Votes: 8 42.1%
  • Don't get one

Votes: 1 5.3%

• Total voters

Summercats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would probably go for the slightly calmer cat as your older cat had issues but as was said, meet them and decide.
Whichever you choose make sure they get lots of play time and attention as they will be less likely to look to the older cat for a great deal of entertainment. Make sure your daughter respects the cats boundaries and lets the kitten sleep when tired, kittens need lots of sleep. Playing with them if possible before your bedtime is good to wear them out, so you can sleep.
Just curious is anyone else looking at the kittens as well or do you have final choice?

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww the dark one is lovely however both adorable . Email and ask about personalities as at that age they will be visible . Grace was the only kitten at the house (she was a kinda rescue ) she bit and scratched as soon as we touched her. She was 7 weeks then and still bites and scratches now at 14 months so not much has changed apart from she’s much bigger :) I ain’t know much about pedigrees either so will let the experts comment . Mine again a moggy with attitude!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

auntie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
S Summercats & daisyd daisyd

Thanks so much for your perspectives!

The breeder has been sending me pictures every week, so I will ask her when I see them today. She seems to be very honest and responsible, so I’m sure I’ll get a good idea from speaking to her.

auntie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
S Summercats
Actually yeah, all the kittens are reserved but I have first choice between the two females. I believe it’s final decision at 8 weeks...in fairness to the others on the reservation list. So I definitely want to choose correctly!

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When choosing from a litter of kittens or puppies, pick the second or third one that comes up to approach you.

The first one to approach is likely to be the most extroverted one.
The last one to approach is likely to be the most skittish one.

The ones that come in between are the ones who have the more normative personality traits because they use social cues from the others that have already approached you in order to tell whether it's okay to approach the stranger.

The first one jumps right in and is likely to be more aggressive, later in life.
The last one is too afraid, even if all the others are having fun playing with the "new human."
The second, third and subsequent ones stayed back and watched the ones that came before until they were confident that they could safely approach.

Thus, those "middle of the pack" ones are the most social and have the most easy-going personalities.

This doesn't mean if you just fall in love with one or the other that you shouldn't choose it because it was the first or the last. However, all other things being equal, the way they approach a "new human" can tell a lot about how a potential adoptee will act later in life.

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
auntie auntie - I have had two Siberians, both from the same breeder, but entirely different lines. They both had a ton of personality and very sweet loving natures. But different.

Boris was extremely laid-back and had a live-and-let-live philosophy, though he did have rules I needed to follow. He was a great cat and maybe one of the best friends I have ever had. He did not like to be held, but he was a devoted lap cat.:catrub: Gone for 18 months and I still miss him every day. :rbheart:

Old photos 4years - 029 2.jpg

Boris

Leo I have had for about 15 months. He is quite different from Boris. He is very affectionate and will seek me out for pets more than Boris did. But unlike Boris, he is a dominant cat and he sees himself as the king of the house and master of the other cats! :D Even so, he has been a very easy cat, causing very few problems. I have "trained" him to be a lap cat. It wasn't hard, since he likes to be held. He has never bit or scratched.

L+S 034 banner s.jpg

Leo

The two kittens in the pictures are cuties! With six week old kittens, the breeder should have a good idea about personality. She should be able to help you with your choice. I suspect either one would be a great addition to your household. Choose the one you think will mesh with LK the best. Also, if you connect more with one kitten than the other, that should be taken into account. She will be your kitty and you don't want regrets affecting the relationship. And of course, a proper introduction can make a big difference in how LK gets along with the new kitty.

I hope you love Siberians as much as I do.

auntie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all, you were right; the breeder was happy to answer questions. She says that as of now, the light-colored tortie point seems calmer and quieter than the dark-colored seal point, and is more comfortable with being picked up and handled. The seal point is the smallest in the litter, and a little bit shy. She says that she and her husband are going to continue socializing both of them and work on confidence with the seal point.

I guess I’ll see what the little ones are like in a couple of weeks when I visit! I’m looking forward to meeting them and also the breeder.

Last edited:

catmomma627

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't have experience with siberians, but I will say this. The day that I got Luna, I went to see her litter, dead set on adopting her sister, who was a muted gray tortie. There were only 3 left from the litter, the tortie and a black male and black female. I was dead set against getting a black cat.

When get there the little black female just kept cuddling with me legs as I sat down and it just felt right. I took her home that day and she became my sweet little Luna. I really do believe you'll just know.

I had the same feeling when I walked into the shelter and saw Zoey. I knew she was mine right away.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Two and a half years ago, I tried really hard "sorting" through several kittens' photos at a rescue. It was agonizing. I thought I had picked out the perfect one, I felt I was "all in" for choosing her -- but I had another kitten picked out as a tentative 2nd choice. The thing is, the right one picked me out when I finally went to meet them. The first one was completely in her own world of play and ignored me. The instant I saw my second choice, she saw me too and clambered right up onto my shoulder, hung her paw out, and settled in. Turns out it wasn't my decision, it was hers and I'm so glad she picked me! So, how you connect with them when you meet them will be the clincher.

EggSandwich

Cinnamon's roll
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'd choose one on personality like others have said. When you're meeting them, just let one of them choose you. Eye contact, coming up and greeting you are two great signs. You'll know it when you see it. Regardless of which one you choose, you'll form a great bond with either of them.

I know that you'll be meeting them when they turn 8 weeks old, correct? I'd wait to adopt which ever one at least another week or so from that, though. Cinnamon (who was a free offer from a lady at work) (in my profile picture) was a hand full when we first got her at 8 weeks. She'd known that she had to use the litterbox (only one accident in total, which we moved the litterbox there) but she didn't know how to bury her stuff. She'd just go on top of the litter for a while. We had to follow her around and bury it for her :lol:. They need more time with mom to learn these things, I think.
A breeder is also a chance to get a well-socialized kitten. Cinnamon was not socialized as far as I know, but she is pretty good with dogs! I don't have one myself, but when the guy we got her from drove her to meet us at a gas station, she was in her carrier (thank God) and this guy had 2 dogs and they were biting her head off. I'm surprised it didn't deafen her! The thing was, she wasn't scared of them! She's not scared of our visitors either, so that's good. Anyways, my point is that I'm glad you're adopting her from a breeder where she can be properly socialized and a confirmed clean bill of health (did I mention Cinnamon's flea and worm problems?)

Welcome to the site! We're glad to have you here.

auntie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@nansiludie & EggSandwich EggSandwich

Thanks for writing! Well, I can’t take both because all the kittens in this litter are spoken for. I just have first choice, which is a mixed blessing!
Also, we would be bringing her home at 12-13 weeks...around the end of December. So she’ll have extra time with mother for immunity etc. And I’ll have extra time to figure out how to introduce her to Little Kitty!

auntie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Looks like we’ll be taking kitten A (the dark one). None of the kittens really came running up to me, because of the timing of our visit. But the one I was thinking of, based on the description, turned out to be very dominant in behavior and super active. She was totally beautiful but she also did not seem to like me too much! She was also not interested in my daughter. She will make a fantastic pet for somebody else. Our kitty was quiet but calmly let us pick her up and hold her. She didn't hiss or try to hide. Her size is small, which will also be a good thing in the long run. The breeder was so nice and all of the cats were really healthy and had access to the whole house. I'll be posting for kitten-specific intro tips, but thanks so much for all of your advice! Wish me luck...

auntie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
daisyd daisyd
Yes, that little girl was my favorite in the pictures! I was worried she would be skittish but she was calm and sweet. Yay! :)

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She’ll be fine. I didn’t choose grace . She was the only kitten in the place - she is very skittish; fiesty and nuts at the same time but you make it work !