Chronic Loose Stool

Remi13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all,
I need to figure out how to get my cat's loose stool under control. I'm open to suggestions. Here's what you need to know:

Cat facts: 5 minth old ginger female kitten, weighs 4.5 lbs, was bottle fed and rescued. Adopted from rescue group in early July. History showed tapeworm, coccidia. Treated and cleared.

Behavior: Drinks a lot of water, constantly wants to eat, very playful and alert, coat is shiny, eyes clear.

Since I've had her she was diagnosed with giardia and most recently coronavirus.

She's been on fortiflora, panacur, metrodiazanole, albon, pro pectalin.

The problem is her bowel movements. They were a 5 when we first got her. They were better, between a 2 and 3, towards the end of metro, even better for a week where I fed her only chicken and rice. Then boom. Back to a 7.

I've tried pumpkin, chicken and rice.
She's eating dry food only because wet makes it worse.

What else can I do to firm up stool? Psylium? Konjac Root? Metamucil?

Help!!!!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Has the vet run a diarrhea PCR test? That would be a starting point. Then, look at her diet. Have you changed food variety or brand? Have you tried any Rx food? I have a kitty who has bouts of diarrhea and we have to feed him Rx food.

Here's an article that might help, too. My Cat Has Diarrhea - What Do I Do?

bitkit

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had a similar experience with my kittens recently, I first treated them with panacur which seemed to have solved the problem but the diarrhea came back in about 2 weeks. I went on the assumption that they had a parasite and that I didn't completely deal with it. I gave them another round of panacur along with toltrazuril 5% and the same outcome. I finally gave them panacur with metronidazole and I think the problem is over.

Maybe if you were to post some pics of the poop and describe it in detail others will be able to help you out better.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Remi13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Warning. Poop picture!

This is what we're dealing with.

We've had 4 regular office fecal flotation and a PCR.

Right now she is on Purina kitten foid- dry only- 4x a day.

Attachments

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She prob drinks a lot because she has fluidy diarrhea.

Make sure a big part of her fluids is pedialyte to compensate for salt losses.

If you can get raw goats milk it may be wort a try.

Remi13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Warning. Poop picture!

This is what we're dealing with.

We've had 4 regular office fecal flotation and a PCR.

Right now she is on Purina kitten foid- dry only- 4x a day.

Remi13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok, the probiotics mentioned in the first response have been purchased. I'm going to try twice a day to start off with about a quarter of a pill. My cat only weighs 4 and 1/2 pound so I don't want to overdo it.

Here's to hoping this helps!

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I were you I would switch to a high protein, grain-free food in case she has a grain intolerance. My cat eats Acana Wild Prairie - it's advertised as for both adult kittens and adult cats. It is a bit risky though because it has a long list of ingredients so increases chances of having something the cat is intolerant to.

It's not common but coronavirus causes diarrhea and other digestive issues in some cats. I was told Fortiflora helps to boost the immune system too. Two vets I know actually recommend it to the cats with coronavirus (One of them don't even have a clinic so definitely not something to make you buy stuff.) There is not enough data on how effective it is though.

Remi13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is day 2 of S boulardii.
Stool is inconsistent. She'll have one that looks at about a 3 on fecal scale, then next one is down to 5.

We go to vet tomorrow for blood work.

bitkit

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If it isn't still being caused by a parasite that wasn't detected by the tests, I might give Hyperbiotics Pro-Pet a try, they're enteric coated and I've never had a cat not beg for them. I personally like their entire line.

bitkit

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Pro-pet isn't enteric coated, they've something called BIO-tract -

BIO-tract vs. Enteric Coated and Veggie Capsules

Most probiotic supplements are in veggie capsules that offer no protection from a harsh stomach environment, meaning that many of the beneficial organisms do not survive long enough to deliver the full benefit. Enteric coated probiotic capsules offer some protection from stomach acids with a few drawbacks. Most enteric coatings are made of a synthetic chemical that the capsule is then dipped into. In addition to unwanted added chemicals, the capsule contains air and the coating contains moisture that may be detrimental to the probiotic organisms. You see, freeze-dried probiotic powder is ‘hygroscopic,’ meaning that it seeks out moisture. The beneficial flora will start wicking the moisture away from the air and the coating, which may start killing the living probiotics inside. Essentially, the air inside both veggie capsules and enteric coated capsules can cause the living organisms inside to self-destruct, leading to a far less potent product.

Instead of a coating or a capsule, we tablet our formulas using a patented manufacturing process called LiveBac and a patented delivery method called BIO-tract, which provide protection for the beneficial flora while on the shelf (as there is minimal air and moisture) and as the tablet travels through the harsh environment of your pet’s stomach acids. Simply put, this leads to greater probiotic delivery to your pet’s gut, and potentially greater health benefits for your pet. Furthermore, BIO-tract ensures that the active organisms are released slowly over an 8-10 hour period while making the journey through the intestinal tract, successfully bypassing your pet’s stomach acids so that they can colonize in their small and large intestine, where your pet needs them.

Remi13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi!
I have 2 questions:

1. How long can I keep a 5 month old kitten on s boulliardi?

2. Can I give her homemade kefir and s bouillardi at the same time?

For those of you have been following, my 5 month old rescue kitten had soft stool for a month and a half. Treated for giardia and coccidia with various antibiotics. Had advanced fecal and blood tests- all results normal, except positive for corona, which is dormant.. Used s boulliardi and have seen marked improvement in stool Must keep her immunity levels up though. Would like to add kefir.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Used s boulliardi and have seen marked improvement in stool Must keep her immunity levels up though. Would like to add kefir.
1. I think you definitely should ask this to the vet. You might want to discuss the dosage too.

2. If you are already using something that works, adding something else could be an unnecessary risk to take at this point. Kefir/yogurt... while these can be good treats to give occasionally, not all cats handle them well. Also be careful store kefirs and yogurts sometimes have additional ingredients some of which might be troubling.

Remi13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,

We were using florastor for about a week and my cat stools are looking a lot better. I was giving her 250 milligrams twice a day.

I was running out of florastor and it an effort to save money I bought the jarrow brand not everyone recommends. The only difference is that it has mos in it. I have given my cat one dose and she now has diarrhea even worse than before. Pure liquid. She still eating and she's well hydrated.

Is this a herxheimer reaction? How long until this wears off? Should I stop giving her as boulliardi all together or go back to the florastor? Help!

Remi13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Stupid autocorrect.
Jarrow is what everyone recommends.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use s. boullardi without the MOS from Now brand. I haven't noticed it causing diarrhea, but anything is possible.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Remi13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wonder if the MOS is what's causing the problem. It's a prebiotic that wasn't in the florastor.

Remi13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, Long story short.
5 month old kitten
Had diarrhea and loose stool
Treated for worms, giardia
Had advanced fecal and blood tests. All clear.
Now on diet change.

I've been feeding Remi boiled chicken for about 3/4 of diet and the hydrolyzed food for 1/4 for about two weeks. Her stools have been much better. It's a huge improvement.

If I am feeding her the recommended amount of hydrolyzed food on the bag, is it okay to continue to supplement with boiled chicken?