Chronic Loose Stool

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
~ I don't know the answer to your question but I bet the chicken is the best thing for kitty. As long as she gets enough taurine. My cats go crazy when I steam chicken. ( Sometimes I even get a piece ! ) If I only had a few cats that is what I would feed them. Also brewer's yeast and some chicken liver/heart .
Somebody who knows more will come along and help you . All the best ...:hellocomputer:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Plain meat shouldn't be more than 10% of the diet even if regular cat food is also given. Try slowly reducing the amount of boiled chicken until your cat is eating only cat food. A few pieces of meat daily is fine as a treat.

You can try canned cat food that is just shredded chicken, too. Weruva's Paw Lickin Chicken is one and is a complete balanced diet.

Feeding both dry and canned is generally recommended for kittens. Is the hydrolyzed food available in a canned version?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Remi13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So after talking to the vet, she said we had to take the ground chicken away and only feed Remi hypoallergenic food.
Sure enough, we're back at liquid poops and accidents outside the box. Her poops were PERFECT on half chicken, half hydrolyzed food.
Vet says we have to do 8 weeks of being on this food to determine whether it works. I can't have her making this kind of mess six times a day in my house. My husband has had enough and has even suggested rehoming her.
I don't understand why I can't keep her on half chicken and half hypoallergenic food and s boulliardi if it's working. I understand that I'm not "supposed to" but why not if it's working?

Remi13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Remi is a 5 month old kitten.
We got her from shelter. She had diarrhea.
Treated with metrodiazanole, panacur, albon over course of August.
Still had diarrhea.
Had advanced blood and fecal tests. All negative.
Put on plain chicken and s boulliardi for a week and saw good improvement.
Vet suggested hydrolyzed/hypoallergenic food to see if food allergy. Mixed it with chicken over course of week and Remi was doing great.
Contacted vet to see if we could continue this way. She said no. Must go strictly with hypo food.
Within 24 hours of reducing chicken we were back to square one.

I just want to cry.

Remi13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just seems obvious to me that she needs the protein. I was giving her half chicken and half dry. The amount of dry she was getting coordinated with the amount in the bag for her weight, so doesn't that mean she's getting the required nutrition?

Remi13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I should also add that vet said Remi needs to be strictly on this food for 8 weeks to determine if it works.

We're on day 3.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know that if a food allergy is suspected, they have to be on hydrolised food only for about 10 weeks or so then introduce a protein one at a time to try to find the one causing the problem but if your kitten was doing ok on hydrolised and chicken then I cant understand the reason for removing it unless it was replaced by another protein to see if there is a reaction. Its strange why she is getting diarrhoea on hydrolised only. In your situationI would have your vet explain it to you or get a second opinion. Hopefully other members will respond with their experiences.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
While plain chicken meat alone is not sufficient nutrition, it can be made balanced and complete with the addition of a nutrient mix like EZ Complete. EZ Complete is a good option because you can balance plain meat without having to add liver and you can balance it down a single portion instead of having to create large batches.

Food Fur Life - EZ Homemade raw food for pets!

But if you aren't going to use a nutrient mix like EZ Complete or Alnutrin to make the meat balanced and complete, then consider plain meat a treat, and reduce it to no more than 10% of her calories.

4catsand1dog

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I should also add that vet said Remi needs to be strictly on this food for 8 weeks to determine if it works.

We're on day 3.
Was there ever a resolution/solution to this? I’m fostering a kitten with the exact same issue, right down to the hydrolyzed food making everything worse.