Cleaning My Cat's Butt Question

wildbutterfly17

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So, the fur around her anus is clean, but she has little bits of poop that are stuck to her anus and it seems like it hurts her when I try to wipe them off and they are pretty stubborn. Do I just ignore her whining and use a little more force to clean her, give her a bath, take her to the groomers? First time pet owner.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You can bathe her, certainly. It will take time and patience to get her used to it, and possibly a few scratches, as well! MOST cats do not like water in the least. Since this is a localized issue, you don't need to bathe her all over, which will help. Use a cat-specific shampoo and luke-warm water (cats are heat sensitive), and place a towel in the bottom of the tub so that she won't be slipping. DON'T FORGET TO CLOSE THE BATHROOM DOOR!!!

Alternately, you might try holding a warm, wet washcloth on her bum for a few minutes, then gently wiping with a baby wipe. The warm water may loosen the feces enough that you can remove it without hurting her.

Do be aware that most cat's fannies may have tiny bits of feces on them. But there should not be clumps.

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
They often have what looks like poop on their butt. Like specks. You can use a wet paper towel or wet toilet paper and wipe it. Most cats don't want their butts wiped, just so you know.