Chronic Nasal Discharge

SierraSweet

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm hoping that this gets to someone who can help.

My kitty has been suffering from bloody nasal discharge for about 2.5 months. It got to the point blood was coming out her nose, and breathing was awful. I decided it was time to put her down. The vet was closed til Friday, so I went to get her a nice "last meal." While out, my car broke down, and had to be towed. Got home late, upset, and tired. Went to sleep, but when I woke up, my kitty was all better! Running, playing, and eating again! So happy my car broke down...it was like a miracle, since the vet couldn't see/do anything previously. It's been three months, and she, all of a sudden, started sneezing blood (again), and choked up a long string of bloody discharge. Now she's snoring-breathing. This all happened in the last half hour.

Will my kitty got better? Did she relapse? I'm wondering if this is going to be a continuing cycle; 2.5 months at deaths door, then huge discharge, then well for 3 months? I can't afford to keep taking her to a vet that can't figure it out. Any suggestions? Anyone? Thanks for listening. 😿

Last edited by a moderator:

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you investigate into the reasons of this nasal discharge?
Euthanasia is a very extreme solution, while often there are other ways to fix the problem. I don't know how it works where you live, but in my country vets never advise pet owners on euthanasia unless it's absolutely necessary because the pet is sick beyond recovery.
TBH, our vets can't even propose the euthanasia, they can only make you understand that they ran out of options.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried any sinus meds, like 1/2 tab of Zertec every day wrapped in a piece of pill pocket, or cheese? My cat had chronic discharge but he had bad lungs. Bloody discharge sounds more like a polyp or tumor. Low dose prednisone can often help in times like these, call and ask your vet. they do have to be weaned off of, make sure you follow instructions exactly.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SierraSweet

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Did you investigate into the reasons of this nasal discharge?
Euthanasia is a very extreme solution, while often there are other ways to fix the problem. I don't know how it works where you live, but in my country vets never advise pet owners on euthanasia unless it's absolutely necessary because the pet is sick beyond recovery.
TBH, our vets can't even propose the euthanasia, they can only make you understand that they ran out of options.
Her twin brother was put to sleep because of nasal cancer (I had him in for a teeth cleaning, vet said he had cancer, and was already under anesthesia). I took Katie in to the vet, he couldn't see anything wrong, and assumed it was URI, and gave antibiotics, to no avail. She was so sick for so long, and blood coming out her nose. But, like I said, she miraculously got better after 2.5 months of being sick. It's just been 24 hours, and the blood is crusting her nose shut. I'm trying not to fuss with her, but gently washing the blood away. She hasn't eaten or drank all day. This is worse than last time. Vets here are booked for over a month. The nearest place that would take her is an emergency hospital, 75 miles away. I can't afford that. I had been asking about the other person here, what finally happened with their kitty. I'm at a loss. She's uncomfortable, but not in pain. Hopefully, she'll just recover like last time, but she's almost 16. She was just playing, and having the zoomies 36 hours ago! It happened literally over 10 minutes time. Sneezing, blood discharge out nose, coughing up blood. She's resting now, with shallow breathing. Thanks for your reply!

SierraSweet

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have you tried any sinus meds, like 1/2 tab of Zertec every day wrapped in a piece of pill pocket, or cheese? My cat had chronic discharge but he had bad lungs. Bloody discharge sounds more like a polyp or tumor. Low dose prednisone can often help in times like these, call and ask your vet. they do have to be weaned off of, make sure you follow instructions exactly.
I didn't think people meds are okay for cats. I was thinking about a saline nasal wash, but hate to mess with her too much, bur may try later, as well as getting some liquids into her. Maybe if I talked to the vet, he might give prednisone without an appointment (he's booked over a month in advance, like all vets here). I'll tell you this, I'll never adopt another kitty without pet insurance! This is brutal. Thank you for your help.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The cat that you see in my profile had a nasal carcinoma in 2011. It all started with her sneezing more and more often. The vet thought it was a URI and gave me some antibiotics, three rounds with three different antibiotics over nearly three months, to no avail. When the cat started sneezing some drops of blood we thought to have a rhinoscopy done and the vet found a mass into one of her nostrils, about half an inch up the nostril, and it was a carcinoma.

My cat was successfully treated with radiotherapy a couple of weeks later, and lived several more years.

Flushing her nose with saline solution was the norm for me, at least five times a day, even after the radiotherapy, because her nose received some damage from it and would produce lots of mucus. But she was fine and happy.

SierraSweet

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The cat that you see in my profile had a nasal carcinoma in 2011. It all started with her sneezing more and more often. The vet thought it was a URI and gave me some antibiotics, three rounds with three different antibiotics over nearly three months, to no avail. When the cat started sneezing some drops of blood we thought to have a rhinoscopy done and the vet found a mass into one of her nostrils, about half an inch up the nostril, and it was a carcinoma.

My cat was successfully treated with radiotherapy a couple of weeks later, and lived several more years.

Flushing her nose with saline solution was the norm for me, at least five times a day, even after the radiotherapy, because her nose received some damage from it and would produce lots of mucus. But she was fine and happy.
Aww! Happy your kitty survived a while longer! I am pretty sure that this is a polyp, because the onset of symptoms was within 5-10 minutes of her sneezing. (Like I've said, this happened before, and miraculously went away in a 36 hour period, after her being sick for 2.5 months!). Cancer, I'm thinking, wouldn't come and go like that. I gently swabbed her nose, held her on her back, and dropped saline in each nostril. She snorted the gunk down, and swallowed it. Upon waking today, only one nostril was caked. I repeated the process today. She is drinking lots of water, and eating a little, whereas yesterday nothing. I would be in favor of them scoping her nose, if the vet weren't so complacent. Thanks for your insight!! Appreciate it immensely! 😽

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't hold the cat on her back and drop saline solution in her nose, she could choke on it and even develop (in the worst case scenario) a pneumonia ab ingestis.
I would hold my kitty in a sitting position, then with a needleless syringe I would gently push the saline solution up her nostrils. As a reaction, she would sneeze, and she would sneeze all the gunk out.
Probably your kitty is eating less because she can't smell her food.
Ask a different vet to have a rhinoscopy done. Whatever it is in her nose, it has to be dealt with in the appropriate way.

SierraSweet

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I wouldn't hold the cat on her back and drop saline solution in her nose, she could choke on it and even develop (in the worst case scenario) a pneumonia ab ingestis.
I would hold my kitty in a sitting position, then with a needleless syringe I would gently push the saline solution up her nostrils. As a reaction, she would sneeze, and she would sneeze all the gunk out.
Probably your kitty is eating less because she can't smell her food.
Ask a different vet to have a rhinoscopy done. Whatever it is in her nose, it has to be dealt with in the appropriate way.
I thank you for your reply. Apologies for not getting back to you sooner. I was cleaning her nose (they were clogged shut with blood/mucus plugs) before I put saline in her nostrils, one at a time. The bleeding has stopped, and she's 97% herself, eating, drinking, and waking me up with her cute yowl-yodel! She's sneezing a bit, which makes me believe something is up her nose (tumor or polyp). Yes, she couldn't smell (or hear!) with that nasty nose. Tried feeding her stinky food, but she wasn't interested. I agree that it would be nice if I could get a vet who would look closely into her nose and mouth. I tried, but it seems that the vets here aren't terribly interested (even though she was snoring-breathing, and miserable). I once had a vet who would give my late kitty a whiff of gas, to make the cat docile enough for ex-rays and slightly invasive exams. Miss that vet, and those who might try to think outside the box, instead of full-on surgical scenarios, without knowing what the issue is. It's stressful for kitty, and stressful for me, not to mention incredibly expensive. Again, thank you for your caring. I really appreciate it. Pray for my kitty, Katie, that she stays healthy this time (or I'm able to find a caring vet, who will properly diagnose the issue). 😺

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't believe that the vets in your area don't want to do what you ask them to do. I don't think they can argue or questioning your requests, after all you're going to pay for what you ask, aren't you?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had a chronic runny/snotty/sneezy cat. She had feline herpes. We treated her with a daily antihistamine and daily rx nose drops.

SierraSweet

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had a chronic runny/snotty/sneezy cat. She had feline herpes. We treated her with a daily antihistamine and daily rx nose drops.
Thank you for your information. My vet could barely look into her nose (she's very squirmy!) and just shrugged his shoulders, and assumed it was an URI. Nope. She's better, now, but this problem has happened twice now, about every 2-3 months. It's hard to watch. She's now playing, and zooming around the house like a kitten (and she'll be 16 years old in 4 days!!). Again, thank you for your reply. I appreciate any info I can get! 😺

SierraSweet

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I can't believe that the vets in your area don't want to do what you ask them to do. I don't think they can argue or questioning your requests, after all you're going to pay for what you ask, aren't you?
Yes, well, I am baffled with vets around here. I paid a lot ($1,500 for a previous cat) just to be passed from one vet to another, just to be told my cat couldn't get surgery for a benign jaw tumor. Even went to a surgical center 100 miles away, and asked them to PLEASE get the x-ray from a previous vet, so they could see the situation in advance, and not subject my kitty to stress, and not kill my pocketbook. They didn't do that, and they charged $250 for a consultation! I was incredibly angry. Thank you for taking the time to answer me. My girl is better now, but I think this situation will be a recurring one. She will be fine for two plus months, then sneeze blood, and get plugged up with blood, then 3 days later, she's better. It's frustrating and scary.