Ciao Churu

mkatjp

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wonder why most cats like Ciao Churu so much. What is the ingredient which makes that so?
Even the most feral cats gulp it down if they get it.

Last year, a cat from my colony lost her friend in a car accident. She then didn't want to eat anything for weeks.
Only with the help of CiaoChuru, which she really likes, she got healthy again. This photo is from 2 weeks ago, she is 8 or 9 years old.

mamacat.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mkatjp

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry. It is this here, different package as the Canadian one but certainly the same contents.

ciaochuru.jpg

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Churu was one of my cat's least favorite lickable treats. She tired of it almost immediately, and so I didn't feed it to her for quite a while. Now, she is eating it and likes it better than some of the other lickable treats. I was amazed to see so many people on this site talk about how their cats love Churu when mine was pretty ho-hum about it for a long time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mkatjp

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
> Second ingredient is meat or fish.

I don't think it is that. Because there is also a wet food called Ciao (also from Inaba) containing chunks of meat/fish. Sometimes my cats lick away the lickable part and leave behind the chunks. I guess the liquid has a "secret" incredient which they hide in the ingredient list or which they don't disclose.
Other lickable treats from other makers don't get that reaction as CiaoChuru.

And it must smell as the cats jump on it when smelling it.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I just know it REEKS. Like fish heads left in the hot sun. But both my cats love it. Even Kabuto will take a lick or two and he is on palliative care right now (not eating).

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I have the chicken and scallops one by reeks i mean it just smells strongly of seafood kinda like dead fish. It doesn't smell rotten just really seafoody

I also haven't used any tubes besides churu.the only other one not store excusive around here is made by hertz. I don't trust hertz for consumables.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I also haven't used any tubes besides churu.the only other one not store excusive around here is made by hertz. I don't trust hertz for consumables.
Considering I have to find as many lickable treats as I can for Feeby, I bought the Hartz Delectable Squeeze Ups and that is one of her favorites. I also buy the Bisques for her, although those are wearing out on her. That is about all I buy that is Hartz, and I think these are OK. Others on here use the Stews and seem to think they are fine too. IMO, I think you would do OK with these if you need some variety.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would also love to know what it is about Churu specifically. Magnus was always a picky eater but we can always get him to eat a Churu tube

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
IMG_6804.jpeg

Well, there are the ingredients. Doesn’t say what the thickening agent is. What is meant by “minerals” I’m not sure. Do cats need sugars or whatever monascus color is? Actually, I don’t know what half this stuff is. Not saying it’s bad for cats but think I‘d be hesitant til I knew what the thickening agent was at least.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Tapioca i believe.

View attachment 470737

Well, there are the ingredients. Doesn’t say what the thickening agent is. What is meant by “minerals” I’m not sure. Do cats need sugars or whatever monascus color is? Actually, I don’t know what half this stuff is. Not saying it’s bad for cats but think I‘d be hesitant til I knew what the thickening agent was at least.
Not sure where the previous image came from but looks outdated. Theres no added colours in churu.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
From what I can understand Inaba petfood co is the parent company while ciao is their line exclusive to the Japanese market. Whilest churu is the product name its self. In otherwords both churu and ciao are the same company.

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Dry food makers coat the kibble with an aroma and strong flavoring that makes it especially tasty to cats. Without that coating, cats wouldn't touch dry food and it's the reason some cats get addicted to it. It's likely Churu and other treats employ the same strategy.

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I can only give Churu to one of my cats. Even the chicken has a seafood product and the stomach upset isn't worth it. For her I use the Temptations lickable treats, which she seems to love.

Meekie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Churu was the first word my cat learned!

I feed her a tube if she doesn't eat her wet food or has been vomiting a lot. It's a great way to get fluids into her. I always add as much water as I can get away with -- even more hydration -- but also in case she gets ill, or for when she is old. If I give it to her without added water it will be smellier and therefore she's more likely to eat it.

It's also great to mix with some medications. She had diarrhea a while back and needed to take a pinch of powder twice a day. The label said "Very bitter! Mix with food!". Knowing her, any alteration to her food would put her off it so I mixed some in some Churu and she gulped it all down.

I did try mixing some in her food once when she was being overly picky, but she scoffed at it because it made the food too mushy and she probably thought it was pate, which she will NOT eat.