Chocolate or Seal Point?

haleyds

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hey all!
I'm bringing home my baby girl 4 weeks from now, she's a Himmie and she's currently about to be 6 weeks old. Her father is a darker chocolate point and her mother is a blue-seal point. Can anybody guess at what she will be?

Last edited by a moderator:

kkoerner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Baby looks Seal Point. Her nose looks pretty drk. Pictures can be hard to tell from though, because of different lighting.

I'm not sure what you mean by blue-seal point, as she can't technically be both. Seal point is genetically black, though it appears brown, and blue is genetically dilute black....in order to be a dilute (blue) they have to have 2 copies of the dilute gene and cannot also be full color (seal).

Chocolate points will have a BROWN nose and whiskers with rosey paw pads. Seal points usually have a black nose and darker paw pads. Chocolate is also recessive I believe, meaning that in order to be chocolate they would have to get 2 copies of the chocolate modifier gene too (chocolate is an alternate allele of black).

So...if daddy is chocolate, and momma is seal but has one copy of the chocolate allele, the baby could be chocolate. If not, baby would be seal point but carry chocolate.

If momma is blue, and daddy is chocolate, this baby is a seal point but carrying both chocolate and dilute genes....I think. Not totally sure on that last one.

kkoerner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok so in order for her to be Chocolate, her mom would have to carry that gene AND have passed that copy on to baby!

Most likely, she is seal point, but does have a copy of the chocolate gene from dad, which can sometimes make seal points be a little lighter.

She looks Seal point to me, but seeing her in person and time will tell. Since the babies start out lighter and darken with age, chocolate is usually pretty light as a baby. But, if you get her and she has pinkish/rosey paw pads she is chocolate (unless she has white feet). Dark brown, grey, or black....Seal point.

Here is what I mean by different lighting making it hard to distinguish chocolate from even black, much less Seal....

My cat is chocolate.
In the sun:

In brighter light inside:

Not much light, inside:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

haleyds

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh wow! Your cat is beautiful! Thanks so much again?

kkoerner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Your baby is so cute! :-)

They pink is ok. See how the toes still look dark and i think the points look seal. Since this baby carries a chocolate gene, the seal will probably be lighter and you can get some pink tones on the paw pads. :-)

biancavd

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The difference between chocolate and seal point is really small. If you want to be sure, we will need a lot lighter pictures, preferred that the picture matches the real color best. Also, the tail and ears and nose and pawpads can best help with finding out the color.

Get us some brighter pictures and we will be able to help you ^^

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

haleyds

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
biancavd biancavd she's never still so she has trouble taking pictures of her lol. When I get her in a few weeks I'm going to be taking much better pictures. Here are two more recent ones, two of her paws are cinnamon pink and two are brown! Although, I am leaning more towards seal at this point because of her ears.