Collars for scratchers?

sarahliz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I put a collar on Chowder not too long ago.  All has gone quite well, but it's getting kind of ratty from him scratching it.  Any recommendations of more durable collars for cats? His is just a basic nylon one from Petsmart. (SafeCat brand)

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He is probably scratching it up because it irritates him. I have not used collars on my cats for a long time. Sugar, Spice and Sheba all have collars from the shelter they came from, but I took them off when they had been here for several weeks.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahliz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I realize it probably bothers him.  I just don't feel comfortable with him not having any kind of visible ID in case he gets out.  I guess I'm wondering what is more durable or what would be more comfortable for him.  I know a lot of people say there's a collar adjustment period and he's only had it on since early October, so maybe the scratching will subside.

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
I have not used then personally; but, I've read good reviews about Beastie Bands. I use "Grreat Choice Breakaway Nylon" collar...it's the very basic one offered at PetSmart. It has a "smooth" attachment where the pieces of the collar meet on the inside of the collar. (Not sure that description makes sense; but, if you feel on the inside of several different collar brands you'll see what I mean...some are bulky/scratchy.)

For my long haired kitties, I use "New Earth Soy Breakaway" collars. They come in a very limited color choice; but, they're the only ones that I have found that don't cause their fur to mat so much. I purchase my collars via Pet Supplies Plus; but, Amazon sells them too.