Cleaning teeth

GrimGrim

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So cat food isn't helping my cat clean her teeth. Im going to move to physically cleaning them, but I don't know how many tomes I should. Should I do it every day? Once a week? She is starting to develop gum disease which I really don't want

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Making Cat Food

This is about making cat food, but has a lot of good information on dental health. They brush teeth daily, or at least 6 days a week. :)
Yes, dry food doesn't clean teeth at all. I groom a lot of dogs and cats that are fed dry food only and their teeth are in very bad shape.
My cats are older and won't tolerate brushing, however when I get a kitten some day that is going to be a regular part of our grooming routine training.

tyleete

Queen of the Crazy
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Good luck if they're adults! Mine let me know this will not be happening.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
At least once every 48 hours to prevent plaque build up and for him issues usually once per day.

You may have to find a couple of flavors of cat toothpaste. Mine hated the tuna; they thought it was poison. Magnus likes the malt and Cal likes the beef. I can brush Cal's with the malt but it doesn't go as well.

Most days I use a q-tip with a cardboard middle, not a plastic one so I can compost. And 3-4 times a week I use a human infant toothbrush as they are softer than cat ones and a bit bigger so I don't have to bug my cats as long.

drustone

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know there are certain vet shops where they can brush pets' teeth.