Clorox And Lysol Wipes

Wheekie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cats are always jumping on my counter, my bathroom sink, my tub, etc.

How safe are these to use around my house? I just worry about the cats walking on this stuff, then licking their paws.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi - thank you for thinking of that! In my opinion it's a lot safer to just use Dawn original which I do on my kitchen counters. For your bathroom issues, I've heard there are pet wipes but I haven't looked into them regarding their intended use or what the chemicals are that are used in them. One thing I do that might work for you to where you're still getting the cleaning/disinfecting done but cutting down on the risk to your cats, after I've used windex on my windows (with lots of ventilation for both me as well as my Big Guy) I'll wet a paper towel and wipe that over the part of the window he can reach. I don't have support from my partner on that one, LOL cuz he says the ammonia isn't a problem after it's dried, but the Big Guy drools a little bit and presses his muzzle against the glass so I'm paranoid there's residue.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to use those kinds of wipes, but I've switched to baby wipes. I look for the ones with no extra fragrances or added ingredients... I figure if they are good enough for a baby's sensitive skin, then they will work for cleaning my counters. They also don't seem to leave as much of a residue as the other "cleaning" wipes.

I do keep a bottle of "bleach cleaner" that I make myself: no more than 10% bleach + water solution with a dollop of liquid laundry soap. Do not use dish soap. Dish soap often has ammonia derivatives that react badly with bleach. Anyway, I keep that in a spray bottle for the occasional "nuke-it-from-orbit" clean up (toilets, and after long day of raw meat prep).

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
do keep a bottle of "bleach cleaner" that I make myself: no more than 10% bleach + water solution with a dollop of liquid laundry soap. Do not use dish soap. Dish soap often has ammonia derivatives that react badly with bleach. Anyway, I keep that in a spray bottle for the occasional "nuke-it-from-orbit" clean up (toilets, and after long day of raw meat prep).
:yeah: My partner has this option also for the now-and-thens although I think his is just a little bleach and water. I'll have to mention the laundry soap addition. Good reminder about combining products!

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have read that Pinesol should not be used to clean bathroom floors, with cats. I just use safe soap and water to clean my bathroom floors and save the Pinesol for cleaning the toilets.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Safest to use is just 50:50 water and distilled vinegar. Non toxic and safe for your kitties. Too much vinegar is not good for cats as they eat or lick off the floor and took much vinegar will also corrode cement grout.

I use the 50:50 ratio throughout the whole house. My boy eats on the kitchen counter and after eating, I wipe the counter all the time, including spills on the sides or floor. Sometimes he jumps right up the counter after using the litter box and ask for food. So far so good using it. Also use it to clean his toys and carrier. Practically everything.

I don’t use any toxic or harsh chemicals like bleach for wiping or cleaning. Even the wet disposable towels are all alcohol and fragrance free.

Even if labels that states pet safe, just use with caution.

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use diluted bleach, washing floors, beds, towels, dishes, toys,etc. I don't think vinegar would be strong enough to kill germs and bacteria. Especially with my fiv+ kitty. I can't have him catching anything from anyone.

cat princesses

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have read that Pinesol should not be used to clean bathroom floors, with cats. I just use safe soap and water to clean my bathroom floors and save the Pinesol for cleaning the toilets.
I was told that all of the ‘ol products shouldn’t be used. I use baking soda and vinegar to completely wash out the litter box monthly. I dump all litter, wash, and put fresh monthly.

cat princesses

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use diluted bleach, washing floors, beds, towels, dishes, toys,etc. I don't think vinegar would be strong enough to kill germs and bacteria. Especially with my fiv+ kitty. I can't have him catching anything from anyone.
Agree on bleach I should use that but afraid to ruin all my stuff plus I hate the smell of bleach. Maybe it’s changed but years ago it wasn’t a good experience.

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Agree on bleach I should use that but afraid to ruin all my stuff plus I hate the smell of bleach. Maybe it’s changed but years ago it wasn’t a good experience.
As long as its colorfast and you don't use it undiluted, it should be alright. They do have scented bleach in lavender and also lemon. I've used the lemon before in toilets and sinks. Doesn't smell much like bleach more like lemon.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Safest to use is just 50:50 water and distilled vinegar. Non toxic and safe for your kitties. Too much vinegar is not good for cats as they eat or lick off the floor and took much vinegar will also corrode cement grout.
:yeah: I'd go with vinegar and water, or steamcleaning the surfaces. Another possibility is using a mix of water and non-toxic disinfectant especially formulated for cleaning small animal cages.