Clever strays you know?

minish

minish first..
Alpha Cat
Purraise
In my country Turkey shelters are not enough so there are a lot of stray cats roaming around. Most are vaccinated and sterilized then released. If they live in a caring neighborhood, make their first year alive, they usually get by. I find them more clever and endearing than cats with homes. Amazing how cats can adapt to many situations.
This girl (5) lives in the vicinity of my mom's summer house in a complex with 50 houses and a common garden
20200615_172546.jpg

She is the same age as my cat minish, from the same place where I decided to adopt her as kitten. She has no name, her brother's are gone but she gets by, fed by the few people who stay for the winter along with 10 other cats (competition).
Last weekend we opened the house for season. She knows my mom so she came by, asking for food and to be let in. She didn't come close past years because we used to bring minish along who is extremely territorial. this time no minish (opportunity)
So we had a chance to meet more closely. We made her parasite applications and feed her on the porch where she comes as clockwork 3 times a day. Other times she hangs around the house where she grew up, they don't give her food but she knows they are safe to be around.
She is extremely sweet, very good mannered and had even developed a trick of her own, standing on her hind legs raising paw for show.
This week I noticed that she probably had watched minish in past summers. She sits and lays down at exactly the same spots as minish does. She also raises one claw to the fly screen like minish does when she wants in. But doesn't insist as minish does.
Do you know and strays who has learned how to get by?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I knew of a stray, we called her the Grey Lady, who made her life in the nearby neighborhood. She was a strong personality, and quite smart :)

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know if smart is how I would describe the roaming cats around here they have owners who sure aren't. With cars, coyotes, farmers with rifles, hearding dogs and other dangers I don't know how the few roaming cats are even still alive around here.

People often dump unwanted litters of puppies and kittens around here and usually they end up getting squashed by cars or eaten by coyotes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

minish

minish first..
Alpha Cat
Purraise
IndyJones IndyJones in this neighborhood it is usually the other way around. They are born here but some people take them to far places. This is what happened to this girl her mom and her brothers. They were taken somewhere about 3 miles from here and released. Whole family returned a month later of course almost starving. Since they passed this ordeal, they were cared for at least in summers.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
In my neighborhood, there are some very long lived ferals. The biggest threat is coyotes as I am on a very long dead end street so cars do not drive up and down as much as on a through street. However, coyotes are a huge problem and cats and small dogs are killed on a regular basis.

In the LA area it is "popular" to dump animals in the Angeles National Forest or at the beach areas. Your cat is beautiful and looks very loving.