Cold litter box...

jdp1886

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My wife and I recently took in an abandoned cat. The neighbor's up the street threw the poor girl out when they had a baby. Anyway, we have been slowly introducing her to our two other cats with mixed results. They are not ready to live together quite yet, and unfortunately our house does not have doors separating the rooms...odd, I know, but it's an old house that has been gutted before and apparently someone took all the doors. Anyway, we've been letting the abandoned cat take shelter in our unattached garage. She has a heating pad, a shelter house full of straw, and cozy blankets on an old couch. We also put a litter box in there and she uses it well. She seems to love it. However, as winter sets in, the garage is getting a little colder...she is able to stay warm with the heating pad and the straw shelter, but my concern is the cat litter. It gets cold as the weather gets cold. It's not horrible, but it's a little chilly. Will this discourage her from using it? Any suggestions to keep it warm? Thanks.

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First of all you and your wife are wonderful people for taking care of this kitty. Your neighbours on the other hand ...........................
 I think kitty should be ok, how long has she been outside? 

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you so much for taking this girl in.

It would be really good if you could instigate some kind of introduction process.. I do understand the door thing - my place is similar -  but perhaps you could put her in one room to feed and allow the other cats to feed on the other side of the door?  Swap scents?  That kind of thing?

This is a really good article.. see if there's some way you could adapt:   [article="32680"]How To Successfully Introduce Cats The Ultimate Guide​[/article]  

I'm sorry.. I know I've gone off the subject and I really don't have much to offer on the litterbox issue as I live in the tropics!
  Are you worried that she will want to go in the shelter?  It would be really unlikely, given how clean cats are.  I imagine there shouldn't be a problem, but I don't have direct experience.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jdp1886

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Zed - thank you for the reply. She was outside for a few months before we took her in. The neighbors that eventually threw her out found her last winter in the freezing cold when she was just a little kitten, so I know she knows how to take care of herself.

Mani - thank you for the reply. I bet the tropics are nice...we live in Kansas. Nice and quiet, but coollllddd this time of year. I've heard cats are good at surviving winters and she has more than most stray cats do, so I think she'll be good for now. We hope to bring her in soon...but we also have to consider our two indoor cats who have been with us for a while and are set in thier ways and routines.