Clicking Sound When Enzo Walks (nails Are Clipped)

ty3535

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So something super weird happened, this morning I noticed a clicking sound when Enzo was walking-not with every step, but definitely loud enough to hear-when he was walking on the hardwood floor (I also have carpeted areas and haven’t heard it happen on there yet).

I clipped his nails, they weren’t all that long to begin with, and the clicking prevails. He’s not limping, definitely not in pain (walking/playing), I can touch and move around all his limbs. I’ve inspected all his paws, nothing looks amiss.

He’s 13 so he’s been getting a joint supplement for some time. About 8 months ago he fell or jumped and landed awkwardly when I was gone, and when I came home and realized something had happened (he had a noticeable limp) I took him to the emergency vet where they took xrays. She said it was probably a soft tissue injury and prescribed anti inflammatories for a few days. He healed up in a few weeks and was totally fine, no sign of a lingering limp.

He hasn’t injured himself or fell or done anything that could’ve re-aggravated the injury from 8 months ago. Can someone please give me some suggestions as to what it might be, and if it might be a joint or muscle issue, how can I tell? Will I be able to feel something specific? Thanks so much.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Oh, that's weird. I don't know what it could be, but had the same experience with one of the shelter dogs last year. He started to "click" when I took him for walks, and we couldn't determine what the cause was, because it didn't stop when we changed his collar, harness, and leash. The vet found a very loose tooth and extracted it, and the clicking stopped. It hadn't sounded like it was coming from his mouth, and the vet had no explanation. :dunno:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ty3535

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Haha oh geez!!! That’s crazy! Well he’s had most of his teeth removed so I can rule that out probably. It’s so weird! I asked a friend and then a neighbor to come over to get a neutral opinion since my husband is trying unsuccessfully to calm me down :lol: I’m not worried it’s anything life threatening obviously but I don’t want him to be in pain and not know it. I know how tricky pets (especially cats!) are when it comes to hiding pain/illness. I think tomorrow I’ll remove the runner rug in my hallway and have him do a few laps to see if I can pin point where it’s coming from. I’ve rubbed/pushed/prodded basically every part of his body and aside from being super annoyed with me he’s totally fine.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does this happen in the same area on the hardwood floor? Sometimes things like humidity causes changes underneath the hardwood floors. There may not be any sound with certain weights but might be with some other weight. Like no sound when humans walk, but sound with the cat's weight.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you check for something entangled in the hairs on the bottom of his paws - maybe between the pads? Having longhaired cats I can tell you if they are clumsy and step in poop in the litter box, it gets between the pads. If it went unnoticed I suppose it could cause the clicking.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You clipped his back claws too? In my experience, it's usually one of the middle back claws. They stick out farther than the rest.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ty3535

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the replies everyone! It’s all over the house, not just one spot. I checked all of his paws throughly and even used a flashlight to get a better view, I didn’t find any litter stuck between toes or anything wrong with the pads. All of his nails are short so I don’t think it’s that.

This morning when he got up I heard it a few times, but not as much as yesterday. I assume if it’s a joint issue it would be worse when he woke up, like with humans and arthritis? So if it’s not that I’m wondering if maybe he landed on one of his legs wrong (he’s super active and I try not to let him jump too frequently but he still does it occasionally) and it’s causing him to maybe put more pressure on one leg than the other. I just can’t really buy into this theory though because he’s not limping at all, he’s still using the stairs normally etc. I’m just running out of theories about what it might be. Especially now, since it seemed to not happen with most of his steps when he woke up which leads me to believe it’s not arthritis or a joint issue.