Claw trimming

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Is there a way to trim claws without causing a lot of stress? Willow absolutely hates having her claws trimmed, just trimmed them cause they really needed doing, she got shouty and scratchy, I was lucky I didn't get nipped at by her, literally as soon as I touched the first claw with the clippers she started on me, poor baby :heartshape:

Got some scratches from her now (she didn't intentionally scratch, she was panicking and got me while trying to escape),she's ran off to hide now :catrub:

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have always gotten kittens used to idea of getting their nails cut. I will sit down and sit them on their butts on my lap. I use one hand to push out their nails and the other hand for the nail clippers. They are always just resolved to allow me to do it and get it over with asap. You could always wrap them up tightly in a towel and just get one paw out at a time to cut.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Is there a way to trim claws without causing a lot of stress? Willow absolutely hates having her claws trimmed, just trimmed them cause they really needed doing, she got shouty and scratchy, I was lucky I didn't get nipped at by her, literally as soon as I touched the first claw with the clippers she started on me, poor baby :heartshape:

Got some scratches from her now (she didn't intentionally scratch, she was panicking and got me while trying to escape),she's ran off to hide now :catrub:
Try clipping when Willow is sleeping and drowsy and you don't have to clip all at once and don't have to clip it too short, just clip of the the sharp point so that topic don't clip the quick and if you clipped the quick, it'll be very painful for her and it'll bleed. Standby corn starch flour just in case you clip too deep and bleed. Either stick that bleeding claw into the corn flour of pinch some corn flour and put it on the claw to stop the bleeding.

Lots of cats don't like to have their paws touched let alone clipping their nails. On a daily basis, as many times as you can, touch and hold her paw and go through the motion of gently squeezing the paw so to extend the claws and let her get use to it. Do some dry runs.

For me, I clip my boy's nails when he is in a deep sleep and feeling drowsy and trim whatever I can and I continue the next day. Less stress for him and for me.

Edit : If you ever clip the quick, it'll be very painful for the cat and the cat will be very weary of you and the nail clipper the next time you try to clip their nails or just touch their paws.

IMG_2512.JPG
IMG_2513.JPG

IMG_2514.JPG

Last edited:

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The only way I can trim the 4 cats at work is if they have food to be distracted by. Their nails get very long and I can clip off the ends without lifting their feet if I gently apply a tiny bit of pressure to the knuckle to extend the claw, then use my other hand to clip quickly. Sometimes I only get one or two feet done per session, but it's better than nothing!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She was sleepy when I did her claws, she was quick to escalate from sleepy to "your trying to chop my paws off, go away clippers" mode, I've never known a cat escalate as fast as she does at claw clip time, literally she can be asleep and she's trying to make the clippers go away as soon as they touch her claws, going to the vet would stress her out even more, poor baby ❤

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I get my son to hold patches like a baby while we clip his claws. He doesn't like it but it's a lot easier with two people. The hammock what Dewey Dewey mentioned my vet uses. I remember them putting patches in it to take blood.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She was sleepy when I did her claws, she was quick to escalate from sleepy to "your trying to chop my paws off, go away clippers" mode, I've never known a cat escalate as fast as she does at claw clip time, literally she can be asleep and she's trying to make the clippers go away as soon as they touch her claws, going to the vet would stress her out even more, poor baby ❤
How does she react to you handling her paws, with no nail clippers present?

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
How does she react to you handling her paws, with no nail clippers present?
She's happy paws getting touched, if claw clippers have gone to bed ❤

I can touch paws, she doesn't allow everyone to touch paws, she doesn't allow it from men cause apparently men make babies all by themself she thinks :lol: :catlove:

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
There is something called a cat grooming hammock. You can find it on Amazon or in stores. Hope this helps!
Having a look, wouldn't Willow panic at being in it? She needs to feel in control of everything, all the time :catlove: dominant baby ❤

Dewey

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Having a look, wouldn't Willow panic at being in it? She needs to feel in control of everything, all the time :catlove: dominant baby ❤
I think she might, but they hang up on a pole. So even if she panics she can't get out. You can also reward her with a treat after you're done with each paw to show her that this is a positive thing and is not harmful. Also try rubbing or massaging her paws to get her use to it.

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think she might, but they hang up on a pole. So even if she panics she can't get out. You can also reward her with a treat after you're done with each paw to show her that this is a positive thing and is not harmful. Also try rubbing or massaging her paws to get her use to it.
Could she hurt herself in it, in her panic? Worried cause she hates being restrained, as in literally fights to get away if she feels she cannot escape, she will scratch if she has to in order to escape from getting restrained :(

My Ebony was similar, although she would never let herself get put in the position of getting restrained, to the point she would not even come onto a lap just in case she could not escape, the best I ever got from Ebony was one paw gently resting on my leg while she thought about trying out the lap, then she decided nope its not happening just in case a hurtie happens and I need to escape the hurtie :heartshape:

I honestly think poor Ebony had some ptsd going on from what she went through before :bawling:

Last edited by a moderator:

Dewey

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm not really sure if she would hurt herself. I haven't ever used the hammock before I've just seen videos about it

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She's happy paws getting touched, if claw clippers have gone to bed ❤

I can touch paws, she doesn't allow everyone to touch paws, she doesn't allow it from men cause apparently men make babies all by themself she thinks :lol: :catlove:
Try handling her paws and extending a nail or two. How does she react? If she's good with this, can you gently use your fingertips or fingernails to "pretend" to clip her claws? Make absolutely sure the clippers are sharp. Dull clippers will pinch the nail before cutting it. :)

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She pulled her paw away and gave me the "try that again and I will nip you" look :catrub:

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The clippers I used are literally brand new ones as I not sure how to sharpen clippers

Willows tucked up in bed giving me THE LOOK :redheartpump:

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Another thought would be calling a mobile vet or groomer and seeing they'd be willing to teach you how to do it quickly so no one gets upset. :)

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Another thought would be calling a mobile vet or groomer and seeing they'd be willing to teach you how to do it quickly so no one gets upset. :)
I think (Queen) Willow would get upset no matter who trims her claws or how quickly it gets done - nippy baby :catrub: