didn’t want to start an animal shelter at our house. But somehow him and I bonde he became my cat and I became his human. There are no words to describe the state I would be in if something happened to him. So again thank everyone that tried helping yesterday. After 16 hours of the spastic head movements he slowly started to come out of it. By 10 last night it had moved from ceiling floor ceiling floor to occasionally ceiling floor to chew on feet. He then progresses to constantly chewing on feet in the same spot on bed. He then began to move around a little but would ended up back on that same spot on bed. I was really relieved when he ate a treat that had been there most of the day then I seen him drinking his water I had put by his spot on bed. First time he had ate or drank in 20 hours at least. By midnight he was laying on top of me putting me to sleep like every night. I couldn’t have been happier. I’m going to go out on a limb and say he either got into and ADDERRAL pill or Tylenol pill. My stepson is 10 and takes Adderall. We found a broken capsule on floor near kitchen with some beads laying nearby. It was under legs of table which is why we didn’t see it at first. The older boy found it. It was a high dose extended release. So I can only assume that was it cause he did slowly come out of it. I would never have guessed it would have lasted that long. I knew there wasn’t anything in attic because this house is only 2 years old. We spray for insects and I’ve never seen any type of rodent or anything here. We rarely have bugs inside only when backporch light is on and someoneleaves door open

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you for updating us and with such good news, you must be so relieved. These cats can get into trouble without any help but let's hope he has learned his lesson and stays away from all tablets in future. Relax now and enjoy him, a frightening experience for both of you with a good outcome.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you for updating us and with such good news, you must be so relieved.
It sounds like all's well that ends well but you may want to check with your vet to be safe. :alright:

FYI, I saw this article about Adderall toxicity in cats that states the chemical substances in this medication can actually be appealing to cats:
Adderall Toxicity in Cats

spazthecat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for updating us and with such good news, you must be so relieved. These cats can get into trouble without any help but let's hope he has learned his lesson and stays away from all tablets in future. Relax now and enjoy him, a frightening experience for both of you with a good outcome.
Indeed it was and I learned a lot a
Is he eating and acting normally now? You probably still want to take him to the vet because that is an intense drug for a small cat to take.
yes he is 100% back to normal this afternoon he is even tolerating my wife’s little jack russel. He was in no such mood yesterday. He will play with the dog if no one is looking but he grows tired really quickly and he will run away and get up on something dog can’t. Yesterday morning during his pacing stages he wouldn’t get up on anything and Roscoe kept wanting to play he’s just a puppy and spaz let out a meow that was louder and longer than I had ever heard him make

spazthecat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It sounds like all's well that ends well but you may want to check with your vet to be safe. :alright:

FYI, I saw this article about Adderall toxicity in cats that states the chemical substances in this medication can actually be appealing to cats:
Adderall Toxicity in Cats
I was fixing to mention that I saw that yesterday as well. Spaz doesn’t eat anything but cat food and cat treats. I’ve tried steak off the grill I’ve tried roast ham anything I even put it on a plate and left it all night. I called it a treat and everything. He would walk up and smell it then just look at me. That why I had such a hard time thinking he got into something. But I imagine he walked over the broken capsule and smelled it and a couple of bead went up his nostril. Essentially he was sniffing amphetamines extended release which kind of explains everything like the pacing and neurological head twitching. I wish I could have uploaded the videos and I think that would have cleared up the animals in attic theory