Clumping litter that doesnt track?

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am having an annoying issue with the Litter that I use, Dr Elseys cat litter. It tracks like crazy. I run the vacuum twice a day and clean up the cats food area and still see litter getting up to their eating benches. Im not sure what else I can do. I dont want them accidentally eating litter.

Anyone know of a clumping litter that wont track?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, I mix SoPhresh grass seed litter into my clumping clay litter (which helps cut the dust a lot), and I have an oversized mat that the pans are on top of.

Most of the stuff that ends up outside of the pans stays on the mat.

Much of that appears to be the grass seed and not the clay litter, which is a brand I got from Costco.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think mats/rugs underneath and extending well beyond the litter boxes, especially covering the commonly used entry and exit point areas, is about the only way to reduce what gets tracked elsewhere. I honestly don't think there is a litter in existence that doesn't track, at least somewhat. I use mats/rugs that are washable, and easy to pick up and shake out in between vacuuming sessions. I have a backup set to put down when I take up the first set.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The pellet style litter doesn't seem to track nearly as bad as sand type litter, but, it's non-clumping and needs dumped and re-filled more often than clumping litter.
I tried a litter mat, and little Miss Lila decided it would work as a potty patch, so....that was out. :doh:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, I mix SoPhresh grass seed litter into my clumping clay litter (which helps cut the dust a lot), and I have an oversized mat that the pans are on top of.

Most of the stuff that ends up outside of the pans stays on the mat.

Much of that appears to be the grass seed and not the clay litter, which is a brand I got from Costco.
Thank you! I was reading up on this litter and I read that it might not work with the litter robot which is what my cats use.

I think mats/rugs underneath and extending well beyond the litter boxes, especially covering the commonly used entry and exit point areas, is about the only way to reduce what gets tracked elsewhere. I honestly don't think there is a litter in existence that doesn't track, at least somewhat. I use mats/rugs that are washable, and easy to pick up and shake out in between vacuuming sessions. I have a backup set to put down when I take up the first set.
I tried this and it is helping. I put a honeycomb mat right next to their eating areas and it seems to grab most of the litter. I think I need to extend the mats more to catch the rest. But this is definitely helping. thank you!

I use tofu litter (it's pea fibre really) that tracks a lot less than the clay litter used to. Possibly helps that it's the same colour as my carpet! :lol:
I have never heard of this litter, I will look into it, thank you!

The pellet style litter doesn't seem to track nearly as bad as sand type litter, but, it's non-clumping and needs dumped and re-filled more often than clumping litter.
I tried a litter mat, and little Miss Lila decided it would work as a potty patch, so....that was out. :doh:
I need it to be clumping so it will work with their litter robots. I have back problems and the machines help me so I dont need to bend down throughout the day to clean their boxes.

thankfully my cats haven't used the mats as a potty patch. :lol: knock on wood!!

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
All litter tracks is my experience. Even yesterday's news tracks. Keep a dustbuster handy and suck it up works for me.

I belive they make carpeted steps for litterrobots too that may help.
Litter-Robot 4 Ramp

I have a friend who has the litter robot for her cat and it works with her phone. Though she also has the high tech feeders and waterers too. I always fear that a cat could get trapped in the drum, it has happened before theres videos.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The particular brand I use is only available in Australia afaik, but I'm sure there are equivalents available elsewhere, given how tiny our market is. Good luck!
thank you for the help!

All litter tracks is my experience. Even yesterday's news tracks. Keep a dustbuster handy and suck it up works for me.

I belive they make carpeted steps for litterrobots too that may help.
Litter-Robot 4 Ramp

I have a friend who has the litter robot for her cat and it works with her phone. Though she also has the high tech feeders and waterers too. I always fear that a cat could get trapped in the drum, it has happened before theres videos.
Thanks for the link I had no idea they make carpeted steps. Maybe I can add something to the steps I already have to catch the litter. I will look into this.

Ive been managing things by using a robot vacuum and a dust buster. I also do a weekly deep vacuuming.